Ford F-600 News

kscarbel2

Ford expands F-series lineup with first new nameplate in more than 20 years

Michael Martinez, Automotive News  /  March 5, 2019

The F-series line of pickups is Ford Motor Co.'s undisputed golden goose. And the nest is about to get bigger.

For the first time since it created the Super Duty brand of heavy-duty pickups for the 1999 model year, Ford next year is adding a nameplate to the venerable line: the F-600.

The 2020 F-600 Super Duty, available in the middle of next year, will slot between the F-550 Super Duty and the F-650 medium truck. It's meant to offer commercial businesses more power in roughly the same package as the F-550.

Mike Pruitt, Ford's Super Duty chief engineer, said the F-600 "hits a sweet spot" in the commercial pickup business.

"It's the right size to deliver the capabilities of a Class 6 truck ... in that familiar Class 5 Super Duty package," he said. "Customers no longer have to choose between a truck that doesn't have enough payload or a truck that's too big."

The F-600 will have a gross vehicle weight rating of 22,000 pounds, which is roughly equal to the F-650. Ford did not release any power or capability figures.

The chassis-cab configuration will come with three engine options: a new 7.3-liter V-8 gasoline engine, the third-generation 6.7-liter Power Stroke V-8 diesel or a 6.2-liter V-8 gasoline engine. All come with a 10-speed automatic transmission.

The 7.3-liter engine is expected to be the most powerful gasoline V-8 in its class, Ford says.

The F-600 arrives as Ford freshens the rest of its Super Duty lineup for the 2020 model year. On a larger scale, the automaker is shifting 90 percent of its capital allocation to producing pickups, vans and utilities. By 2020, roughly 75 percent of its lineup will be updated or new.

Other commercial updates

Ford also said Tuesday that it's updating its F-650 and F-750 medium trucks for the 2021 model year.

The vehicles, on sale in January 2020, will feature an updated instrument panel, a new steering column, Bluetooth functionality and multiple USB ports.

Customers can pick between the new 7.3-liter gasoline engine and 6.7-liter Power Stroke V-8 diesel. Ford says it is the only automaker to offer a gas or diesel option on its Class 6 and 7 trucks.

Ford also is freshening its E-series vans. Even after it replaced the nameplate with the Transit, Ford continued to produce cutaway and stripped-chassis E-series variants for uses such as shuttle buses, ambulances and small recreational vehicles.

The E series will get a similar interior freshening as the F-650 and F-750. It will have an updated upfitter interface module for easier installation of custom equipment.

Ford also will update its F-53 and F-59 stripped-chassis vehicles.

Ford Press Release - https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2019/03/05/updated-ford-commercial-vehicle-lineup.html

Photo 3.jpg

Photo 4.jpg

In a way, the Chevrolet 6500HD and Navistar CV now have a competitor in the all-new baby Class 6 segment they started. However, Ford's F-600 is a rehashed F-550.....meaning the hood still doesn't tilt.

FCA really has to launch a Class 6 now (or two, 6000 and/or 6500).

It sounds like they put bigger tires on the F-550 and called it a day.  GVW is about 2K#'s under the GM/NAV.  But, that's the move I would have made.  I have a feeling the F-600 will be a hit, and will eat F-650 sales.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RoadwayR said:

It sounds like they put bigger tires on the F-550 and called it a day.  GVW is about 2K#'s under the GM/NAV.  But, that's the move I would have made.  I have a feeling the F-600 will be a hit, and will eat F-650 sales.

F 600 is 22,000 lb GVW, the GM/NAV 6500 is 22,000 GVW -correct?  650 is up to 26,000.  I'm sure you are correct-it will rob  some 650 sales.  However, I'm sure Ford will gladly take those F-600 sales vs. losing out to GM/Nav sales at 22,000.  Then again you can get a 650 I think with a rating somewhere between 19,500 and 26,000.

F-600 I'm sure will be the least costly 22,000 lb GVW out there.

I have to say though, I thought for sure either they would have a new purpose built cab to be used for 450-750 as well as E series (with a lot of mods) thereby eliminating 3 cabs at OAP but I guess they just did not have the funds- might have had to cut some costs on wall hangings or some other trappings at the Train Station.😠

• Like 1

The F-600 is in a good size range. A F-600 Super cab or crew cab with a 7.3 gas is what most landscapers who pull a 5 ton trailer need. The E series may be old but it is a good truck. Ford may never build a cabover here but a E-600 or T-600 (Transit cab) with a 7.3 gas would sell. I wonder if Ford is looking at a T-450-550 or even T-600 to replace the E series. Larger Transit models will show up someday here, just because they do not build it in Europe does not mean it would not work here. Trucks in the "baby 6" range will sell in the coming years I think.

