New Engine or New Truck?

I think you will find it wont unless it has more fuel to make a bigger bang 
As the air is cooled it gets denser yes, but it wont achieve any extra power unless that air can be put to work by burning more fuel 

We all reckon things go better at night as the air cools but I think it mainly has to do with breeze dropping so the wind resistance is a lot lower 

Anyway that's my understanding but I could and most likely do have this all ass about 

Paul

• Like 1

On 7/2/2017 at 7:33 PM, mrsmackpaul said:
I think you will find it wont unless it has more fuel to make a bigger bang 
As the air is cooled it gets denser yes, but it wont achieve any extra power unless that air can be put to work by burning more fuel 

We all reckon things go better at night as the air cools but I think it mainly has to do with breeze dropping so the wind resistance is a lot lower 

Anyway thats my understanding but I could and most likely do have this all ass about 

Paul

Most of you folks down under are all ass about anyhows... You all drive on the wrong side and your toilet water spins backwards.

• Like 1

Engine swapping can be challenging, even within the same family... from the early 70s through the last Mack engine in 2006 Mack added and changed intercoolers, went to a 4 valve per cylinder head, increased displacement to 12 liters, added electronic controls, and then changed everything around again! That said, went to a TDI club Get ToGether yesterday and saw a TDI engine swapped into a Ford Ranger... Lotsa work, but gets 40 MPG on the highway! Not easy, but the guy that did the swap is a Cummins engineer.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought someone mentioned in this conversation that there were some early 07 MP7 engines with no  current emissions.  I looked back and couldn't find it.  I think underdog is right, its pre to the current emissions law (DEF).

I know its stepping out and I'm not 100% on the idea.  I was up for an engine swap cause I know my truck, but buying and older truck and fixing someone elses problems doesn't sound to fun again.  It's hard to find a dump that hasn't been road hard and put up wet..lol    Especially when mack is the only truck in your radar.  I've got to much work lined up and really need something ready to roll.....

On 6/28/2017 at 8:35 AM, Mack Technician said:

Get a 02-07 Mack granite with no EGR or (AI) internal EGR. Do $2,000 worth of injector/manifold/exhaust upgrades. Have a good reliable truck with no EGR/SCR/DOC/DPF headaches. Stay in top of AMI scale or into AI400, AI427 and AI460.

Are you saying the AI400, AI427 and AI460 have no EGR?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Deere Mack said:

Hey guys, I really appreciate everyone's input about the engine swap vs a different truck.  I'm about to talk myself into a newer truck.  Someone tell me why I shouldn't purchase this truck and where should the price be etc. 

https://www.truckpaper.com/listings/trucks/for-sale/19346775/2007-mack-granite-ctp713

Realistically what do you guys think this truck should be priced at?  Also does 193,728 miles and 8240 hours sound right?  Salesman swore up and down those weren't roll over miles

5 hours ago, Deere Mack said:

Realistically what do you guys think this truck should be priced at?  Also does 193,728 miles and 8240 hours sound right?  Salesman swore up and down those weren't roll over miles

must have been a local truck avg. out to 23.5 mph

and no work in winter?

• Like 1

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

i can see that with a county truck, they get more idle time than work time. 

i would steer away from that truck, way too much idle time. 

Edited by tjc transport

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

Can you get the litres of fuel burnt outta the computer? That would clear things up a bit. If they wanna sell it make them jump through some hoops. Get a blow by test done too. 

And a dealer should have a healthy profit margin so I'd definitely be knocking some off the price. 

On 7/14/2017 at 9:48 PM, TeamsterGrrrl said:

Nice truck, but the price is way high. And a "pre-emissions" 2007 E7? I've been hearing  that claim a lot lately, They actually switched over to the MP engines late in 2006 so I doubt many if any pre-2007 emissions E7s were built.

Here are some 2007 AI equipped trucks to chassis check. Note first  year digit. 7M054982 , 7M006892 , 7M005998. Now get ready for a mind blower....2008 CT713 with AI427 engine-ZM006700. I may check this one, pic looks totally legit.

That 2008 with an AI427 may have been for export. Or they could have legally used a left over E7 by balancing it's emissions with credits from cleaner engines. Using old engines for export to markets with weak emissions is common- Had an ex-International and current Cummins engineer help me install a new exhaust system on my old TDI a couple weeks back, they both had stories of new old stock engines that didn't meet current emissions requirements here being put in trucks exported to countries with weak standards or installed in military trucks which are exempt.

12 hours ago, TeamsterGrrrl said:

That 2008 with an AI427 may have been for export. Or they could have legally used a left over E7 by balancing it's emissions with credits from cleaner engines. Using old engines for export to markets with weak emissions is common- Had an ex-International and current Cummins engineer help me install a new exhaust system on my old TDI a couple weeks back, they both had stories of new old stock engines that didn't meet current emissions requirements here being put in trucks exported to countries with weak standards or installed in military trucks which are exempt.

Stands to reason. We have a complete (OEM) emission cancellation retrofit kit, hardware & software, that can be purchased and installed in our Volvo L180H to convert our 13 Liter for sale over seas. Our company has to show destination of foreign purchase, ship information, misc proofs, etc before it can be purchased.