ELD in older truck:

I've been looking around the internet without success as of yet. 

If I knew what the needed inputs were I'm pretty certain I could build something to interface the truck to the computer module. Never have been around them, (ELD) myself. 

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I've never been around them myself but a couple folks are wanting to run their older trucks with a company that requires ELD without exception. Installing sensors and interfacing them is really not a big problem, but what they need to output into, is an unknown to me. I've only been told the ELD manufacturer supplies a computer assembly that is cabled into the trucks ECM and that's about it. I would need to generate these inputs to the ELD system via discreet components at the proper levels and timing to make it work as there is no ECM.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Can you run an eld app?

The eld needs to sense

Speed, this is easy to accomplish with a generator on the speedometer cable

Engine power, again easy to simulate using an ignition on circuit

Miles driven, this is usually fed from the computer and may be hard to simulate and this may be the reason for the pre 200 exemption

I can't answer directly but don't think so to an app. The company installs the ELD and retains ownership of the unit. Not too difficult to measure pulse count for distance as that is a relatively fixed value. From what I've read the ELD doesn't sense vehicle movement until 5mph.

Don't know if anything like what I'm looking to do can be incorporated as everything is easily "slewed" from actual readings. If someone marketed a kit there would probably be all kinds of restrictions and rules with resulting penalties for breaking those rules attached.

One guy is currently running a 2001 CX with them and wants to get his 89 RW running to replace the CX. The company he's leased to won't allow the truck to operate with their cargo citing no ELD and inflexible in the rules. He's gone as far as purchased a wrecked RB cab, (which is electronic) and thinking of pulling his E7-427 and install into the RW-713 to run it which is alright to do. The old CX is getting worn from the miles and the RW is really quite nice.

I’ve run peoplenet eld system for about 5 or 6 years now and there is an app that you can use to log on or off duty. Not really sure what the point of that is or if it will do anything else but might be worth looking into. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

Hey Rob we run ELD where I work we use Samsara on a iPad I don’t know much about the sensors and connections and the likes but in my honest opinion the advantage to running the RW would be to avoid all of the new technology. He must be leased to a really good company myself I would check with some different carriers or look into getting my own authority if I had some contacts for loads 

No disagreements from me Brian. I know they keep him busy but he has all sorts of trailers from flat, single drop, double drop, RGN, connestoga, and two sliding axle Landoll units. A lot of money and time has been spent on the RW and it really should be working rather than keeping his barn occupied. The RW needs paint, (which I will do) but it's not a hurry till a place to work it is found. 

I agree with the running of an older truck. However the company is adamant that ELD has to be used from my understanding. The guy has a "gravy train" going and doesn't want to get away from that. He's looking to add another truck to his rapport and hopes to use this one.

And if you have run with a ELD you really would never want to go back to paper, why would any want or need to work more than 70 hours a week, if your business plan is so piss poor that it requires more hours than 70 maybe you should look at a career at Mickey Dee's,  I bet we are lucky if we can get 50 in and some days I think that is to much, my motto " cheap freight moves fastest" gotta move fast to move more, not much profit in that and trucking is a business and profit is what you strive for not lifestyle, buy yo what do I know.  

• Like 1

Up to 02 were still good trucks just makes the market small, we look for trucks every day, 99 to 02 macks are really hard to find, at least in a condition you would want to buy, If some one would come with a ELD for mech. motors I think they would sell great, just because it is a mech. motor does not mean speedo and tack are not elec.  

2000 and up ELD and any older truck with 2000 or newer engine requires and ELD.

Here is the required inputs for the ELD from mainly 4.3 on down. ECM VIN id is one of the requirements. may need to copy and paste link.

https://eld-federal-requirements.readthedocs.io/en/master/4-functional_requirements.html

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Thanks for the research guys. I'm going to follow up on it. it sounds as if a guy running under his own authority could go with alternatives. However if a company mandates the use of ELD as a requirement of pulling their freight, it seems there is only a single option?

I was yakking with him last evening and he tells me his brother has ran across another 01 CX613 that was a "cousin" to his having the same original E7-427 and 10 speed. Both were originally "Ruan" lease trucks I understand. We long ago swapped the 10 speed for an RTLO-16718B along with/when installing the wet kit. If the electronic dash from the RB can be retrofitted into the 89 RW, (I think) dash, this may be a way to get ELD into the truck correctly. The RW currently has an E7-400, (completely manual) and Spicer 5&4 which would probably be replaced with an 18 speed Fuller. The former would be spoken for around here.....