need help 12 speed maxitorque air leak

swdrag1

Need Help!! I have a 1982 Mack r model with a 12 speed maxitorque transmission it started leaking air out the exhaust line on the shifter when I put it in high range, I thought it was the shifter knob so I bought a new one and that didn't cure the problem. I was able to drive in low range with no problems but now it is starting to leak out the exhaust line when I put it in low. 

I would start with re oringing  the split cyl you can do this From the back side of the trans IN (THE TRUCK) by removing the 4 bolt cap (3/8 bolts)  with the round cylinder on it! sliding everything off in order pay attention to how to take it off as there are several pieces inside!

Just my observation the regulators rarely screw up !

Edited by fjh

8 hours ago, swdrag1 said:

Thanks .Any idea where the regulator is located and is this something I can repair without taking to the shop

On the top of the transmission RHS on the ones I have worked on

Some have two regulators some have two 

They should ne 55 -60 psi

Paul 

Edited by mrsmackpaul

• 4 years later...

Please let me know if you can allocate the rebuild kit #. I ordered a standard o ring kit plastic washers and a snap ring kit to ensure I have a large selection on hand. But would prefer to know I have all I need with a kit can piece it together. Thanks in advance!

3 hours ago, tjc transport said:

not just this forum.

in general it is a problem with all forums. one post wonders come asking questions, get help and never come back to say if it fixed it or not. 

Worked kinda like those "one-way" radios we used to have in the vehicle with us.  Give 'em a smokey report, and they never said "thanks" or returned the favor.

• Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

6 hours ago, frantzevan said:

Please let me know if you can allocate the rebuild kit #. I ordered a standard o ring kit plastic washers and a snap ring kit to ensure I have a large selection on hand. But would prefer to know I have all I need with a kit can piece it together. Thanks in advance!

Here it is this is a pai kit,not sure where I ordered it just google it you’ll find it,this not only fixed the air leaking from the exhaust port but I also had a problem shifting into reverse when it got cold out like neat freezing,this also fixed that problem..let us know how it works out,like I said it’s any easy fix but use the kit,the o rings are a little different then you’ll find elsewhere..

126D342B-1181-4D92-BF65-B3E7A657E486.jpeg