L Fire Engine Restoration

Well as it turns out the truck needs a tune up so it runs nice but it needs to get to the shop for such a tune up, but it needs the tune up to get to the shop. So I’m sure that paradox has baffled many as to how we’re gonna fix it, we’re hoping the local mechanic is willing to either come down and get it or we’re gonna try to call some friends with a flat bed and see if they’ll help get it there. Another reason why we want to get an old semi and a flatbed of our own one day, we just certainly don’t have the funds now... in the mean time thanks to Loadstar I found some old pictures of the truck. This also gives us a good view of the original fleur de le on the fenders.

B2279CD6-E553-49E9-9E14-4A0B52F7B00A.jpeg

C9A75AD2-6F31-47FB-BD7F-78A8220C7545.jpeg

• Like 2

Who needs a back yard when you could have a :mack1: Yard?!

• 1 month later...

We’re trying to keep it as original as possible, only doing mods in cases like we couldn’t find the right fuel filters so now we have mustang filters which are much easier to get... in fact the company modded the hose bed to accommodate a bigger water tank and we plan on putting it back to the factory look, which luckily Mack took pictures of it before delivery, so we have references to go back to! That’ll be the next big thing but before that we have to get everything mechanically sound and working... the shop gets to work on it tomorrow so pray that it’s nothing major this time!

• 3 weeks later...

Well the shop discovered the valves were out of tune again but the main problem was the electric fuel pump in the back of the truck quit. Still looking for a replacement but for now we’re trying to bypass it. Next order of business is our main coolant leak is coming from the air compressor where the cab of it leaks, so we’ve got a new one coming in but it’ll take a while, in the mean time we’re getting a replacement just to make it easier to move around... hoping to get her back after that and it’s replacing some pieces of the water pump and some body work, then the cherry on top, a fresh coat of paint to match the original! All of it will happen in due time but we’re excited.

Have a picture of it next to it’s new shop buddy! Not sure who’s it is but they look nice sitting next to eachother...

11F68884-1D32-41EB-8A44-FA96EF7BBFC1.jpeg

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Well bringing it to the firehall for the funeral made us realize she needs to be tuned again, we were going up South Mountain at 15 MPH back firing like crazy the whole way, so on the way back home we dropped her back off at the shop she's been spending a whole lot of time at lately, and then the day of the funeral the CF, which has never had any problems starting, refused to fire up after an hour and a half of trying. She tuned over just fine but it seemed like she wasn't getting fuel... If anyone has any clues on what that could be let me know. It's a shame that right after my grandpa passed both his dogs are now sick...

One last thing I just remembered, the carb on the L needs to be rebuilt, so if anyone knows of a good place we can send that out to let me know! It’s an old 707 and after inspection and some research we realized that if we rebuild that carb we’re gonna be in good shape. I’ll also be in Strasburg, PA for the show over the weekend but evidence by the back firing and the need to rebuild the carb, unfortunate my truck won’t be there... I’ll be sure to take plenty of pictures to share though!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Took her stranding us on the side of the road to realize who we needed to call so she’ll run right... after a carb rebuild and just about everything we can think of she’s going to place we know specializes in old Macks and will put her back on the road... it’s just a shame it took us so long to figure that out...

905BEF84-1303-48FD-B134-B71B942FFFE2.jpeg

F219E088-E7D3-43B0-AD60-A5476E383629.jpeg

You have to look at the three basics.  Fuel, air and spark.  Tracking down which one is failing can be tricky and time consuming if you don't have the background. 

I hope you get it fixed up.  Nothing worse(and more costly) then a undependable large truck.

Not everyone is as lucky as Rob as everytime he breaks down(aka runs out of fuel), it's in his driveway.  Lol.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

It’s a fuel issue, it’s getting more than enough air, and spark is perfect... and we took the fuel filter out to find it orange from all the rust, so we’re starting with cleaning out the tank again and then lining it, and going from there...

Edited by CaptainCrutch
  • Like 1

My one '64 galaxie had a rusty tank from years of sitting empty.  I was able to run double plastic throw away filters on it for years til i was able to get it cleaned up.  The first filter would get clogged up quickly and i would just replace it regularly.  The second filter was a "just in case" filter.   After about 5 years it was good to go.  I figured it was a easy fix before I would have to pull it and go the full monty on it(which I never had to do).

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

missed the part about grandpa......so sorry my friend ,,,,hard to let go,,,especially if your close.....good luck with that beautiful ride.....maybe you should start keeping in touch with some of the fellas with hemmings motor news,,,can probably turn you on to all kinds of suppliers....bob