This should be mandatory for snowflakes to watch

HeavyGunner

I always looked forward to mike's show. It was refreshing to see real life work that suck just as bad as my days at work. I wanted to fix motorcycles for a living but my family wouldn't have it so I became a caterpillar mechanic and spent time fixing stuff broke down in coal breakers and landfills and on the side of innerstates and driving some really crappy trucks. But watching that show many times I thought good god boy am I lucky I'm not doing those jobs. How bout everyone else?

At one point I worked at a sawmill and every six months they shut down one of the production lines for maintanence and I always chose the boiler. The work wasn't pleasant, getting inside the furnace portion of the wood fired boiler and break all the silica off of the bullnose with a sledgehammer was never fun. It was very hot, the debri was very abrasive and would rub you raw in no time flat but the job payed well and I really enjoyed the people that worked at the boiler. That is why I chose to work down there rather than see where the lottery style drawing for jobs during down weeks took me. 

• Like 1

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

I grew up around trucks and always wanted to drive one for a living. When I got into high school I took diesel mechanics at a vo-tech school so I would fully understand the engine, driveline, etc. When I graduated, I took a job at a Cat dealer working on truck engines since no one would hire an 18 year old to drive. Later on I got to do some OTR driving and found out that I actually enjoyed turning wrenches more than driving. What Mike says about opportunity is very true.

• Like 1

Dead on it, just like Mike usually is.

My passion was trucks growing up.  That was all I thought about.  My parents told me I had to get a "real" job.   I dropped out of college after 1 1/2 yrs and got a driving job.  That grew into my 31 yrs at my company and learning a ton of skills along the way.  Lucky for me, that job has given me the opportunity to play with trucks.  Not too bad I suppose.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

• 1 month later...

i have always been a gear head, loved cars and trucks liked fixing them liked working on and modifying my cars ect ect. i thought as a teenage being a auto mechanic would be a dream job. till i got that job and i liked it at first but i burned out quick. doing it as a job every day day in and day out killed all my fun in doing it. after that it was always do a job you can tolerate and do well at and keep your passion a hobby. 

i have also always done well in life by being willing to do jobs other people didn't want to do. before i got into trucking i worked my way up from a grunt to a foreman in only a few years just by being willing to do whatever needed to be done. i worked in a factory before that and did well there because i was always willing to do whatever needed to be done witch ment that i gained lot of knowledge of multiple area's of the plant witch the bosses loved because anytime someone called in ect, i always was the first call to come in and get over/or double time. also moved up the pay scale much faster than most. 

i gained lots of skills threw out my working life that kind makes me a jack of all trades. witch really helps now being a o/o business owner. because i have lots of skill sets that many of witch help me in my day to day. 

• Like 2