International HX Test Drive

Bullheaded

Call it a weakness, I always zoom in on how the wiring, air hoses, AC hoses and coolant hoses are all plumbed, kind of a lead in to the truck's overall assembly quality, and this truck looks quite good.

The Navistar team has been hard at work, and this is evidence.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bullheaded said:

Sad part is many people will overlook their new products because of the Maxxforce debacle. 

Good point.  Once a guy gets burned the memory lingers on.  The 6.7 Power Stroke is another example.  The fact that it has nothing in common with the 6.0/6.4 is not considered. All the good memories of the 7.3 Power Stroke are forgotten.

I also think the fact that they were even INVOLVED with the Cat truck fiasco is not a plus for them.  In any case as one of the last "American" class 8 builders, I hope they make it - and VW remains a minority investor.

10 hours ago, Hobert62 said:

Looks long with the lift axle right behind the cab.   Not what I'm used to seeing around here.

l'm thinking they put the lift axle in the wrong spot! ha  lf the lift axle is that far forward is it steerable?   

The company l'm with is adding another 3 axle tractor to the fleet soon. l've suggested it should have a pusher axle where we are empty half the time.   .....Hippy

The lift axle on my long wheel base tractor is almost exactly half way between the drivers and the steer axle. Steers fine on dry pavement but have to lift it in any other conditions when making 90 degree turns and go SLOW. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

It's a 21 foot dump box. My Star 4900 is 266 inch wheelbase. The lift has to be 100 inch ahead of the drives here. And now we have a regulation called SPIF...so they all have to be steering lift axles that self equalize and no driver control. They automatically go down with around 4500 KG of load.

I install illegal lift switches because despite what the government says, they do not steer on slippery roads or off road. Just another stupid law that doesn't work, made by people that don't drive.

As delivered from factory you can raise them by turning the 4-way flashers on for a 3 seconds, then off for three seconds, then back on. Try that when you are sliding out of control towards a car full of someones family.

• Like 2

9000 KG per axle.  If I had 72 inch rear inter-axle spread it would be a bit more. I don't run 72 inch spreads because they are hard on tires and I don't work ton/mile. I am usually always hourly.

So this truck as with mine has an allowable gross of 36,000 KG. So that is 79366.414 pounds. And I gross 140,000 with the three axle pony.

• Like 1