1979 Mack R with Dump Trailer

Could be a nice truck but me myself I would have spent my chrome stack money on some body work and maintenance.

Not meaning to offend. But I see it all the time and wonder why some people don't fix the truck up but will load it with chrome?

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Bullheaded said:

Not meaning to offend. But I see it all the time and wonder why some people don't fix the truck up but will load it with chrome?

Just much less job and more show out.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Don't know the owner but know what you are saying.  

Maybe he bought new stacks and ran the exhaust making sure things fit and then he will start fixing the rest of the truck???

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

I hear ya. I don't know the owners story either.

Was in a bad mood this morning. Had to replace a cracked dust/inspection plate on my lift axle because the original cracked and was rattling. And of coarse dealer had none in stock when they did annual safety the other day.

So simple job....one nut and one hose clamp. But hendrickson in their infinite wisdom designed it so you have to pull the wheel and the brake drum to get that one nut and bolt off. Awesome. Just what I wanted to do at 6:30 am.

use to be my ex boss's truck before we got an 82 with a 300 and 9 speed roadranger. that truck has a 237 and 5 speed and hauled a lowboy most of its life..... and a dump trailer. trust me be glad it looks as good as it did. it use to have weigh receipts from the put in the glovebox for 100.000 gross in a Fruehauf bathtub on a tandem trailer..

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

3 hours ago, Bullheaded said:

I hear ya. I don't know the owners story either.

Was in a bad mood this morning. Had to replace a cracked dust/inspection plate on my lift axle because the original cracked and was rattling. And of coarse dealer had none in stock when they did annual safety the other day.

So simple job....one nut and one hose clamp. But hendrickson in their infinite wisdom designed it so you have to pull the wheel and the brake drum to get that one nut and bolt off. Awesome. Just what I wanted to do at 6:30 am.

Hope it wasn't a spoke hub, that makes it worse at 6:30 am. We pull them off and never put them back on. Horribly annoying to check brake linings, and horribly annoying when stones get caught in there.

11 hours ago, JoeH said:

Hope it wasn't a spoke hub, that makes it worse at 6:30 am. We pull them off and never put them back on. Horribly annoying to check brake linings, and horribly annoying when stones get caught in there.

No, super single budd on a dump truck steering lift axle. And yes, I do have to deal with the odd stone in the rear axles. But the bad thing is with no plates it's easy for the MTO (DOT) to look inside and some of those guys will see a scratch and say "it's cracker, out of service." The less they can see, the better.

Right on Maddog. I spent a lot of years pulling dump trailer also with R Models. Mostly tri-axle 30/36 King dump trailers, a framelss Raglan with a bath tub box and two Raglan 5 axle Hydra-Glides (48 foot frame with a 36 foot box that slides back to dump.)

On 5/1/2020 at 9:08 AM, j hancock said:

Classic lines of the R model Mack.

1979 Mack R tractor  2015 BS.JPG

never cared as much  for the R-model hood after they changed to a three piece    hood. older one piece was nicer  looking without the seam on back fender wells. times change . sure it must have been cheaper to make ..