B61 END-673 Engine oil change

I'm changing the oil in the truck now that I have filters, and need to know a good brand of oil to use. My Case skidloader gets Case diesel oil and my gas trucks, and antique Chevy get Castrol. Anybody use Castrol Diesel 15-40? I think I'll need about 25-26 quarts, sound right?

Thanks in advance.

A friend stopped in today and dropped this new bucket of oil off that he's had since he sold his R600. He doesn't remember why he didnt use it. I'm going to do some research on it and see the specs compared to pennzoil. Any problems with using it that anyone is aware of?

20200827_180537.jpg

http://www.phillips66lubricants.com.hk/products_diesel.html

55 Gallon 

Applications 
• On-highway diesel trucks equipped with cooled-EGR, ACERT or other technologies to meet 2004 and earlier exhaust emission standards 
• Older diesel equipment with conventional, non-EGR engines 
• Mixed fleets with both diesel and gasoline-fueled vehicles 
• Off-highway construction, earth moving and mining equipment 
• Farm equipment with diesel or gasoline engines 

Hydroclear Power-D meets or exceeds the requirements of: 

• API Service CI-4 with CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, SL
• Cummins CES 20078
• Detroit Diesel DFS 93K214
• Mack EO-N Premium Plus 03
• Renault VI RLD-2 
• Volvo VDS-3
• ACEA E7-04, E5-02, E3-96
• Caterpillar ECF-2, ECF-1-a
• Cummins CES 20077
• Global DHD-1 ˙MAN 271, 3275
• Mercedes-Benz Sheet 228.3
• MTU MTL 5044 Type 2 

backtotop.jpg

power-d-b.jpg

Edited by mrgumby
  • Thanks 1

Don't think any of the oils will hurt. It is pretty much a personal choice. My END 673 P engine used the Delvac 15W40 before the rebuild. Most of us don't pull heavy trailers or other items today, like our trucks once did, new. Just my observance through the years. As I recall, Freight train aka Larry uses Rotella and has had very good results and he uses his Mack, cross country pulling a trailer. 

Ok Larry it is your turn to chime in.  

• Like 2

Thanks for the opinions guys. Im still waiting on the filters. Apparently they got lost in the mail. I guess ill just drop the oil and pull that inspection/sediment pan in the meantime. Can that be put on with gasket maker or is there a gasket that should be purchased?

On 8/27/2020 at 11:27 PM, Mike said:

Don't think any of the oils will hurt. It is pretty much a personal choice. My END 673 P engine used the Delvac 15W40 before the rebuild. Most of us don't pull heavy trailers or other items today, like our trucks once did, new. Just my observance through the years. As I recall, Freight train aka Larry uses Rotella and has had very good results and he uses his Mack, cross country pulling a trailer. 

Ok Larry it is your turn to chime in.  

Rotella for me too.

• Haha 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Old traditions (habits) die young. I'm a retired Firefighter and traditions are very hard to break in the fire service. Still to this day I cannot wear brown work shoes. Black shoes and white shocks are part of the uniform. One tradition I found when I first became a Firefighter was every time we returned from a run we'd wash the wheels of our equipment. If we left the firehouse and got recalled a block away before we backed the trucks in station we'd wash the wheels. Clean or dirty the wheels always got washed. The rest of the truck could be filthy and put away but the wheels had to be washed. WHY? It's a tradition from back in the days with horse drawn equipment. You ALWAYS have to clean the shi_ off the wheels.

I've always used Rotella but I'm willing to change it up and try something different. A friend is a synthetic oil dealer. I tried synthetic oil in the Wife's Jeep 30,000 miles ago and kept checking it along the way and it always came back clean and I didn't need add a quart along the way. I figure that is proof enough for me to try something different. But I still am not wearing brown shoes. 

Side note - I tried synthetic gear lube in the transmission of my 1969 FLH and the bike hated it. Ground gears with every shift.

Edited by tenfive0
  • Like 1

Mack 11E.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2020 at 7:13 AM, tenfive0 said:

Old traditions (habits) die young. I'm a retired Firefighter and traditions are very hard to break in the fire service. Still to this day I cannot wear brown work shoes. Black shoes and white shocks are part of the uniform. One tradition I found when I first became a Firefighter was every time we returned from a run we'd wash the wheels of our equipment. If we left the firehouse and got recalled a block away before we backed the trucks in station we'd wash the wheels. Clean or dirty the wheels always got washed. The rest of the truck could be filthy and put away but the wheels had to be washed. WHY? It's a tradition from back in the days with horse drawn equipment. You ALWAYS have to clean the shi_ off the wheels.

I've always used Rotella but I'm willing to change it up and try something different. A friend is a synthetic oil dealer. I tried synthetic oil in the Wife's Jeep 30,000 miles ago and kept checking it along the way and it always came back clean and I didn't need add a quart along the way. I figure that is proof enough for me to try something different. But I still am not wearing brown shoes. 

Side note - I tried synthetic gear lube in the transmission of my 1969 FLH and the bike hated it. Ground gears with every shift.

Clean rims/tires always makes a vehicle look clean.  Nothing worse then brown ugly tires on a clean vehicle.  I do get the horse and buggy deal!

The thinner oil makes the shafts spin easier, thus shift timing gets screwed up.  I started running synth in my race car and it takes much longer for the shafts to stop when trying to put it in gear after starting the engine with the clutch out..  The old 90w gear was much thicker!

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"