International CV Series

RoadwayR

I see some goofy looking ones out there too. Stopped to take a leak at a rest stop in Indiana on my last trip and some young guy jumps out of a purple Peterbilt in shorts, tee shirt, and unlaced tennis shoes without socks, (It is still mid March) spitting out his "chew" on the pavement. He had one of those oversized visors and a set of rear full wrap fiberglass fenders that were busted all to hell. Fenders weren't even painted and still in their white gelcoat finish. 

I guess that's what it takes to look "Cool", but I don't find that look impressive and quite the opposite. 

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Got to drive a Silverado 6500 quite a bit last week.  They are pretty good!  Of course visibility and cab room are not the greatest, but I think they are a step up from the Ram 5500 and F-550.  Probably the F-600 too but I have not been around one of those yet.  NAV and GM really need to make 22.5" wheels an option to make in 'dock height' and give enough room for side mounted fuel tanks.  A gasoline engine would be a plus as well.

1 hour ago, RoadwayR said:

Got to drive a Silverado 6500 quite a bit last week.  They are pretty good!  Of course visibility and cab room are not the greatest, but I think they are a step up from the Ram 5500 and F-550.  Probably the F-600 too but I have not been around one of those yet.  NAV and GM really need to make 22.5" wheels an option to make in 'dock height' and give enough room for side mounted fuel tanks.  A gasoline engine would be a plus as well.

Demo  or your co bought some?  Is it not the same cab as the HD Silverado?  And visibility is good?  hood looks......"bulbous"?? Or is seating position higher than 3500?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red Horse said:

Demo  or your co bought some?  Is it not the same cab as the HD Silverado?  And visibility is good?  hood looks......"bulbous"?? Or is seating position higher than 3500?

Bought 3, more on order.  Same cab as the 2015-2019 Silverado HD.  Visibility so-so, seating position is O.K. but tall hood and raked windshield.  Cab is mounted quite a bit higher than a 3500, but the seat looks the same.  Other thing I noticed about these trucks is there is a lot of junk under the hood, but it is laid out well.  Looks like you can get to anything that would need getting at. 

8 hours ago, RoadwayR said:

Bought 3, more on order.  Same cab as the 2015-2019 Silverado HD.  Visibility so-so, seating position is O.K. but tall hood and raked windshield.  Cab is mounted quite a bit higher than a 3500, but the seat looks the same.  Other thing I noticed about these trucks is there is a lot of junk under the hood, but it is laid out well.  Looks like you can get to anything that would need getting at. 

These are pix I took at  a show.  Still looks "crowded" but a V-8 is a V-8.  and for sure better than a PS in an F-550.  Ford and Dodge have to get with it and come up with a tilt hood.  Even the Cummins in a Dodge looks crowded.

5F693CEA-2BAD-41C9-ACB8-126C3BF202F4.jpeg

F8550CC7-1AFC-4834-94A0-565E9AD4A51E.jpeg

11 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

So Bob, users are going to spill AdBlue (DEF) all over the right fender. Poor design.

Well when I saw that my only concern is what area of truck is most susceptible to accident damage?  I would say front end and in particular right front.  I did see Roadway's positive view that the body guys are less likely to mess with it vs the typical rear of cab chasiss location but I think it makes most sense in close proximity to fuel fill.  I'm sure soneone will say- "yeah but then someone is going to put diesel in it" but given the color of the cap, that should not be a real issue unless someone has a booze or drug issue🤪

• Like 1

we have the silverado version at work, we put a wrecker body on it. we got it in January, one of the first in the area. i had a bitch of a time mounting the 4 outlet pto as i had to majorly modify the transmount bracket. GM/ih was not thinkin with that, or the lack of front mudflaps cause one trip down the road and mud is everywhere. my other bitch is GMs programming for the PTO. had to have a GM guy from the dealer come to the shop to program the pto even tho switch was already in the dash from factory. and guess what, you have the have the E brake engaged to turn the pto on, must be really handy with a dump truck tryin to spread stone eh? and btw, the turning radius absolutely sucks balls. take half a football field to turn around. other than that its a pretty stout truck

Edited by Maddog13407

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Our 6500 dump has an electric hoist.  Wonder what is up, the turning radius of ours is great.  Yeah, the front wheels to throw mud a bit. 

