My Berg parking valve gave up Sunday....

Freightrain

The pin broke in half as I pulled it.  Lucky I was in the driveway after a short test drive to check out my new jakes.   Was able to get the truck in the garage before it leaked down.

I poked around eBay to see if I could find one to no avail.  Guess I need to upgrade but want to use my antique chrome knob.  I hope the pin sizes are universal.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

1 hour ago, Freightrain said:

The pin broke in half as I pulled it.  Lucky I was in the driveway after a short test drive to check out my new jakes.   Was able to get the truck in the garage before it leaked down.

I poked around eBay to see if I could find one to no avail.  Guess I need to upgrade but want to use my antique chrome knob.  I hope the pin sizes are universal.

larry    i have some old berg valves  let me look around before you go all new  shoot a pic of what you broke

Sounds about right?  I need to measure it and see.  

It's crazy how it just snapped in half and fell in my hand when I went to release the brakes.  

Edited by Freightrain

Larry

I just remembered where another box of older salvaged valves are. Don't know what's in there or what condition, but I'll look in a bit when out to the shop.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Picked up a new Bendix today.  Once I got the handle off the shaft I realized it was 5/16".  I put it on my mill and lined the hole up and enlarged it to 3/8" and drilled it for larger roll pin.  Only problem is the valve didn't come with a nut?  Of course it is larger then my old valve.  It is bastard size thread OD?  .885.  not 7/8" so I wonder if bastard metric?   Need to figure that out before installation.

Larry

22 or 22,5 milimeter i.d.  nut, probably a 1.5 pitch.

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

.866 is 22mm so figure 22.5.  Was going to take it to work and throw a pitch gage on it.  Yes, likely the nut fell out of package somewhere along the way before I got it.  Didn't think much about it til I got home and realized it.  Then found out it was bigger then Berg thread.  Ugh.

Larry

Threw pitch gauges on it this morning.   1.25 mm or 20 TPI.  The 20 actually fits better, but at .881 diameter it can't be 7/8"?  Has to be 22.5 mm x 1.25 thread(just because).

Likely just order the nut from you link Jim.  Thanks.

Larry

Thread OD would never be bigger then nominal size.  .002-.005 would be typical clearance on OD on something that size.  So, 22.5 mm is .885, so .881 is right on.

ISO...... ugh, don't even bring that up around my work.   We tried that like 15 yrs ago.  What a failure that was.  We had two different people/places come in and try to get us certified.  Never happen.  The owner thought we needed to be since we deal with Automotive stuff.  Lucky we are like 3rd tier and not considered to need ISO certification.  We wasted A LOT of money both in time and material(mostly paper).  Some of it helped with paper trail and forms we still use today.  The rest?  Fogettabotit.

Larry

Well, stopped at Cross Truck yesterday and they had ONE nut left.  Seems the nut is NOT included with the valves these days.  Yup, just a way to get ANOTHER $4 out of you along with the $45 for the valve.  Geesh.

I got it put in last night and works well.  That is after I got it hooked up correctly.  Seems I have the IN and OUT backwards and it had a bit of a "leak" when I aired the truck up.  LOL!   Had to pull it and swap fittings around.   Strangely enough it seems to hold air better now then it did for years.   I think the old Berg valve was leaking air by and you couldn't really tell.   I forgot to look at it before starting the truck today, but pretty sure it had some air pressure and it typically would have NOTHING left over night.  Life is good?   This valve is a bit smoother in actuation then the old valve also. 

Larry

9 hours ago, Freightrain said:

Well, stopped at Cross Truck yesterday and they had ONE nut left.  Seems the nut is NOT included with the valves these days.  Yup, just a way to get ANOTHER $4 out of you along with the $45 for the valve.  Geesh.

I got it put in last night and works well.  That is after I got it hooked up correctly.  Seems I have the IN and OUT backwards and it had a bit of a "leak" when I aired the truck up.  LOL!   Had to pull it and swap fittings around.   Strangely enough it seems to hold air better now then it did for years.   I think the old Berg valve was leaking air by and you couldn't really tell.   I forgot to look at it before starting the truck today, but pretty sure it had some air pressure and it typically would have NOTHING left over night.  Life is good?   This valve is a bit smoother in actuation then the old valve also. 

As I have aged over the years, I have trouble hearing a lot of things!! Especially air leaks.    terry

Me too being the victim of both diesel engine generators, and jet aircraft engines. I've found my eyes easiest to use finding leaks along with the pressure washer spraying car wash soap through it's injector nozzle at low pressure to be great although not too good on interiors where I use a spray bottle for that. Car wash soap is a high foaming product that clings/dwells in an area so gives you time to look around at all the fittings and connections or such.

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.