R700 in Alabama

h67st

1 hour ago, 1965 said:

Would that have the short cab?

That is the +3 cab. Dead givaway is the grab handle on the cab corner. To the somewhat experienced eye the cab corner is also wider than the shorter cab with the steel dash which ended in 1972.  Has heavy rears too.

It would either be the ENDT-865, and ENDT-866 engines dependent upon "Maxidyne, or Thermodyne", and transmission choice.

All  kinds of errors in that listing. I suppose the owner is not handling the sale. Listed as 300hp and if original would be 325,  Mack "triplex" trans but it's probably a TRDL-107, (two stick six speed) as the truck is an R-795 and that was common. It could have the low reduction trans like mine which is a TRDL-1071.

Lot of guessing on my part as anything can be changed through the years.

Edited by Rob
  • Like 2

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

If the photos are honest I could believe about 500 miles on the front drivers and steer with a bit of a stretch. The rear rears, not so believable.

I'm always skeptical when there are known errors, or third parties involved in a sale of something I know a little, (borderline nuthin) about.....

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

2 hours ago, Rob said:

That is the +3 cab. Dead givaway is the grab handle on the cab corner. To the somewhat experienced eye the cab corner is also wider than the shorter cab with the steel dash which ended in 1972.  Has heavy rears too.

It would either be the ENDT-865, and ENDT-866 engines dependent upon "Maxidyne, or Thermodyne", and transmission choice.

All  kinds of errors in that listing. I suppose the owner is not handling the sale. Listed as 300hp and if original would be 325,  Mack "triplex" trans but it's probably a TRDL-107, (two stick six speed) as the truck is an R-795 and that was common. It could have the low reduction trans like mine which is a TRDL-1071.

Lot of guessing on my part as anything can be changed through the years.

Thanks; I knew it was early 70’s something. I noticed the very rear tires were different tread pattern it seemed. Thought the tri-plex was kinda strange for that year too. 

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Mack man 1973 said:

I owned an 866 they are a nightmare to get parts for anymore if you do find them better have a deep checkbook .

Yea; I’d love to have an old dog but all there parts are getting that way.

To me the V8 engines are my favorites and for god sakes, don't blow one up. Parts can be rebuilt if not just destroyed and one certainly cannot work one constantly, (864, 865, 866 series) any longer. They don't break any more than anything else, but hard parts are getting scarce for certain. The water pump in my water wagon truck is gone to a rebuild shop as there are no ready spares available so rebuilding the original.

I think 1981, or 1982 from leftover parts but not really certain. Never was around any that weren't Mack powered except my RL755 which has a Cat 1693TA. It has a water to air setup and there is no room to install a CAC in front of the radiator shutters. I'm sure a guy could install a CAC if the shutters are done away with. All four of my trucks have shutters however so probably there throughout the line.

3 hours ago, dogg rescue said:

What was the last year of the r 700? Could a chassis mounted inter cooler be mounted ahead of the radiator on a rs713lst?

R747, 754, 767 and 770 are listed through 1985. Almost all of the others didn't go past the 70's.

I seen a 79 once and that is probably the newest I've actually seen myself. it was a V8 truck but don't know if and 865, or 866 engine as the hood was closed. My 78 has the hood style later adopted to the "Valueliner" line with the raised center section where my 77 still has the extended flat hood as do the others. 

I would agree. There really weren't too many of either in my locale. I remember one R700 which was owner operated in 78, but everything else I was around was either a B model or R600 series.

The RW series was slow to catch on as the hood had a lot of blind spots off road. I wasn't really around freight haulers much in those days.