Dual breathers for superliner

The superliner II that was at a company I worked for simply had the stainless breather bracket bolted to the driver side cowl with aid of a stiffener plate on the inside of the cab. it made the kick vent un usable. I have seen some superliners that had that stiffener plate on the passenger side as well.  you will also want to adjust the driver door stop so that the door cant swing into the breather. again the passenger side may already have the limited swing hinge on it.

On 7/15/2017 at 4:43 AM, Lmackattack said:

The superliner II that was at a company I worked for simply had the stainless breather bracket bolted to the driver side cowl with aid of a stiffener plate on the inside of the cab. it made the kick vent un usable. I have seen some superliners that had that stiffener plate on the passenger side as well.  you will also want to adjust the driver door stop so that the door cant swing into the breather. again the passenger side may already have the limited swing hinge on it.

Everything said is spot on. That is exactly how mine is and it was Fab'ed up and looks good with the stainless cleaners. There are no parts at Mack for any of this anymore so make it up as you go. Get some good photos of the set-up and cut and piece the system together. Some cutting, fabrication and welding required. The outside air cleaner do give the Superliner a great look.

• Like 1

Thanks beautiful build I found everything factory on a truck in a junkyard waiting to hear back from. Did you fab the filler panels or they  kw too I need to find the measurement for the panels then every thing else should be a breeze 

Edited by J Peeler

On 7/15/2017 at 4:49 AM, J Peeler said:

Thanks do you have any close up pic of yours. I reckon the frist thing to do would be to get the breathers mounted and it should show where the hood will need to be cut then make a filler panel 

The thing you have to look out for is the clutch cable. The one on my truck is high were as "back in black's" cable is under the crossover tube if I recall. I could have the crossover tube up an inch or two and would help with a clearance problem with my turbo tube. I needed to recess the tube a bit to clear as in the photo. The cut-outs in the hood comes up to the molded fiberglass support then reinforced with a piece of 1/8 stainless plate. The side support/cover the intake runs though are made of 1/8 aluminum plate and bolted to the cowl edge and have a band-iron enforcement behind. the lights look good at night. These are 13 inch Vortex stainless cleaners which look good and work great. No real clearance issues with ether door. The side vents will be inoperable and behind the cleaner mounts. You have to extend the lower cab pins and hood mounts forward.

596e8beeaa5f7_July2017097.thumb.JPG.41944a4852e12e53dfd9ecf4bfa0378e.JPG

596e8bf316456_July2017100.thumb.JPG.9158ca1a7855c135b1193acdb67e7a83.JPG

596e8bf1257f9_July2017098.thumb.JPG.f80b574aa95d346af44cf4c1db22b2f7.JPG

596e8bf42e595_July2017101.thumb.JPG.107a93ae94d13d9b67b10f3b22e5f16f.JPG

596e8bf556e2f_July2017102.thumb.JPG.9d7de8117261b2d4c2318c4a0454d0cc.JPG

July2017 099.JPG

July2017 103.JPG

Thanks for the pics looks good I think I'm going to go with the same breathers and use kw brackets I'm building the motor now then I'm going to start on the breathers and then have it painted if I can ever decide on a color 

On my 92 it came with dual breathers the po changed them out with two nos r model ones the intake conectors have a indent for the cable.  Also if you check out one of my posts from earlierthis year I was tracking downn the missing roller guides which you will need to keep the hood aligned and not rubbing on the filler panels

• Like 1

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

20 hours ago, J Peeler said:

Thanks beautiful build I found everything factory on a truck in a junkyard waiting to hear back from. Did you fab the filler panels or they  kw too I need to find the measurement for the panels then every thing else should be a breeze 

Filler panels where fabed, the KW cleaners work fine, but not the mounts! Can't open the door with the Kw ones, got new mack bands to mount mine, moves them far enough forward to get door open . from there I used KW tubes and a couple odds and ends to angle around clutch cable and connect to turbo, keep in mind this KW donor had a Cat and that was what I put in my Dog.

Thanks I'll check with my Mack dealer see if they can c come up with some does anyone have the part number for the mounts the parts people at my dealership are young and don't try very hard to find anything for you hafe the time I haft to go behind the counter and look it up my self 

Edited by J Peeler

Heres one before they took it off the truck they sent me pictures of them so I could see what I was getting.Good thing is they are giving me the brackets and the bonnets too most want to sell you the unit itself but want to charge extra for the straps and bonnets. I think going with a smaller 11 inch unit helps with door clearance and weight on the cab panel mountings and seeing there is going to be two of them restriction will not be a problem.

thumbnail.jpg

4 minutes ago, BC Mack said:

you just reminded me I saw some air cleaners on kijiji the other day... may be useful to someone

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-heavy-equipment-parts-accessories/winnipeg/air-filter-housings/1268971660?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

and that's in Canadian Pesos

BC Mack

Wow that's a smoking deal there but shipping may be a bit pricy if they will even make the effort to box them up..

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, brutus998 said:

We mount our externals without cutting the hood.  You can hook both up or use just passenger side  and have drivers side for looks.  If you do both this way its tricky with the wiring panel on the firewall.  I can get a pick of it if you want.

aircleaner.JPG

aircleaner1.JPG

Nice work on that set up. I have never seen one done like that before!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Lmackattack said:

Nice work on that set up. I have never seen one done like that before!

Agree.    I'd like to see some more pics of it.  Kinda look like they are mounted like a Pete. 

Edited by Hobert62
  • Like 1
  • Like 1