H62X Global Ford Cargo Heavy Truck Emerges

kscarbel2

First pictures of Ford Motor Company's new H62X Cargo heavy truck for 2018. Serious metal indeed with up to 520 horsepower.

Featuring an all-new full-width cab, the Ford Cargo is now prepared to compete with Iveco, MAN, Mercedes-Benz, Renault, Scania and Volvo.

Ford was willing to allow its Chinese partner to build a variant* of the current Cargo under license, because the all new Cargo was on the way.

https://www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/48768-china-market-ford-cargo-heavy-tractor-arrives/.

image 1.jpg

image 2.jpg

image 3.JPG

image 4.jpg

The current Ford Cargo, an impressive truck in its own right in both the on-highway and vocational segments, was introduced in 2013*.

Ford-Ottosan, with the full support of Bill Ford, is charging forward in leaps and bounds.

https://www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/34938-the-global-market-ford-cargo-heavy-tractor/

Impressive, but how long before Hackett sells off Ford's interest to fund domestic EV development?  On the bright side I don't think such a sale would slow Ottosan down too much.  You never know, it might open the door to a strategic alliance with a global truck manufacturer..............

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RoadwayR said:

Impressive, but how long before Hackett sells off Ford's interest to fund domestic EV development?  On the bright side I don't think such a sale would slow Ottosan down too much.  You never know, it might open the door to a strategic alliance with a global truck manufacturer..............

For sure that is a concern, but as KSC has pointed out, I do believe Bill Ford is solidly in back of these guys.   And I do believe I read he was not in favor of the 1998 sale of class 7 and 8 to Daimler.   Also I believe Turkey for sure was on Hacketts early visitation list.

Last point, as Lee Iacoccoa  once said during his time at Ford...."you never forget whose name is on the building"

38 minutes ago, Red Horse said:

good point-KSC is the big Iveco conventional based on any cab over components?

Yes Bob, the Powerstar's* cab is a variant of the Stralis COE.

https://www.iveco.com.au/product/powerstar

Many conventionals have used COE cabs.

The original Freightliner Business Class conventional (1991-2001) used a COE cab from the Mercedes-Benz model LN.

The Freightliner Argosy II COE shares the same cab as the Century Class, Columbia and Coronado (the Argosy variant is 305mm wider).

The Mack MS Mid-Liner COE shared the same cab used on the Mack CS Mid-Liner conventional, and Renault’s C, CBH, CLM, CLR and GBC series conventional cab models.

The DAF XT conventional is based on the DAF XF105.

Scania's T-Series used the truckmaker's Bertone-designed 4-Series COE cab.

And the global market Volvo NH conventional was based on the FH/FM COE cab. The NH was full-width like the FH COE, while the North American market VN is a narrowed variant.

43 minutes ago, Red Horse said:

For sure that is a concern, but as KSC has pointed out, I do believe Bill Ford is solidly in back of these guys.   And I do believe I read he was not in favor of the 1998 sale of class 7 and 8 to Daimler.   Also I believe Turkey for sure was on Hacketts early visitation list.

Last point, as Lee Iacoccoa  once said during his time at Ford...."you never forget whose name is on the building"

There's something personal about Otosan for Bill Ford, I believe relating to his family's long time connection.

Henry Ford personally made the Koc family a Ford distributor in 1928.

And Ford invited hundreds of Turkish (and Syrian) workers to come join him in the states.

• 1 month later...

Put a hood on it and stretch the sleeper to make North America's truckers happy and it'd be a hit! Conventional wisdom is that small volume big trucks aren't worth the bother for big auto makers... But just as low volume high performance cars like the Ford GT have a "halo effect" that boosts sales of high volume cars, having a Class 8 and world class truck at the top of the lineup will boost sales of high volume trucks.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/21/2017 at 3:58 PM, kscarbel2 said:

In this photo, you can see the new H62X cab is a genuine "full-width" European level cab. H62X represents very serious intentions and investment on Ford's part. Well done.

2018 Ford Cargo (6).jpg

Kevin, is the Cab a Ford Design? or did they build one under licence??

Reason I ask, is It looks very Volvo-ish.

however that may change once all the camo is stripped Off..!!

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

26 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Kevin, is the Cab a Ford Design? or did they build one under licence??

Reason I ask, is It looks very Volvo-ish.

however that may change once all the camo is stripped Off..!!

No Volvo connection. I'm sure it is Ford proprietary. The cost of designing cabs today has fallen dramatically. Look at the Chinese truckmakers, for example. Most are now using proprietary cab designs (link below).

I'm proud of Otosan. They truly have a passion for trucks in their belly. And I'm thrilled to see Bill Ford continue to nurture the Ford-Otosan relationship along. Frankly speaking, the H62X is a big deal, on the same scale as the Transcontinental in 1975.

https://product.360che.com/p731/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The design is dictated by the overall length limits- In the EU they're generally allowed a 13.6 meter trailer in a 16.5 meter overall length. Add in the swing radius and they've only got about 2.5 meters length to fit a cab into. The setback axle is dictated by the weight limits and need for maneuverability. EU hours of service are so much tighter than ours that a sleeper is needed for any truck that runs between cities and double bunk sleepers are common.

• Like 1