mack buses and their transmissions

davedavies

good morning all.

posting for a brother with trans. problems in his c49.

i was hoping for a bus forum, but maybe i can hit paydirt here.

the bus is complete, trans is out for new bearings, but second gear is a mess.

spicer  918t. does any one have one of these transmissions or perhaps a complete pusher set up including rear axle they will part with?

thank you for your help

"mikey"

yakima wa.

509 250 2303

I have a complete engine and transmission out of a Mack bus I wish to sell.  Had it on here for sale a while back.  I have some pictures, and some info on what is cast onto the engine and tranny.  Was removed from a working (ROADWORTHY) BUS BY A FRIEND ABOUT 20 YEARS AGO.  I know very little about it.  I do not wish to take it apart, but want to sell it complete.  Can palletize and load on a freight carrier, or take to a fastenal store for shipping.  Contact me here, or 540.371.2301.  Located in Virginia, 50 miles south of Wash., DC.  Carey Leitch

On 11/12/2017 at 7:40 AM, steelman said:

I have a complete engine and transmission out of a Mack bus I wish to sell.  Had it on here for sale a while back.  I have some pictures, and some info on what is cast onto the engine and tranny.  Was removed from a working (ROADWORTHY) BUS BY A FRIEND ABOUT 20 YEARS AGO.  I know very little about it.  I do not wish to take it apart, but want to sell it complete.  Can palletize and load on a freight carrier, or take to a fastenal store for shipping.  Contact me here, or 540.371.2301.  Located in Virginia, 50 miles south of Wash., DC.  Carey Leitch

From what bus fleet did that engine come from? City Of Hampton?

59 minutes ago, Lmackattack said:

is that a automatic transmission? never seen one of these before?

Yes. I believe the early models has the Spicer model 184 "Turbo-Matic" 2-speed automatic transmission, and later models had the Spicer 918.

Two speeds doesn't sound like much but they were actually a pleasure to drive, including on the highway.

43 minutes ago, kscarbel2 said:

Yes. I believe the early models has the Spicer model 184 "Turbo-Matic" 2-speed automatic transmission, and later models had the Spicer 918.

Two speeds doesn't sound like much but they were actually a pleasure to drive, including on the highway.

A friend in High school had a 2 speed glider in his 1962 Chevy Impala. Under normal driving first gear went up to around 20MPH and then 2nd took us all the way to 120MPH LOL. It had a kick down on it to downshift back into 1st but was rarely needed. you are right the car was fun to drive and smooth....

many buses from the 40/50's had two speeds... gutless-gearless.... also, a bit of googling came up with a 2012 BMT thread which guided towards old firetrucks having similar units, maybe our fire guys here can help.

given the short length, transverse layout, and the bevel drive it is going to be difficult to "upgrade" to an Allison... the VS/VH is totally obsolete but you can find them, the later 731 may be too long... neither will simply bolt on and be set for the wrong side to drive. 

one suggestion would be to search out one of the larger national bus museums and talk to their maintenance dept... if anyone can find documents and parts it's the bus guys... I looked in some of our tech info from the 60's and there was a quick reference to Spicer 918 in a few oddball buses but that's all.

There is a guy near Sacramento CA, http://www.coachmaintenance.com/ drop Ted an e-mail, he MAY be able to help.

BC Mack

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Lmackattack said:

A friend in High school had a 2 speed glider in his 1962 Chevy Impala. Under normal driving first gear went up to around 20MPH and then 2nd took us all the way to 120MPH LOL. It had a kick down on it to downshift back into 1st but was rarely needed. you are right the car was fun to drive and smooth....

The trans in my Mustang drag car in my avatar is a turbo-glide , modified turbo 400 that runs 2nd and hi. shifts into hi at 82m.p.h. Two speeds work well in may apps.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

My CF 719 had a two speed spicer hooked to the twin turbo 864 when it was built.  It gave the department so much trouble they considered junking the whole truck. They replaced it with an Allison.  

Andy Lieder too a V8 out of a CF to put in the tractor that pulls the super pumper. If the CF had a spicer in it you might be able to get it from him. Mike. 

• Like 1

Hi steelman. Yes I need that transmission. I would also be interested in a repower. With?? I would like to throw that question out to members. It's a 1957 c49 the endt 673 is fresh just had complete rebuild. I think the bus is in fabulous condition. 15,000 original 500 hours. IT was leased to the San Francisco Municipal Railroad. Shuttling passengers from bus station to rail station. SF Municipal bus # 2315. It's geared 5.78 in the diff and has only 2 speed. It was converted in '70s and licensed as such, we are redoing that. Needs exterior paint and afore mentioned  transmission and it's ready to roll  but we would like to travel faster than 48mph top speed thank you for any comments 

• 2 years later...

I have the same problem. I've gone through a lot of options. Do you have a bearing and gear shop in your area. It's probably a standard part. But the coupling is impossible to find. I've thought of changing the whole drive train to GM but they use that reverse engine and what a huge project the problem with the 2 speed is it tops out at 53 mph. Maybe a ring and pinion change would help. Please let me know if you have made any progress on your project.