Sign in to follow this  
HeavyGunner

This should be mandatory for snowflakes to watch

I always looked forward to mike's show. It was refreshing to see real life work that suck just as bad as my days at work. I wanted to fix motorcycles for a living but my family wouldn't have it so I became a caterpillar mechanic and spent time fixing stuff broke down in coal breakers and landfills and on the side of innerstates and driving some really crappy trucks. But watching that show many times I thought good god boy am I lucky I'm not doing those jobs. How bout everyone else?

At one point I worked at a sawmill and every six months they shut down one of the production lines for maintanence and I always chose the boiler. The work wasn't pleasant, getting inside the furnace portion of the wood fired boiler and break all the silica off of the bullnose with a sledgehammer was never fun. It was very hot, the debri was very abrasive and would rub you raw in no time flat but the job payed well and I really enjoyed the people that worked at the boiler. That is why I chose to work down there rather than see where the lottery style drawing for jobs during down weeks took me. 

• Like 1

I grew up around trucks and always wanted to drive one for a living. When I got into high school I took diesel mechanics at a vo-tech school so I would fully understand the engine, driveline, etc. When I graduated, I took a job at a Cat dealer working on truck engines since no one would hire an 18 year old to drive. Later on I got to do some OTR driving and found out that I actually enjoyed turning wrenches more than driving. What Mike says about opportunity is very true.

• Like 1

Dead on it, just like Mike usually is.

My passion was trucks growing up.  That was all I thought about.  My parents told me I had to get a "real" job.   I dropped out of college after 1 1/2 yrs and got a driving job.  That grew into my 31 yrs at my company and learning a ton of skills along the way.  Lucky for me, that job has given me the opportunity to play with trucks.  Not too bad I suppose.

• Like 1