Mack DM frame

fullfuel01

early 80's mack DM single frame. motor and transmission is gone, cab is junk, frame is perfect with a set of 44 on camelback 40's 4.17 ratio. 138'' from the back of the cab to the end of the tandem according to my memory, remeasurment is needed.  It's perfect to reframe an old rusted double frame DM. 1200$ located in Joliette Quebec, we can help with shipping. Make a reasonnable offer, we don't want to scrap it. call/text for pictures and info

• 4 weeks later...

DM frame will not work for a R model reframe, unless you are going to put a R model cab on a Dm frame, I wanted to try this at one time but never got it done. Will take some fabrication but could be done.    terry:MackLogo:

Edited by terry

R-model cab is too different against one off a DM. Offset cab has almost different cowl but it also seats much more to the front of the chassis. So seems like plenty of customizing, no straight way using just factory parts.

Front end of R and DM rails is almost different, as said above. Otherwise I would ask all your questions the same day the listing was posted :):)

Vlad

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

2 hours ago, Prowrench said:

Well that"s why i asked for length of frame from back of cab to rear of frame because that is the straight section of a DM frame rail. Thanks for the input Rich

Thought you  were doing a complete frame replacement.    terry:MackLogo:

On 7/8/2019 at 11:10 AM, Prowrench said:

Well that"s why i asked for length of frame from back of cab to rear of frame because that is the straight section of a DM frame rail. Thanks for the input Rich

Even still, DM frame may be different. My DM (it's a double frame) frame is about 13-15? inches tall for the first couple feet behind the cab, then it tapers to 11 inches for the rest.  If you only need straight rails you could contact PG Adams. They make frame rails. But they unfortunately can't do the R model splay around the engine and trans.

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

You can buy rails from your Mack dealer, so somebody is making them...

But I bet the average guy can't buy from them, have to be got from mack.     terry:MackLogo:

Edited by terry

51 minutes ago, JoeH said:

You can buy rails from your Mack dealer, so somebody is making them...

last set of rails I'd purchased from them, (PG Adams) I was told they were starting to offer the splay. That was back in 2013. They were not offering the "fishbelly" however.

Edited by Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

30 minutes ago, Rob said:

last set of rails I'd purchased from them, (PG Adams) I was told they were starting to offer the splay. That was back in 2013. They were not offering the "fishbelly" however.

I was told no splay about a year ago .by them.

7 minutes ago, 6368 said:

I was told no splay about a year ago .by them.

They must not have been able to control the "springback" acceptably well enough to offer for production then. This was explained when I asked.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

1 hour ago, Rob said:

As of last December they couldn't do the splay. We were pricing out reframing our DM686SX.  Belly they could do, but not the splay.

37 minutes ago, JoeH said:

As of last December they couldn't do the splay. We were pricing out reframing our DM686SX.  Belly they could do, but not the splay.

Yup, backwards from what I was told but that is a while back. I also asked about the fishbelly as I was looking at a B-53 at the time and didn't acquire the truck as was told they could not do them.

11 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Mack dealers in the US are very different than Australia by the sounds of it as dealers out here are only to happy to help no matter how old or difficult it may seam or at least that is my experience 

I reckon I could walk into any dealer and order R model rails if I had the chassis number 

Yes they would cost a few bob, but if we want Mack Australia to support our old junk we have gotta pay for limited stock items to be made and held

Paul 

You can get frame rails from the US dealer as well somewhere around $ 20k  for a full double set.  I have no problem with them making a profit..but it seams to me that pricing is designed to discourage the repair of older trucks.  Bring on the PAI frame rails.

3 minutes ago, Prowrench said:

Thanks I checked them out it seems to be the place to get them from, even if they can't spread them in the front i would have them make the straight sections and splice them in

Be very accurate in the dimensions you supply them as their tolerances are very tight. You specify a 3.25" top flange and that is what you will get as near exact as can be manufactured.

Talk to Taja, whom knows the business well. She will send you a diagram you place your measurements upon and send it back. They will confirm and your rails will be produced on short order.

Of what I met as an issue with PG Adams rails is the bend radius at the corners was larger than I have on my R600 single frame rails. Taja was very friendly indeed about communication and help but said they could't make those corners any sharper. So I'm in search for solution so far. Didn't like the idea of welding straight sections at all. It's a single frame and i hate any inserts to be installed or fit double rails since I want to keep all original. Started looking for ordering straight sections but that soft band would't fit perfect with my front showing the seam. And additionally to cut in the frame itself my country's regulations don't allow frame modifications. So I would loose the truck's registration if someone make a frame check.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012