1970 Autocar Holmes 750

Prowrench

20 hours ago, carlotpilot said:

that one should be a breeze 

Yah easy peasy no problem I got this haha the cab needs a lot of work the wrecker is all there and had been taken care of only needs the body repaired or  I might just make an entirely new  body I do have a line on a couple of cabs. but working on these old trucks of mine is always relaxing and enjoyable

1 hour ago, Prowrench said:

Yah easy peasy no problem I got this haha the cab needs a lot of work the wrecker is all there and had been taken care of only needs the body repaired or  I might just make an entirely new  body I do have a line on a couple of cabs. but working on these old trucks of mine is always relaxing and enjoyable

if you should come across a usable cab  for less than a small fortune that you don`nt need let me know will you? I have a really rough ac that I hope to do smething with--------- or parts of

Edited by carlotpilot

5 hours ago, mowerman said:

man that thing looks really clean,,,also looks older that 70.....have a ball with it,,,bob

The cab is in very poor condition and the wrecker body is in bad shape but the wrecker itself is in really good shape nothing worn out ,bent, broken or missing. I found a good one that's for sure

• 2 weeks later...

I always liked the looks of the A64F.  You don't see many around.  BTW, that's a pretty stout Donaldson breather on that thing!

Good luck with it and show us some progress pics.

• Like 1

"If it's all the sime to you... I'll droyve that tankah"   Max Rockatansky (The Road Warrior)

• 4 months later...
On 4/18/2020 at 2:57 AM, Prowrench said:

1970 Autocar Cummins 335 Roadranger 13 and Hendrickson suspension Holmes 750 extended boom Just bought it today only pulled out of service in January of 2019 because owner retired. The owner who is 81 was forced to retire because he has extreme difficulty getting in and out of the truck since he broke his neck at age 79.He's a tough old dude and a pleasant man to converse with.

1970 Autocar1.jpg

1970 Autocar2.jpg

1970Autocar3.jpg

Great looking truck and a nice project to get into.. These are my favourite Autocars. I have one on my list of to do model projects. I have already 3D printed a hood for it but have got a bit hung up on how the front end goes together. Would you be able to take some pics with the hood up? I'm trying to get a look at the frame horns and Radiator mounting but there are so few of these around now that getting any detai is almost impossible.

12 hours ago, Whiskymack said:

Great looking truck and a nice project to get into.. These are my favourite Autocars. I have one on my list of to do model projects. I have already 3D printed a hood for it but have got a bit hung up on how the front end goes together. Would you be able to take some pics with the hood up? I'm trying to get a look at the frame horns and Radiator mounting but there are so few of these around now that getting any detai is almost impossible.

I will get some pictures next time I am playing with the truck. The fenders on that truck are bolted to the hood, nice feature to expedite repairs and keep cost down. designed back when turning a profit wasn't the only consideration of manufacturers.

On 9/6/2020 at 8:34 AM, Whiskymack said:

20200907_175550_(1).jpg

20200907_175607 (1).jpg

20200907_175556.jpg

20200907_175613.jpg

20200907_175610.jpg

20200907_175619.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/7/2020 at 2:06 PM, Whiskymack said:

Thanks. That would be great. As well as being practical and designed to last trucks also had character back then. They all look a bit the same now, like big cars!

Looking forward to the pics but no hurry. I've got several Macks on the bench still!

here's a few pics of the frame horn and hinges

14 hours ago, Prowrench said:

here's a few pics of the frame horn and hinges

Thank you very much for the terrific pictures. That's just the kind of detail I wanted to get a look at. If it's not too much trouble would you be able to get two or three  more showing the first couple of feet of the frame from both sides and the radiator? That would give me a clear idea of how it all fits together. Also, Is that an aluminium frame? Many thanks.

• 2 weeks later...