1 hour ago, TS7 said:

The F-600 is in a good size range. A F-600 Super cab or crew cab with a 7.3 gas is what most landscapers who pull a 5 ton trailer need. The E series may be old but it is a good truck. Ford may never build a cabover here but a E-600 or T-600 (Transit cab) with a 7.3 gas would sell. I wonder if Ford is looking at a T-450-550 or even T-600 to replace the E series. Larger Transit models will show up someday here, just because they do not build it in Europe does not mean it would not work here. Trucks in the "baby 6" range will sell in the coming years I think.

Agree, it is a good wt rating to be in-in particular when GM/International are there.  Key question I have is just what components did they tweak to meet the 22,000 lb rating.  Also the GM/Int JV marketing pitch is their chassis is much more capable than the 450/550 chassis which is not a continual rail.  So now Ford is jumping into the 22,000 lb class 6 range with that same two piece rail design??

I think the biggest selling point Ford will have is the 7.3 gas.  To your point on landscapers- they don't run the mileage to pay out the MPG savings-diesel over gas.  But they need the power. some of these guys around here have high cube dump bodies (for mulch) and they are towing 18, 20 ft trailers-both open and boxes that are jammed with all kind of equipment.  these guys need power-7 months a year!

By the way, I was hoping they were going to in essence hang the 650 hood on an existing 550, and call it a 600-guessed wrong on that.

Red Horse I agree with you on the on the F-650 hood idea. But with the F-600 Ford, has two models now and has this segment covered well. I think that the Lo-pro F-650 was a better choice for towing trailers for small contractors and landscapers, but I see very few. I do see a lot of what I think are overloaded F-450-550 trucks of all types. Small class 4-5 cabovers are no better. Have never seen any F-350-550 trucks with frame issues because of two piece, has anyone? As for tilt hood, the only time we open the hood on our F-550 is to change oil and give GM trucks a jump.

• Haha 1

Bob, there is one aspect that nobody here or on the BON (Blue Oval News) site has brought up. Ford is promising 16 new electric vehicles within three years, and they surely will be cars, pickups and SUVs.

Meanwhile, almost all the light, medium and heavy truckmakers around the world are planning electric versions of their trucks.

However does anyone honestly believe that Ford is planning (investing in) an electric F-650/F-750? The current diesel trucks are the last generation. The next generation will by electric, plug-in, micro-turbine or fuel cell powered.

For the low mileage customer who chooses the 7.3L gasoline option, an electric F-650/F-750 with acceptable range would be even better in that operating situation.

The 2021 Ford mediums are only faintly rehashed versions of the same old truck. Minimal investment. And the 2021 design is supposed to soldier on for how many more years after that?  By 2021, the Ford mediums will be beginning to look like dinosaurs, versus the other latest product on the market.

The 2021 Ford mediums might prove to be the last.

7 minutes ago, kscarbel2 said:

Bob, there is one aspect that nobody here or on the BON (Blue Oval News) site has brought up. Ford is promising 16 new electric vehicles within three years, and they surely will be cars, pickups and SUVs.

Meanwhile, almost all the light, medium and heavy truckmakers around the world are planning electric versions of their trucks.

However does anyone honestly believe that Ford is planning (investing in) an electric F-650/F-750? The current diesel trucks are the last generation. The next generation will by electric, plug-in, micro-turbine or fuel cell powered.

For the low mileage customer who chooses the 7.3L gasoline option, an electric F-650/F-750 with acceptable range would be even better in that operating situation.

The 2021 Ford mediums are only faintly rehashed versions of the same old truck. Minimal investment. And the 2021 design is supposed to soldier on for how many more years after that?  By 2021, the Ford mediums will be beginning to look like dinosaurs, versus the other latest product on the market.

The 2021 Ford mediums might prove to be the last.

Kevin,

Hope you are wrong about them being the last, but when I see how little attention they give class 6 and 7, you might be right.  Then again, Hackett makes all kinds of speeches about .."trucks and commercial vehicles" as Ford's strong suit.  Then again to him, a Transit Connect is probably his definition of "commercial vehicle".  

I myself see a big future for class 6 and 7-in particular class 6 given driver shortage as well as continued expansion of e commerce where even groceries get "boxed" and delivered.

And look at Volvo- they spend money on a plant to build Mack mediums??? Guess they think medium duty as crowded as it is, is the place to be for the future.

