Strange Humming Noise

alex g

I have a 2000 CH with E7 350. On Sat I noticed a strange noise while idling. Kinda sounds like a pump when it's low on oil. I've checked fluid levels pulled fan belt of and ran truck. Engaged and disengage clutch no difference. Held high tech broom handle against engine trying to trace and nothing. Any help would be appreciated

When you had the belt Off, Did you give everything (Alternator,Fan Hub, Idler pulley, ECT.) a Spin By hand. to see if there's a bad bearing somewhere ???

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

5 hours ago, alex g said:

I'll check centramax filter. If it's the oil pump do they just get noisy or should I replace it?

I had overhauled an E7 some time ago and it had a hum right where the oil pump was located. We contacted Mack reman center and was told to not worry about it, known issue. Since then I have noticed it more often but never seen an oil pressure issue related to the noise.

• 1 month later...

Haven't gotten to the bottom of this problem but I was told yesterday my steering pump which is a Luk brand has issues with bypassing. This could cause the noise. I have to get a pressure gauge on it to see if that's the problem but the place to test it is a couple hours away and until I have work in that direction it can wait. I'll update this when I get to that point.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

just a thought,,,, yes non mack spinners can fail... i witnessed a napa filter explode once,,, i couldnt belive it... anyway, check the spinner spindle... the filter has brass bushings, however,,, these filters spin out grit,,, anyway, like I said, just a thought.. i have only replaced a few metal housings due to spindle wear, usually they are crushed from over tightening and become egg shaped. Merry Christmas.. Jojo

• Like 1

My AMI 370 makes a noise like that did replace the oil pump and it did quite down some. I saw you were asking on my post of I ever figured it out, truck hasn't been used much for over a year now and I have been in the process of repainting it and going over everything . Will be back on the road next spring.

But from what I have learned is it is not uncommon, stoped by a local guys shop that runs macks and he started his up and it sounded like mine,told me it has been making that noise for 200k miles.

Guess time will tell,next spring I'm putting it back on the road.