DM wont start

dont know whats wrong with it....the truck has been running since i bought it,25 years ago....shoot starting fluid,,,,fires right up....sometimes it looses prime,,,and i have to blow air into the fuel tank....now nothing is working....burns off the either,,,,then just poofs out:idunno:....bob

• Like 1

thanks larry....i also thought of that........ill take a look at it,,,,in a while,,,ive got couple more days off,,,here,,,i put that air starter system in when i first got the truck.....it (was) electric.....and hadda short i couldnt figure out,,,couldnt get the motor to turn over fast enough to start,,,,so i went to air...bob

How cold was it when you tried to start it?

Diesel fuel forms drops of gel that clog your filters around 17 degrees F and doesn't thaw back out until around 34 degrees.

If you last fueled up in the summer or fall then you don't have the winter additives that prevent gelling. You're going to have to warm the truck up. My brother got fuel for his 7.3 ford last winter at a small station and it gelled up on him going down the road after 30 minutes. He had to tow it into my garage to warm it up so he could get it running. Not all gas stations run winter additives, so be prepared to add your own next time.

Also modern biodiesel forms algae after a year or less of sitting. It will clog all sorts of annoying spots.  They make algicide fuel treatments, but it only kills/prevents algae, it doesn't dissolve existing algae.

Edited by JoeH
  • Like 1

Take a hose and make a line into a jug of fuel, after priming if it runs, it’s a bad supply line from the tank possibly. Loosing its prime, look into replacing the check valve on the return line at the pump. Mine is external on the pump and I was able to buy a new check valve on line and replace it for like 50 bucks