Antique/Historic registration in Ohio

Anybody know how to go about registering an antique semi and antique trailer in the state of Ohio?? I get different answers from the DMV each time I call, so figured I’d ask on here as I’m sure there’s others who have registered antique semi’s for recreational and show purposes in the state of OH. 

I went to the local Bureau of Motor Vehicles Registration office in Preble county OH and got historical plates for $46.45 in 2014 for my B 61. The are good until 6/30/2050 . I doubt that I will be good for that long . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eddeere said:

I went to the local Bureau of Motor Vehicles Registration office in Preble county OH and got historical plates for $46.45 in 2014 for my B 61. The are good until 6/30/2050 . I doubt that I will be good for that long . 

Did they make you get a US DOT number? Wouldn’t think one is needed as it’s not commercial but I’m not sure. Does the historical plates include the registration? 

I too put Historical plates on my 'B61 15 yrs ago.  Yes, the DMV gave me dirty looks and "you better not be using this commercially" comment.   No problems.

With these plates, you don't need any DOT number or IFTA.  Just don't get caught hauling freight or doing something "illegal"  LOL!!  I use my truck to pull my 40ft race car trailer everywhere.   I'm skirting that grey area of the law, but so far, so good.  I have my CDL, so I don't worry about being hassled.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

2 hours ago, Freightrain said:

I too put Historical plates on my 'B61 15 yrs ago.  Yes, the DMV gave me dirty looks and "you better not be using this commercially" comment.   No problems.

With these plates, you don't need any DOT number or IFTA.  Just don't get caught hauling freight or doing something "illegal"  LOL!!  I use my truck to pull my 40ft race car trailer everywhere.   I'm skirting that grey area of the law, but so far, so good.  I have my CDL, so I don't worry about being hassled.

Yeah it seems the DMV doesn't like handing out historic plates. I won't be doing anything commercially, if anything, I'd haul another antique vehicle with it to truck shows. But it would be my own personal property. I've noticed a lot of people at the truck shows do not have a CDL. Some plates even say recreational vehicle, but I don't know how they pulled that off.

4 hours ago, Freightrain said:

1 hour ago, tl1975 said:

Yeah it seems the DMV doesn't like handing out historic plates. I won't be doing anything commercially, if anything, I'd haul another antique vehicle with it to truck shows. But it would be my own personal property. I've noticed a lot of people at the truck shows do not have a CDL. Some plates even say recreational vehicle, but I don't know how they pulled that off.

I don’t know about other states but in Montana you can register a any semi as an “rv”  because you pull a fifth wheel or have a motor home body on it and still pulls 40’ toyhauler behind it with out a cdl or any commercial implications as long as it’s just hauling your toys. Hell I’ve bitched about it before but it still irks the hell out of me that farmers get an exemption and don’t need a cdl and can drive anything under the sun as long as it’s hauling or pulling their own stuff. Makes no sense to let green horns that don’t have to get a cdl or medical card get behind the wheel of a semi but you know how the saying always starts, “the poor farmers....”.

• Like 1

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

I have HISTORICAL plates on my 1992 MH.  OH states the vehicle must be at least 25 years old.  I live in Stark County and the DMV did not blink an eye when I asked for historical plates.  BTW, I have a commercial plate on my trailer (2005).  If they ask, tell them you do not use the vehicle commercially nor for hire.  As long as you are hauling your own property, there should be no issue.  You will need a CDL if the GVW is over 26K.  The DMV gets picky if you want RV license.  It must be a "motor home" or pull a travel trailer.  The RV license will not allow you legally to pull a trailer hauling another vehicle (unless your tow vehicle is a RV).  Best bet is to go for Historical plates as long as it is at least 25 years old.  You do not need a medical card if you are not for hire.  There is an exemption form you must sign.  You might letter the side of the truck with "NOT FOR HIRE".

HeavyGunner - if you have a big a$$ motor home, you don't need a CDL either.  Just think of all the "grandpas and grandmas" out there driving a 45' motor home.

• Like 2

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

1 hour ago, farmer52 said:

I have HISTORICAL plates on my 1992 MH.  OH states the vehicle must be at least 25 years old.  I live in Stark County and the DMV did not blink an eye when I asked for historical plates.  BTW, I have a commercial plate on my trailer (2005).  If they ask, tell them you do not use the vehicle commercially nor for hire.  As long as you are hauling your own property, there should be no issue.  You will need a CDL if the GVW is over 26K.  The DMV gets picky if you want RV license.  It must be a "motor home" or pull a travel trailer.  The RV license will not allow you legally to pull a trailer hauling another vehicle (unless your tow vehicle is a RV).  Best bet is to go for Historical plates as long as it is at least 25 years old.  You do not need a medical card if you are not for hire.  There is an exemption form you must sign.  You might letter the side of the truck with "NOT FOR HIRE".

