05 Granite CV713 Hard left pull

Deere Mack

Good morning! I hope everyone is safe and well.  Crazy times.  My dump has an hard pull to the left when braking hard, moves steering wheel too.  This started after I installed new king pins but I can not figure out why.  It does have ABS, would a bad wheel sensor cause this?  FYI:  The ABS light is not on but it does cycle at start up.

Edited by Deere Mack

The light cycles on start up to confirm the system is functional. 

Does it have self adjusting slacks? Seen issues with them going out of adjustment on their own.

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

To add to what Has been said here ! I have seen the ABS modulators sticK and  hold just a tad bit of air in the line and not through code! check this is not happening just crack the air line loose on the side its pulling to!

3 hours ago, 41chevy said:

The light cycles on start up to confirm the system is functional. 

Does it have self adjusting slacks? Seen issues with them going out of adjustment on their own.

It does.  I've replaced one that I was suspicious of and manually adjusted both, drove re-checked and they are staying in adjustment.

2 hours ago, fjh said:

To add to what Has been said here ! I have seen the ABS modulators sticK and  hold just a tad bit of air in the line and not through code! check this is not happening just crack the air line loose on the side its pulling to!

So your saying that little bit of extra air could be not allowing it to equalize and brake to hard on the pulling side?

7 hours ago, fjh said:

I could possibly be holding air in the brake  chamber  on the pull side!

I pulled the line, actually both and neither had air in them.  Checked slack adjustment again and it's fine.  Cycled the brakes several times, again everything seems to work as it should.  I checked the ABS valves for leaks and sticky valves and didn't notice anything.  I still have the left pull.  Most of the time it pulls hard and sometimes just slightly.

Slack travel is good on both.  I have not swapped the tires, this could be a problem but you usually have uneven tread wear or a rough ride.  My ride is smooth and tread wear is even.  I'll probably do the swap just to rule it out and go ahead a re-inspect everything while the wheels are off.

• 5 weeks later...

I appreciate everyone chiming in, this one has been a booger to figure out and turns out it might have been a hidden broke leaf spring.  I checked the leafs many time looking for a brake or crack and never seen anything.  Had to get on the brakes the other day and felt some movement so I inspected it when i got back and it was visually noticeable at this point.  I haven't driven it yet to know if it fixed it. While it was at my mechanic shop went to do an oil change and found metal, so here we go again.  I just made a new topic in engine and transmission.  I'll let you know when I drive it.

Edited by Deere Mack