Cure for Cancer

Mack Technician

I have a neighbor who used Gibbs oil to stop any rusting on his vintage truck. I’ve used Stop Rust on stuff. Seems to work. Supposedly stops the rust and turns into a hard epoxy shell. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

1 hour ago, davehummell said:

If you ever spent any time around a working dragline you would soon learn all about open gear lube ten times worse than any chassis grease to get off.

In your hair, cut it off.

On your clothes, throw'em out.

In your eyes...…..

Image result for stevie wonder

Kidding aside, 3M Brake Cleaner liquefies it.

Edited by Mack Technician
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, MACKS said:

How would this hold up in a marine environment say to coat a below deck aluminum fuel tank,any idea,I've heard of some people using coal tar with good success but this sounds better.

Don't know? You have a Lawson Dealer near you? I put in my order, Lance (salesman) submits it to be delivered to my house, arrives in 2 days (from Chicago) and I get a bill at end of the month.

https://www.lawsonproducts.com/Drummond/Duty-Master-Open-Gear-Lubricant/DA6250.lp?_requestid=408398

There are multiple kinds and they are completely different. I tried three different brands. Lawson sells 2 dissimilar types, one thin and then the stuff pictured. Some like CRC Extreme Duty Open Gear and Chain Lube have the consistency of smooth butter with no real tack. Wasted a bill on it, not very good, rubs and washes off.  

81v-J8cuajL._SL1500_.jpg

I've never seen those brands here. That's why we all use Krown. 

Does that stuff creep like Krown? And if you spray Krown on a wet piece of steel, the water will actually bead and roll off.

So don't know if it is any better but it's all I know and it has saved my vehicles. They have a de-salt wash now too. I get it done and it works really nice.

The chemicals they have on the roads here, and the amounts they put on are ridiculous. You literally have to keep stopping and using a liquid to clean your headlights because it is like a layer of cement on them.

Here's the stuff I use:

https://www.krown.com/en/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bullheaded said:

I've never seen those brands here. That's why we all use Krown. 

Does that stuff creep like Krown? And if you spray Krown on a wet piece of steel, the water will actually bead and roll off.

So don't know if it is any better but it's all I know and it has saved my vehicles. They have a de-salt wash now too. I get it done and it works really nice.

The chemicals they have on the roads here, and the amounts they put on are ridiculous. You literally have to keep stopping and using a liquid to clean your headlights because it is like a layer of cement on them.

Here's the stuff I use:

https://www.krown.com/en/

Never saw or heard of Krowns till this thread. I’ve tried a thinner Lanolin base, made by “fluid film”, but not as impressed with it. 

The Duty Master won’t creep, it will draw and pool, but not creep into fasteners as described. I also keep it off my wiring, can’t afford to experiment. 

• 2 months later...
46 minutes ago, Freightrain said:

So as long as you NEVER have to work on the truck again, it's good?  LOL!!

Lol,I don't mean the whole rail just along the top and bottom where the salt and moisture gets in between them,was thinking that would seal them up better than paint or undercoating..

I've used the Lawson product on open gears in the past and it works well. If you get a truck up so weight is off the suspension and spray the spring leaves, they run quiet and work much easier. The rep used to stop by a couple of the shops weekly for clips and such and it was always really convenient. A little spendy at times for some items but they certainly have a lot and want to ensure you are happy is what I've found.

I use a product by "Winzer" for door hinges and glass runs. It sprays on like a liquid foam and solids up clear getting into rolling bushings and such firming up as it dries. It's kinda like a chain lubricant.

Funny with your original photo as I have a fresh "13" pool ball for the shifter, and an "8" for the steering column adjust in my RL-755LST model I have yet to install.

• Thanks 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 3:04 PM, 1958 F.W.D. said:

Whats a three pack of that Drummond stuff run? I have to create an account and log in blah blah blah.........Would like to coat the underside of my 1500 Ram. 

Sells in a three pack of 20 OZ cans for $28.99. The guy I buy from is 715-564-3328, straight shooter. You will pay the shipping.

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 9:08 AM, Rob said:

Funny with your original photo as I have a fresh "13" pool ball for the shifter, and an "8" for the steering column adjust in my RL-755LST model I have yet to install.

It was the "8th" generation F150, so I picked the theme. My favorite vintage for general build, spec, etc. Keep putting the same driveline, engine, comp, harnesses, and diff gears into new versions of the old chassis since 2004. Motor is on it's third life.

725952961_generation9.JPG.6266671563d6b842a4c75ef00e70ed70.JPG

• Like 1

Nice theme. My grand daughter would absolutely love the color. Put a LOT of bedsides on that series due to rust under warranty from Ford in the 90's. 

Grandpa always called someone whom was different an "8 Ball", so was wondering how you cabbaged onto the theme. Once upon a time I installed higher end billiards tables so retained a high quality set of balls and had both mentioned earlier to fit shifter handles eventually. I've had them since about 1979 or early 1980.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

4 hours ago, Mack Technician said:

Sells in a three pack of 20 OZ cans for $28.99. The guy I buy from is 715-564-3328, straight shooter. You will pay the shipping.

You have used it before......Rough stupid wild-ass guess.......How many cans you think to do the underside of a 1500 Ram Crew Cab/Short Bed? 

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

1 hour ago, 1958 F.W.D. said:

You have used it before......Rough stupid wild-ass guess.......How many cans you think to do the underside of a 1500 Ram Crew Cab/Short Bed? 

2 packs of 3 cans is my guess.

As far as interior spraying.....I sprayed the interior of the doors.....That wept from the rain drains (onto the low door jamb), a little at a time, for almost two years in the heat of direct sunlight and will want to stick onto the wife's pants when she hops in, so avoid that mistake. In places where I couldn't properly direct-spray the underside i used a weed sprayer to inject a mixture of waste oil. Places like the up side of the inner wheel well canopies.   

initially I bought a cheap roll of vapor barrier plastic for when I left it in the garage. It doesn't drip for very long and stiffens up. As mentioned, direct sun can thin the tar a bit.

Edited by Mack Technician