Funny what you mention about P.T.O.'s, I have a friend who is trying to spec. and Isuzu FTR as a small roll-off dumpster truck.  Upfitter says the same thing, you can't get the P.T.O. to engage without the parking (in this case spring) brakes on.  That won't work for this application, you have to move the truck to load and unload the dumpster.  They are working on a solution.  Is this some new safety 'feature'?  Sounds like someone lost a lawsuit.....

we had to have the dealer come to the shop with GM software to program the pto to turn on and at what rpm to run it even tho the switch was in the dash. yes being a tow truck its a pain in the ass to have to hit switch, undo brake to move the truck forward 2 feet if your in recovery situation, sometimes where life is in danger. as of now neither GM nor aftermarket makes front mudflaps for these i dont think. ours is 4 by 4 so i wonder if thats another reason the turning radius is poor. makes for interesting turn on the interstate when you have to do a U turn

2 hours ago, Maddog13407 said:

we had to have the dealer come to the shop with GM software to program the pto to turn on and at what rpm to run it even tho the switch was in the dash. yes being a tow truck its a pain in the ass to have to hit switch, undo brake to move the truck forward 2 feet if your in recovery situation, sometimes where life is in danger. as of now neither GM nor aftermarket makes front mudflaps for these i dont think. ours is 4 by 4 so i wonder if thats another reason the turning radius is poor. makes for interesting turn on the interstate when you have to do a U turn

What GVW and curious as to reason a CV vs a Dodge or Ford?  I was talking to a guy the other day with a new Chevy-not sure what rating but it had a very big utility body on it-open bed but tool compartments both sides- guy is a mechanical/piping contractor.  I asked why this vs Ford or Dodge.."tilt hood?".  Answer.."it was the cheapest by a long shot".  I'm sure that will end once they sell enough of them.  Plenty of dealers have inventory but I have not seen many on road-either badge.

10 hours ago, Maddog13407 said:

we were a GM Chevy Olds dealer, thats why. no ovals or cumaparts around here. ours is a 4500. and badges Chevy althought every tag in the door jambs says International

Well that explains that decision-probably  still a couple  of  Bow ties hanging on walls😎.  And for sure on the "IH" badges-built in the Navistar plant!  Is  there any commonality with say a 3500 GM?

I remember in the Bluediamond days.  I recorded the spring hangar numbers on a 4400 that was at the International dealer and went down the street to Ford dealer-exact same numbers on a 750!

Cab and interior is the same as a 2015-2019 Silverado, engine is the same.  Electrical all GM that I can see.  Chassis and suspension all Navistar, but it looks different from what is on the MV's.  I think a lot of the Navistar supplied parts are unique to this truck

door decals in a 4500 silverado still read International . thats a piss in the eyeball there. cant even print your own vin number decals in the door jamb. dont get me wrong this truck is a pullin sob with the wrecker body on but god there are some things on it that make you scratch your head

8 hours ago, RoadwayR said:

I noticed on ours the door jamb sticker and the California Clean Idle sticker on the hood both say Navistar, and the VIN starts 1H, which is International's identifier.  

Not that it matters but just wondering.  The Ford/International thing was announced as a JV with the creation of a new entity, "Bluediamond". I think all of the door jam plates referred to Bluediamond-  At least that is how I remember. 

I don't think this new GM/Navistar deal created a "new entity"-  or did it?

How  about it KSC?

12 hours ago, Red Horse said:

Not that it matters but just wondering.  The Ford/International thing was announced as a JV with the creation of a new entity, "Bluediamond". I think all of the door jam plates referred to Bluediamond-  At least that is how I remember. 

I don't think this new GM/Navistar deal created a "new entity"-  or did it?

How  about it KSC?

While they call it a JV, to my knowledge Bob they did not create a new entity.