Autocar U series and Mack U/DM models

Jamaican Bulldog

On 1/23/2019 at 11:30 PM, 41chevy said:

Autocar introduced their first U series in 1935, so I guess A Car should have been upset with Mack.  ;)

Yep true, but considering that the  Macks U/DM and Autocar U series in the 70s and 80s had similar styles, I  wondered if that name similarity caused any troubles. 

13 hours ago, Jamaican Bulldog said:

Yep true, but considering that the  Macks U/DM and Autocar U series in the 70s and 80s had similar styles, I  wondered if that name similarity caused any troubles. 

Not really, both are vocational units but for different purposes. Also like Mack , Autocar had it's brand followers. Lizza and Zara in N.Y.S. were Mack users, Prefered Sand and Gravel were AutoCar and Diamond Reo users, Roanoake Concrete were Mack and International users. Times were also different there was no legal battles in the truck building industry over things that were considered petty than.

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 6 months later...

Only the glass nose version.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

That is a DC 94 Series conventional  "driver cab"

• Like 2

P.T.CHESHIRE

23 hours ago, Red Horse said:

JB- to me that does not look like an offset cab-look at air cleaner.  Good looking regardless-lot of engine inside that cab!

Ohhh ok, I had thought it was the short nose that made it a U model. You are right that does not seem off set. This actual truck is local. I am going to try to take a closer look.

20 hours ago, 41chevy said:

That is a DC 94 Series conventional  "driver cab"

Another bit of knowledge I didn't know. This type seems to be rare,  I have only seen one like this. If I meet the owner I will encourage to take to a show. It is still a working truck.

5 minutes ago, Jamaican Bulldog said:

Ohhh ok, I had thought it was the short nose that made it a U model. You are right that does not seem off set. This actual truck is local. I am going to try to take a closer look.

Another bit of knowledge I didn't know. This type seems to be rare,  I have only seen one like this. If I meet the owner I will encourage to take to a show. It is still a working truck.

The LIRR had 2 or 3 with big Cat powered generators at their repair yard in Jamaica for years. I believe one is at the LIRR Museum in Riverhead near the Riverhead Station. Also Jamaica Ash had a bunch for city b dumpster work. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

This pic was taken from Autocar Trucks 1950-1987 Photo Archive.  Note that the picture was printed in REVERSE.  

u model1.jpg

Edited by Chuck P
  • Like 1

"If it's all the sime to you... I'll droyve that tankah"   Max Rockatansky (The Road Warrior)

• 10 months later...