Polishing Aluminum

Bullheaded

So what's everyone's preferred brand/model of low speed grinder/polishers for using with clay bars?

Up until a few years ago I used to just stay on top of it and use Autosol and buff by hand. But now that I am getting older and extremely lazy, think I'll buy a buffer, just not sure which to buy.

Recently I've resorted to using nothing more than SOS pads since the nature of my business is the truck gets dirty every day. But since my new truck doesn't have me hating life yet like the last one, I kinda wanna take care of it, LOL.

This is what the old one looked like with just SOS pads on the wheels and acid on the checker plate under the cab. It's good enough for what I do, but since the new one is still shiny new I don't wanna take SOS pads to it yet, LOL.

001 (2) (Large).JPG

fwiw   I have an old craftsman 1850 rpm i used with a stitch wheel and the brown jewelers rouge.    don`t know if they`re still available or not but the slower turning wheel always worked best for me.     don`t do a lot of that foolishment  anymore   :D

Edited by carlotpilot

Believe it or not, with the chemicals they use along with the salt up here, even Durabrights are no good. They stain and tarnish after one winter.

Alcoa will replace them once (maybe twice if you really fight) under warranty.....then they give you a set of regular polished rims and say have fun with that.

That's why normally once everything get tarnished I just do the SOS pad shine. Stuff just don't last here.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Well, did an internet and you tube search. Seems all the professional detailer's use a specific model of Dewalt. But I couldn't find one cheaper than $285 around here and I'm cheap.

I only have one truck to do the odd time so I don't need anything that fancy.

So I went to Canada's go-to store for cheap junk...Canadian Tire. LOL.

Got this on sale for $71. It is variable speed from 600 to 3800 RPM.

001 (Large).JPG

• Like 2

For DIY use just go to harbor freight they have two models of polishers I bought the $75.00 buck one that has like four speed settings, 1000 to 3500 rpm. And I found 3500 works best.

I bought a 3 pack of one 10" and  two 8" buffer wheels with three two lb bars of polish for $92.00 bucks off ebay. All of it worked real well, as you can see below.

001 (10).JPG

003 (9).JPG

002 (11).JPG

Edited by Truck Shop
  • Like 2

One ping only

Nice Truck Shop! We don't have Harbor Freight's here, but I guess our Canadian Tire and Princess Auto are about the same kind of deal.

Got any tips for me? I guess just keep going steady straight lines back and forth?

Don’t use to high of speed, it can kinda burn the aluminum and give it blueish spots.    My dad has a dewalt buffer he uses.   Bought it prob 15 years ago.  Held up great.   He has a stainless wire brush he uses to clean the wheels.  To much build up in them makes thing not work right.   Don’t use to ruff of wheels or course of ruge either.  

Edited by Hobert62

For quick lesson this video probably is the best, and he runs some speed on the buffer-but he does it for a living too. Notice the direction the buffer is turning and he chases the polish line upward.

The thrown off polish is always moved in the next pass, not below the wheel.

One ping only

Dad keeps all his stuff in a cardboard box on a shelf.  The rouge he keeps kinda wrapped in the plastic it comes in.   It’s in a clean place not under a workbench.     He keeps the brush handy while buffing a periodicly leaves the buffer run and holds the brush against the wheel.  I don’t think he has ever washed a wheel, and they do wear out.  They keep getting smaller if you do diamond plate it’s pretty ruff on the wheels. There are different color wheels and  rouge it determines how course they are.   Idk the difference outher then his red wheel is really course.  

I used this fellow, eh? 

https://dcsupershinestore.com/products/http-dcsupershinestore-com-collections-dc-super-shine-kits-products-copy-of-dc-super-shine-deluxe-kit-with-menzerna-rouge-bars

Watched a few videos and gave  it a try.  I bought a 6hp Dewalt grinder(big ol bastard).  Ya, it bites hard if you don't do it right.  Though now I'd like to get a smaller, slow speed grinder for touch ups.

Did the new tanks for my B.

IMG_20170325_120127_906.jpg

• Like 1
  • Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

• 2 weeks later...