Sign in to follow this  
ranchhopper

Rare old mack for sale

ranchhopper    942

I was really surprised to see this for auction 123s are rare to begin with but a mack 123 is a rare bird indeed. I wish I had the means to move it these are almost ten feet wide though and driving them can be a challenge.https://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/aucitsrh/?sl=71QSCI17417013

terry    182

Remember these from army days in the late 60's, they were a real horse!    terry:D

HeavyGunner    1,316

Wow that things pretty neat.  I'm assuming it has all Mack running gear? Any clues what engine other than diesel v8?

57 bcr    2,565

One of  those sat out at Maggio's in Rockford  for  years. Don't  know  what  ever  happened  to  it. It was rough from just being  left outside for a  long time. Always  wondered  "why a 903 ?". But after learning how many 903's the government  had in operation  at the time,It answered  my question!  Al  

gearhead204    1,788

our local  vfd had one with  3K gallon tank .......the truck never knew it was there !.....don't miss the 49 mph response speed,  we nick named her Godzilla!  

almost needed a shoehorn in order to put her in the hall !

ranchhopper    942

They used 903s in some of the ten tons and in boats.

41chevy    7,424

They used 903s in some of the ten tons and in boats.

The Bradley, Marine AA7Va1 the MLRS  and M-41 run them too. Pretty universal for U.S and Nato units

terry    182

I ran a rough terrain crane in Viet Nam, had the 903 in the carrier, and a 220 in the crane, we had to change the 903 once, that was a real job!    terry:D Also seen alot of the 10 ton trucks with the 903 engine.

Edited by terry

ranchhopper    942

They sell lots of 903 parts on government surplus sites all new in the box they just sold off a pallet of exhaust manifolds brand new for pennies on the dollar.

BillyT    385

I can't see the photo of the truck but the GM made "deuce and a Halfs" I saw at Ft Benning had 2 cycle Detroit's and I'm assuming Allison automatics. There was a noticeable pause between shifts and the driveline would "ring" as the shift was completed! They all did it, so I don't think it was wear. I was in a quartermaster company so I never got to see under one!