Highway Projects

B MACK

barrier wall is a target to those idiots, not a deterrent. 

the latest game is to see if you can hit the barrier just rite to flip the suv on it's roof, or if you can drive up the interchange ramp and perfectly balance whatever you are driving on top of the wall. 

Edited by tjc transport

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

barrier wall is a target to those idiots, not a deterrent. 
the latest game is to see if you can hit the barrier just rite to flip the suv on it's roof, or if you can drive up the interchange ramp and perfectly balance whatever you are driving on top of the wall. 

It sounds like there driving has actually improved since I left there.

Back in the day they would just drive down the shoulder and plow into the JCPL truck parked there, cones were only used for show the old junk truck with the chained down boom was the deterrent.

The best were the senior citizens, who moved from the city to a retirement community and realized they needed to learn to drive now that they were retired. They got there first drivers license when they retired. We had one who could not understand the new construction traffic pattern and was honking at the bucket of a very large excavator. The bucket was preventing the driver from driving into a trench in the old jug handle.

The summer mail drivers did try to make a little bit of a sport out of it with the cartwheeling mail keeps, they actually have a strong roof.

I wish I had pictures of some of this stuff to show my wife
  • Like 1

the drunks that pull on the fresh mat and start blowing the horn at the paver are betterer. 

That would be funny if it wasn't for a friend of mine getting killed by some idiot while he was on a highway paving job.

One state highway department was testing different cone and light patterns at night until the governor made them stop because of the number of accidents caused by drunks running into the equipment. The state police and highway department did not mind the drunk trap.

a friend of mine was almost killed in Maryland about 8 years ago on a night paving job when a drunk clipped him as he was stepping out of his truck to clean the spreader plate after dumping. he ended up loosing his business and spent 7 years learning to walk again after the 11 re-constructive surgeries.10 years ago we had a drunk drive into the back of a dump truck on one of the night jobs while the driver was between the tailgate and body cleaning the gate chutes killing the driver..

12 years ago we had an inspector that constantly knelt down to do whatever it was he did. he was warned many many times not to. well, the last time he did it was rite behind a 28,000 lb Cat 564 roller. the operator did not see him and flattened him into the roadway killing him instantly. 

the worst part is the operator was weeks away from retiring, and that accident landed him in a mental ward. he could not handle the fact he killed someone after having a 45 year  accident free record. 

i also was in 5 attenuator trucks that got totaled after drunks or idiots ran into them because the "did not see it"

i stopped working nights after the last attenuator truck wreck 11 years ago

Edited by tjc transport
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, tjc transport said:

a friend of mine was almost killed in Maryland about 8 years ago on a night paving job when a drunk clipped him as he was stepping out of his truck to clean the spreader plate after dumping. he ended up loosing his business and spent 7 years learning to walk again after the 11 re-constructive surgeries.10 years ago we had a drunk drive into the back of a dump truck on one of the night jobs while the driver was between the tailgate and body cleaning the gate chutes killing the driver..

12 years ago we had an inspector that constantly knelt down to do whatever it was he did. he was warned many many times not to. well, the last time he did it was rite behind a 28,000 lb Cat 564 roller. the operator did not see him and flattened him into the roadway killing him instantly. 

the worst part is the operator was weeks away from retiring, and that accident landed him in a mental ward. he could not handle the fact he killed someone after having a 45 year  accident free record. 

i also was in 5 attenuator trucks that got totaled after drunks or idiots ran into them because the "did not see it"

i stopped working nights after the last attenuator truck wreck 11 years ago

That's really sad about those guys getting killed. What's an attenuator truck?

OH NO ..   We had traffic control with stop signs and pilot cars on both jobs.    And there were times when they said screw it and would run the red lights..    We have those drivers here in Montana that do not know how to drive also.     Don't think it possible to get away from those brainless drivers.

10 hours ago, h67st said:

That's really sad about those guys getting killed. What's an attenuator truck?

also called a crash truck. the ones we built had arrow boards on the back frame under a 10 ton block of concrete or steel plate to bring total weight up to 25,000 lbs, and a Big folding crash attenuator mounted on the back.

Related image

• Like 1