HeavyGunner - if you have a big a$$ motor home, you don't need a CDL either.  Just think of all the "grandpas and grandmas" out there driving a 45' motor home.

I'm with you 100%, if people driving giant motor homes or pulling 40+ft campers had to go through the bullshit an actual truck driver endures our trucking laws would be 100% different. I get tired of all the regs and bull crap I have to put up with and then John farmer or his hired hands can just jump in and drive with out any of the training or bs cdl holders put up with. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

thanks for all the info! "Not For Hire" would be visible just to be safe. Anybody with historic plates...has any cops ever bothered you guys for driving "too frequently"? I've heard people say that they've been pulled over and had an officer tell them a truck with Historic plates isn't supposed to be used as general transportation. I mean, when the weather's nice out how can they stop you from taking a Sunday drive in the summer and going for ice cream??

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tl1975 said:

thanks for all the info! "Not For Hire" would be visible just to be safe. Anybody with historic plates...has any cops ever bothered you guys for driving "too frequently"? I've heard people say that they've been pulled over and had an officer tell them a truck with Historic plates isn't supposed to be used as general transportation. I mean, when the weather's nice out how can they stop you from taking a Sunday drive in the summer and going for ice cream??

I agree, nothing says you can't go for a Sunday or occasional drive.  I never been stopped but I am usually going to a show.  Last summer I drove from PA to IA to attend the ATHS show in Des Moines.  I never got stopped and went thru several weight stations.

Perhaps you can tell the cop you are going for coffee and donuts.  Invite him along and tell him you are buying.  :blink:

• Like 2

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

39 minutes ago, farmer52 said:

I agree, nothing says you can't go for a Sunday or occasional drive.  I never been stopped but I am usually going to a show.  Last summer I drove from PA to IA to attend the ATHS show in Des Moines.  I never got stopped and went thru several weight stations.

Perhaps you can tell the cop you are going for coffee and donuts.  Invite him along and tell him you are buying.  :blink:

Well that’s an idea, but then I’ll have the whole department to feed  🍩

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Go to the ATHS Northeast Ohio Chapter website, northeastohiochapterofaths.com, or contact their chapter president Richard Stevens, ops90th@gmail.com, He will have the information you are seeking as to which hoops you must jump thru. Larry Freightrain should also have some other phone numbers for you to call.. They are a good bunch of guys and someone will help you. 

Brocky

Sad story......... I had an elderly friend with an all steel 32 Ford roadster he bought in california in 1962, drove home and restored.   He got caught "driving it too much"(like two nights in a row on the cruise strip) and was told he needed to put regular plates on it.   That is the only time I have ever heard of anyone getting grief about historical plates.

And then I see these rusty bucket of bolts '90's pickups with historical tags driving around town all the time.  WTH?  I have three vehicles with hist tags, but they only go out 1-2 times a month any more, and more likely even less these days.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

1 hour ago, Brocky said:

Go to the ATHS Northeast Ohio Chapter website, northeastohiochapterofaths.com, or contact their chapter president Richard Stevens, ops90th@gmail.com, He will have the information you are seeking as to which hoops you must jump thru. Larry Freightrain should also have some other phone numbers for you to call.. They are a good bunch of guys and someone will help you. 

Glad to see an informational topic on this subject. I’ve been given the run around by my local BMV, it’s almost like they don’t like to give out historic plates. Lots of “grey” area too on certain things. Going to get in touch with the ATHS NE Ohio and get all the proper info. 

When I had my ‘58 B Model dump I asked  about historical  plates and was told the truck can only be used for antique truck functions - shows, travel to antique meetings, parades, meets, etc.  I asked about hauling something for myself such as mulch or gravel and was told no.  Bought regular plates rather than take the chance.  

Denny

330-550-6020

A "Mack Pack" Charter Member

I live in the People's Republic of Maryland and their historic tags have that written on the bottom of the tag but the tags look like any other tag. In the interest of safety, I put reflective DOT tape on the bottom of the tag (covering the historic portion). You can't tell it from a regular tag! This was done only in the interest of safety mind you! I have been thru scales in Md, Va, Pa, Ny, Wva, Del and never had a problem, except in Pa I was pulled over 2xs because of no IFTA stickers, but when the officer saw I was legal, no problem. Just make sure you received no traceable compensation for anything you'll be fine.

• Like 2

The words "Antique/Historical Vehicle" and "Not For Hire" lettered in where the ICC/DOT number would usually be help a lot in not being stopped. Even though you do NOT have to cross the scales it is best to so they can see your antique plate. Much better than having them run you down!! And 95% of the time you do get run around back it is because the scale man wants to admire your antique. 

Edited by Brocky
  • Like 1

Brocky