Anyone here from coastal Texas???

1958 F.W.D.

Fox Morning News here in Philly just said that they will be measuring the rain from Harvey in "FEET." Currently Harvey is a CAT-2 in strength. I'm not too much of a religious man but I offer anyone down there positive thoughts. If and when you lose power, after the storm get on here when you can and give us all a SITREP.

Good luck and GOD BLESS. 

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Thanks for your thoughts. My daughter lives in Corpus Christi.  She and her husband and dog left town early this morning for higher ground in Laredo.  My brother also lives in Corpus.  He's staying just because he's old and hard-headed. (like me.)

If it rains the 2 feets or so they are talking about for Houston will be a real flooding disaster for those folks.

Edited by grayhair

Any of you own a tandem dump,tri axle, or dump trailer? During Andrew, which was mostly wind, every tandem dump in America suddenly doubled in price!, as long as it ran and dumped! And headed to Miami (no Dot checks during a disaster) were making 50 bucks an hr24 hrs a day! 25 years ago,mostly sitting in line waiting to dump debris! Rates have to be higher today! During Katrina,which was mostly water they needed dumps and wreckers to haul away inoperable vehicles! I talked to a towing contractor who spent several months there with  three wreckers paid by the hr! I believe they contract with Fema or the local municipalities! If Harvey is as bad as it seems to be the local contractors won't be able to handle the volume! Opportunity only knocks once! I kicked myself in the butt during Andrew for owning a flatbed not a tandem dump! I made money hauling roof insulation to Miami but could have made ten times as much with a beat up tandem dump or tri axle!

• Like 1

Any of you own a tandem dump,tri axle, or dump trailer? During Andrew, which was mostly wind, every tandem dump in America suddenly doubled in price!, as long as it ran and dumped! And headed to Miami (no Dot checks during a disaster) were making 50 bucks an hr24 hrs a day! 25 years ago,mostly sitting in line waiting to dump debris! Rates have to be higher today! During Katrina,which was mostly water they needed dumps and wreckers to haul away inoperable vehicles! I talked to a towing contractor who spent several months there with  three wreckers paid by the hr! I believe they contract with Fema or the local municipalities! If Harvey is as bad as it seems to be the local contractors won't be able to handle the volume! Opportunity only knocks once! I kicked myself in the butt during Andrew for owning a flatbed not a tandem dump! I made money hauling roof insulation to Miami but could have made ten times as much with a beat up tandem dump or tri axle!

rates now are by the yard. Truck gets measured for cubic yd. capacity and then marked. At dump site, a man in a tower looks your load over and gives his best estimate of actual load by percent.

50 yd truck at 90% =45 yds. with a running rate of about $5.50/yd, that truck just grossed $247.50. Then deduct 10% holdback (normal for any damage you did not fix)  The holdback usually comes about 3 months later AFTER the job is complete

Several things-What is the actual rate? in 2004 with all the storms to Florida, rates were up to $8/yd.  After Katrina, some guys were about $3. This was a problem as it ended up as those multi-level marketing things. And lots of time to get your pay

In 2004, that kind of money was necessary to get trucks as the economy was good. In 2008, after Ike hit texas, economy was not so good so disaster companies offered just enough to get trucks there-$4.50-$5.00/yd

Next item is the experience of the guy in the tower. Bring them coffee and water. They can make ya or break ya

Self loaders are VERY welcome as they don't need other equipment and don't take up more road than needed.

And yes, I have updated with several already

Oh yeah-at the 7pm EDT update-CAT 4

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Hat City so the truck only gets paid when the load gets to the dump site? During Andrew the trucks were backed up beyond the horizon! From the turnpike above Homestead and Cutler ridge you couldn't see the last truck! At every main intersection there was a tire service truck to repair the tires damaged by nails broken glass and assorted debris! So as I understand it how long you sat waiting to unload determined your income! Sounds like the brokers found a way to maximize their income and screw the o/o as usual! We're you in S Florida  during Andrew? Lots of illegal profiteering! One dude brought in a reefer trailer full of bagged ice,at that time a bag of ice was about 1.50 he was charging 20.00! The cops caught him about half empty, made him give away the rest of the load!😁 All the power was off and people's food and meat was spoiling! People were bringing in 53 ft trailers of those cheap k Mart generators, selling them for up to 500.00 each!

Hat City so the truck only gets paid when the load gets to the dump site? During Andrew the trucks were backed up beyond the horizon! From the turnpike above Homestead and Cutler ridge you couldn't see the last truck! At every main intersection there was a tire service truck to repair the tires damaged by nails broken glass and assorted debris! So as I understand it how long you sat waiting to unload determined your income! Sounds like the brokers found a way to maximize their income and screw the o/o as usual! We're you in S Florida  during Andrew? Lots of illegal profiteering! One dude brought in a reefer trailer full of bagged ice,at that time a bag of ice was about 1.50 he was charging 20.00! The cops caught him about half empty, made him give away the rest of the load!😁 All the power was off and people's food and meat was spoiling! People were bringing in 53 ft trailers of those cheap k Mart generators, selling them for up to 500.00 each!

yep. when you dump. 
However, the system is much better organized now.

Most munincipalities have contractors on 5 year plan. Along with the monitoring company.

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Saw they are predicting 50" of rain in some areas...OVER 4 FEET of rain!  I can't even imagine what that would be like.  Buy a swimming pool @ Walmart and set it up in the back yard...if it doesn't blow away, it'll be overflowing by the time the storm is over.  Absolutely crazy...

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

From an emergency services standpoint, at least 27 FEMA USAR teams (or portions of them) are either on the ground in Texas/Louisiana or are on the way. I am pretty sure this is the largest response ever since the creation of the FEMA USAR system.

I was listening to the Houston Fire Dept dispatch and operations channel earlier today around 10am. An engine company was asked to respond to a report of a people on the roof of a structure. The Company Officer replied "We are low on fuel and have been going since 11pm last night can you send anyone else?" The Dispatcher replied "You are the only company available right now on that side of town." A few minutes later the company called in and advised "We can see a family with at least two small children on the roof of a dwelling, the water is rising but we cannot get to them, you need to get us a boat as fast as possible." You could hear the exhaustion and despair in his voice. 

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

I saw in the paper this morning that the storm will dump one million gallons of water for every man, woman, and child in south Texas. Unbelievable!

Prayers and thoughts to the victims and the many first responders and citizens who are risking their lives to help them.

• Like 2

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

The Houston PD reported a line of duty death of a 32 year veteran who drowned while driving to work in his cruiser. The death toll stands at around 30 now, but I would not be surprised if it tops 100 when all is said and done.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!