Dodge Road Tractors

Kenworth had adds back in the 70's for their mid size trucks that went something like

"Most mid size trucks are lightweights built up, at Kenworth we heavy heavyweights built down"

Those Dodge Big Horns look like a lightweight built up job to me

Paul

a local contractor had a bighorn for many many many years he used to pull his lowboy trailer. he finally replaced it with a T800 when it would not pass emissions two years ago. 

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

4 hours ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

Anybody got memories of the old Dodge road tractors?  The "LCF" (Low Cab Forward) series was pretty common around home.  But, I only remember 1 Bighorn model.  I read that only about 261 Bighorns were made over 3 years.  Here is a pic off the internet of one of those.  Nice nose, huh?

Pretty sure is was that Bighorn that a local guy died in, and the truck was rebuilt with a Peterbilt cab on it.

Dodge Bighorn

That's a picture of the first one.  From what I understand, it was sold to a Bekins mover on the west coast, repainted white and a sleeper was installed.  I think the truck still exists someplace, there is/was a guy in Georgia that collected those things and I think he had it.  Anyway, I only saw a couple of them and they were quite a bit different than the Dodge C series trucks.  Cab was a bit similar but had a different dash and no doghouse.  Heard it wasn't a bad truck. 

The one I knew of, which was wrecked and rebuilt with a Peterbilt cab, stayed in service for a long, long time. Had Cummins power and a 13 speed Road Ranger. I got to drive it a couple of miles once, pulling a dump trailer, just to help out a neighbor. Looked funny seeing gauges with Dodge pentastars on them in a Pete. ‘Course, the blue and white Pete looked funny sitting on a green Dodge frame, too!

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."