2020 Granite Dump Truck

Forgot I had these from when I went to body builder to pick up my new Star. I really hate those hood mirrors though. And I still prefer the previous dash and interior.

But one nice touch (I thought I took a pic but didn't) that Mack did was put a grease bank right under the driver side door for the front spring pins, and the clutch cross shafts and release bearing.

Is that an option or do all the Granites come with that?

036 (Large).jpg

041 (Large).jpg

img-1717-1572620865 (Large).jpg

img-1718-1572620880 (Large).jpg

img-1725-1572620994 (Large).jpg

img-1720-1572620900 (Large).jpg

• Like 1

I was wondering if they were mandated as of yet. You don't see trucks that only run local with them around here, but many that run out east have them.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

5 minutes ago, 70mackMB said:

School bus mirrors. Had one on the right side of an S model lnternational. You can see across the front and down the side with one glance. Even check if a head or fog/driving light is out.    .....Hippy 

When I did the short "jaunt" of driving for the sod company, the Yellow IH9200 tractor had them and I thought they were great. Lot of close quarter manipulation at country clubs was needed and they played a nice roll to keep blind spots down:

image.jpeg.f46140cbb185429695b7081a931fd097.jpeg

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I have fender mirrors on my new Star because salesman thought it would be a cool idea to have them added at factory. I hate them. I find them distracting, and you can't can't see out them half the time anyway. They freeze and fog in winter, and any time your windshield is wet or dirty, they are right outside the area your wipers cover, so again you can't see them anyway.

I much prefer just using my judgement when I have to get up beside stuff on the construction sites.

50 minutes ago, TS7 said:

When was the last time were you on a 3 lane high speed road in heavy traffic trying to move over a lane?

yesterday.

i had the hood mirrors on the macks for past 40 years, after i moved to the T800 3 years ago it took me about 3 months to get used to not having them. now with the new T880, i really do not miss then because of the way the truck is set up. the only real blind spot is about two foot around the passenger side bumper guide pole. 

my bigger problem is the new 65 mph mandate for large trucks. i limit out at 65 mph, but all the steering wheel holders are still doing 80 +

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

That is my point, higher speeds, you have too watch your blind spots all the time. None of my trucks have hood mirrors, but I can see with higher speeds the need for them coming. Way too many fools driving on the roads today.

1 hour ago, TS7 said:

That is my point, higher speeds, you have too watch your blind spots all the time. None of my trucks have hood mirrors, but I can see with higher speeds the need for them coming. Way too many fools driving on the roads today.

I don't know if I miss them or not. That Silverado truck I drive I really do not like the factory mirrors even though the lower section is a spot mirror on both sides. I cannot get a full view field where I need it seemingly with that combination of both mirrors. To get good vision when rounding a tight right turn to keep eye on the trailer side, I have to raise up quite a bit to see out of the standard mirror as the normal seating position places me square in the spot mirror line of sight which is a distorted view in this scenario. That is a personal issue I know but I'm thinking of placing camper type mirrors up onto the front fenders and doing away with the factory spot mirrors. I don't believe one can have too much vision access. I don't have them, nor have had on any of my trucks but am a big fan of spot mirrors with a wide field of vision if they can be fitted. On my trucks I've always had spot mirrors on the top and bottom braces of the "West Coast" style mirror brackets. One of course to look at the stack smoke when in the throttle which is a thing of beauty to me. 

Don't think it's just me as the prior driver pushed the rub rail in pretty good on an implement when he got the right side of the trailer into it. He also didn't like the field of view but quit shortly afterward.

On 3/13/2020 at 10:50 PM, Rob said:

I was wondering if they were mandated as of yet. You don't see trucks that only run local with them around here, but many that run out east have them.

in new yawk you must have them, plus one to see across the front of the truck.

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

21 hours ago, TS7 said:

When was the last time were you on a 3 lane high speed road in heavy traffic trying to move over a lane?

Well, I ran from Indiana, across the 401 in Ontario though Quebec to Moncton, New Brunswick. Does that count? LOL

I used to pull 4 axle van hauling Coca Cola and beer, and I used to haul RV trailers out of Indiana.

I just recently went back to dump trucking because I'm not living in a truck for what you are making nowadays. And my tractor was paid for and it still sucked, LOL

Edited by Bullheaded

Bullheaded we run dumps pulling pups in heavy SE Michigan urban traffic. At least once a week someone somewhere puts a truck over on its side around here. The reason most of the time is high speed. Everyone is driving faster today. If a extra mirror on the hood helps a driver know what going on around him, I am for it. The best looking truck is the one that comes back too the yard at night in one piece.  

Edited by TS7
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, TS7 said:

By the way when was the last time someone flashed there lights when you passed or merged?

I got the flashing lights a lot last week when overtaking, or merging into slower moving trucks. That said, I don't remember a single, Swift, JB Hunt, Schneider National, or Werner driver extending the courtesy.

• 2 months later...

I agree with the comment about previous interior. I have a 2015 gu713. Cool interior. Now it's all different and bla.. guess I like the old school looks. I also hate the flat steering wheel. Otherwise I like dependable Mack trucks.