15 minutes ago, Red Horse said:

Kevin,

Hope you are wrong about them being the last, but when I see how little attention they give class 6 and 7, you might be right.  Then again, Hackett makes all kinds of speeches about .."trucks and commercial vehicles" as Ford's strong suit.  Then again to him, a Transit Connect is probably his definition of "commercial vehicle".  

I myself see a big future for class 6 and 7-in particular class 6 given driver shortage as well as continued expansion of e commerce where even groceries get "boxed" and delivered.

And look at Volvo- they spend money on a plant to build Mack mediums??? Guess they think medium duty as crowded as it is, is the place to be for the future.

As has been said, the new truck might in fact be a Class 7/baby 8 replacement for the sale failure Granite MHD, and not a mainstream Class 6 medium at all.

Kscarbel you make a very good point about what is Ford going to do with the F-650-750. I agree with Red Horse that may be a new cab that can be used as a conventional and cut-away might be coming. I wonder if some type of short hood COE cut-away cab might be in the future, class 4-baby 6 van trucks?  Small gas engine electric power? Wonder if this is where last mile is going on the short haul end. A short tilt hood COE electric for box vans and a conventional cab gas and diesel for dump, flatbeds. I do not think Ford will leave class 6-7, just new ideas are needed. Hackett will not be around when it happens, I think (hope so). As for Mack, I sure hope that a real baby 8 is coming, they need to be in this market more than they need sleeper cabs or a 15L engines. I think Mack could sell 1,000+ baby 8 trucks a year without cutting into any Granite sales if done right.           

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kevin,

The Mack Granite with Cummins power is showing up in a lot of the towns around me as a good front line single axle dump.  For sure F'liner and International predominate but the Granites are getting good press.  The other trend that continues is a lot of towns continue to buy class 5 dumps.  Ford owns that market now but Im sure the GM/International class 5's will show up assuming they do something about tilting hoods and plow head gear!

No doubt the Granite cab is overkill for class 6 but again, can't believe they want to jump into that market as crowded as it is.

Here in Minnesota the Granite MHD hasn't sold well, probably due to Daimler's willingness to downspec to a B series Cummins in a tandem even and undercut everyone on price. Our DOT's bids are public and Mack seems to be pricing their own components competitively, but when the bid simply calls for say a 300 HP diesel engine a 10+ liter premium engine can't compete. As for the Class 5 4x4s, this winter even the tandem dumps are needing help from the loaders and snowblowers in spots, so even that new F600 is gonna be too little truck for plowing.

What I am thinking is the single axle tractor, the tandem fuel tanker and utility truck. The market that the Ford LN-8000 and LNT-8000 had, baby 8, Mack should be there. Granite cab is just right for this, just need a truck sized to do these lighter jobs. Daimler's SD seems to have taken this market now. I hope Mack is working on that. Henry Ford rolled over in his grave when they sold Ford Tractor years ago, he will come out of his grave if Hackett or anyone else screws with Ford Truck here in the US. I heard they had to do a lot landscape work in Dearborn after those fools sold the L-series to Daimler.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TS7 said:

What I am thinking is the single axle tractor, the tandem fuel tanker and utility truck. The market that the Ford LN-8000 and LNT-8000 had, baby 8, Mack should be there. Granite cab is just right for this, just need a truck sized to do these lighter jobs. Daimler's SD seems to have taken this market now. I hope Mack is working on that. Henry Ford rolled over in his grave when they sold Ford Tractor years ago, he will come out of his grave if Hackett or anyone else screws with Ford Truck here in the US. I heard they had to do a lot landscape work in Dearborn after those fools sold the L-series to Daimler.  

Go to Yu Tube and search New Holland Basildon.  This was the big Ford plant..pretty impressive.

Geez I should not say that but I can't figure which is worse a company that takes Government bailout then goes bankrupt and tells the public they paid the money back or the dumb ass that would vote someone that would let it happen,  MAPA. make America poor again, vote Democrat !  Think I'll run for congress , district 3 GA. bet i'd be in the news every week as I call out the  real crooks, Democrats.

I'll have MAPA shirts on sale soon $8.00 still working on shipping, trying to get a  amazon like deal from posatal service. just need to find the right crook to payoff.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, david wild said:

I can't figure which is worse a company that takes Government bailout then goes bankrupt and tells the public they paid the money back

not true. they did pay the money back....

they took the money from the second bail out, paid off the first bail out, then claimed bankruptcy. 

so in effect they DID pay pay the bail out back...................they just did not say which one. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..