Identify this Mack

I'm more intrigued by that Folding front wall in the Top deck of the Front Crate..!! 

Can't for the life of Me See the reasoning for It... one thing though. that French poodle would be huffing & puffing up a Sweat when It's got 2 Decks of Cattle in It..

• Haha 1

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

I used to pick up new straight trucks from the body manufacturers for Ryder Truck Rental in Pittsburgh, and deliver them to the terminal.As most of us know the Midliner was the product of an incestuous relationship between Mack and Renault,LOL! So I picked up a mid liner and it had a 5 speed tranny with a pattern I've never seen, what an abortion!

Drove a CS conventional tractor with that overdrive transmission with top gear in the forward left position, plus it had a 2 speed splitter that worked like the old "short 4th" 5 speed and 2 speed axles where you split gears 1, 2, and 3 and then shifted 4 and 5 like a range box... I didn't complain when I didn't get it back again. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BillyT said:

I used to pick up new straight trucks from the body manufacturers for Ryder Truck Rental in Pittsburgh, and deliver them to the terminal.As most of us know the Midliner was the product of an incestuous relationship between Mack and Renault,LOL! So I picked up a mid liner and it had a 5 speed tranny with a pattern I've never seen, what an abortion!

Incestuous......abortion........I myself don't care for that language here.

The Mid-Liner was an absolutely superb product that served Mack very well. I'm sorry your Mid-Liner experience did not allow you to realize that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maxidyne said:

Drove a CS conventional tractor with that overdrive transmission with top gear in the forward left position, plus it had a 2 speed splitter that worked like the old "short 4th" 5 speed and 2 speed axles where you split gears 1, 2, and 3 and then shifted 4 and 5 like a range box... I didn't complain when I didn't get it back again. 

I have no idea what you're talking about and I know my Mid-Liner transmissions.

The Renault 10-Speed BDSL2052R splitter type transmission, fully synchronized and paired with an air-assisted clutch, was an absolute pleasure to operate, alike the pedigreed splitter type TRDL1070 10-speed.

Most Euro trucks of that era had that weird Double H gear pattern.

Never had anything to do with a Midliner, So NFI if they also had It..

1-ed22a39780.png

Edited by Hayseed

don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

10 hours ago, Hayseed said:

I'm more intrigued by that Folding front wall in the Top deck of the Front Crate..!! 

Can't for the life of Me See the reasoning for It... one thing though. that French poodle would be huffing & puffing up a Sweat when It's got 2 Decks of Cattle in It..

Hayseed, the only thing I can think of is it’s maybe to reduce wind drag when emtee?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

Incestuous......abortion........I myself don't care for that language here.

The Mid-Liner was an absolutely superb product that served Mack very well. I'm sorry your Mid-Liner experience did not allow you to realize that.

Yep I believed they sold a lot which helped to keep Mack afloat. Makes me wonder what would have happened if Mack still kept in the medium duty line. I believe ( read on this site) there was clause when Volvo bought GMC heavy trucks that Volvo couldn't offer medium and light trucks that would compete with the light and medium trucks that GM still made. That clause prevented Mack from being in that market when Volvo bought them. I am sure others here can clarify or have more on that.

59 minutes ago, Timmyb said:

Hayseed, the only thing I can think of is it’s maybe to reduce wind drag when emtee?

Yeah, Timmy. That thought had occurred to Me As well..!

don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

52 minutes ago, Jamaican Bulldog said:

Yep I believed they sold a lot which helped to keep Mack afloat. Makes me wonder what would have happened if Mack still kept in the medium duty line. I believe ( read on this site) there was clause when Volvo bought GMC heavy trucks that Volvo couldn't offer medium and light trucks that would compete with the light and medium trucks that GM still made. That clause prevented Mack from being in that market when Volvo bought them. I am sure others here can clarify or have more on that.

Penske, Ryder and numerous other fleets loved them, and local customers waited in line for Penske and Ryder trade-ins.

Back in the 1980s, several air freight companies around here used a lot of "MS" model Macks. BSP Airfreight out of Londonderry, NH had an entire fleet of "MS" straight trucks and "MS" tractors. Big T & D Airfreight from Boston also used "MS" straight trucks. The company that I worked for part time had one "MS-200" straight truck. It was a basic 5 speed that I was used to in the Mack fire trucks that I drove. Not being a professional truck driver I probably didn't know better but it seemed like a good truck to me (I just didn't care for the exhaust pipe under the drivers door). BSP, a lot smaller now,  and Big T& D are still in business but no longer use Macks.

bulldogboy

21 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

I have no idea what you're talking about and I know my Mid-Liner transmissions.

The Renault 10-Speed BDSL2052R splitter type transmission, fully synchronized and paired with an air-assisted clutch, was an absolute pleasure to operate, alike the pedigreed splitter type TRDL1070 10-speed.

Other than the transmission, a decent truck- The engine had great torque and it rode pretty decent for steel spring rear suspension . But the transmission was for real and it turned off a lot of drivers with the weird pattern though as you said, it shifted easily.

1 hour ago, Maxidyne said:

Other than the transmission, a decent truck- The engine had great torque and it rode pretty decent for steel spring rear suspension . But the transmission was for real and it turned off a lot of drivers with the weird pattern though as you said, it shifted easily.

None of the Mid-Liner transmissions had an odd shift pattern.

European Spicer 5052A (5-speed - MS200/250)

BDSL5552A (5-speed - CS200/250)

BDSL2142 (5-speed - MS/CS300)

BDSL2152 (5-speed paired with 2-speed rears)

Eaton 4106B (6-speed - MS/CS-200/250)

BDSL181 (6-speed - MS/CS-300)

BDSL2052R (splitter type 10-speed)

We had Howard Sober (our forwarder) set up a facility at the Port of Wilmington (Delaware) where the Mid-Liners came in. Sober would deck them as 3-ways (2 trucks piggybacking a third truck on the ground). Back at the beginning, most were MS200Ps. I ran many 3-ways up the extension to Allentown and was very impressed with the engine's willingness to pull and the top end, and this all with the Spicer 5-speed.

6 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

None of the Mid-Liner transmissions had an odd shift pattern.

European Spicer 5052A (5-speed - MS200/250)

BDSL5552A (5-speed - CS200/250)

BDSL2142 (5-speed - MS/CS300)

BDSL2152 (5-speed paired with 2-speed rears)

Eaton 4106B (6-speed - MS/CS-200/250)

BDSL181 (6-speed - MS/CS-300)

BDSL2052R (splitter type 10-speed)

This truck had a pattern like the old overdrive transmissions where the overdrive top gear was to the right and forward. Sounds like it may have been the BDSL 2152 which  I believe was an overdrive coupled to a 2 speed axle?