Tell me about early Mack Diesels

As a Mack enthusiast, I have read a lot about Mack and asked questions of people who know much about them. Through out that, much has been said about the Maxidyne , Thermodyne and later engines, but what about early Mack diesel engines?

There are plenty of references of Mack being the first U.S truck maker to offer its own diesel engines in 1938, and about some influenced by French      designs, but not much about how these engines performed or stacked up to other diesel engines at the time. I have seen older LJ era Macks with Cummins but no Mack Diesels in that era trucks.

Were Mack diesels around or widely used in trucks during WWII?

I am sure others would love to hear the Mack experts on here fill in the gaps about this part of Mack's history :)

Edited by Jamaican Bulldog

I think these were the small (475 cubic inch) Scania diesel engines Mack used in their lighter spec trucks that didn't need their larger 675 cubic inch engines in the mid 60s. I also think Mack had their own 'baby' engines before that. I am sure someone will confirm or correct me on that.

In the early days of diesel engines there were many different combustion chamber designs, some good, some not so good. Many engine builders tried many different approaches. Mack did well with the Lanova energy cell, but big improvements were to come. Through a technology sharing agreement with Scania of Sweden, Mack developed the Thermodyne engine which was far more efficient than the Lanova. Mack exchanged bus building information for Scania's combustion chamber knowledge, and the rest is history.

• Like 2

Thanks guys for all  interesting info.

I notice that older Mack models of the era that I have seen had Cummins.

How did the early Mack diesels compared with other makes like Cummins, Detriot etc at the time such as 40s and early 50s?

Did they use other types to supplement their own engines?

Buda diesel engines ranging from 3.5 to 7.7 litres (212 to 468 cu.in.), were available in Mack trucks, in addition to Cummins, from 1936.

During the mid to late 1930s, Buda was a leader in diesel engines and very popular.

Mack's first diesel, the 131 horsepower ED519 incorporating the Lanova combustion chamber design, was launched in 1938. Like Buda and others, Mack Trucks had purchased a technology license from Germany’s Lanova AG, led by the German engineer and Lanova concept inventor Franz Lang.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

Buda diesel engines ranging from 3.5 to 7.7 litres (212 to 468 cu.in.), were available in Mack trucks, in addition to Cummins, from 1936.

During the mid to late 1930s, Buda was a leader in diesel engines and very popular.

Mack's first diesel, the 131 horsepower ED519 incorporating the Lanova combustion chamber design, was launched in 1938. Like Buda and others, Mack Trucks had purchased a technology license from Germany’s Lanova AG, led by the German engineer and Lanova concept inventor Franz Lang.

What ever became of Buda engines? Did they fail to keep up with competition?

I have a END510 lanova diesel. They do have a different sound. I've only had mine running a couple of times. From what I have read they were troublesome engines in thier day often replaced by gas engines or other diesel options. Seems like in the 40s a truck could be ordered with the Mack Lanova diesels or a Cummins. From what I had read Buda diesels used the lanova combustion Chamber and injection design and they were called Buda-lanova diesels. Wiki says Buda was aquired by Allis-Chalmers in 1953. There were quite a few Mack Lanova models including the ENDS672 which were supercharged to 222 h.p installed in CD50T transit buses. 

Here is a video on YouTube of a Mack Lanova running. 

• Like 1

On 6/5/2017 at 8:15 PM, yarnall said:

I hope to have my 1950 LFT with a 672 Lanova at Macungie. If you make it there, you can hear it run. It has a sound like nothing else. Mike. 

I will now be making it to Macungie on Friday and Saturday! What does your truck look like so I can come check it out?

1 hour ago, Jamaican Bulldog said:

I will now be making it to Macungie on Friday and Saturday! What does your truck look like so I can come check it out?

Great. It will be in a row of red, black and cream trucks that say Ralph G Smith Dependable Horse Transportation on them. The F model has a big aluminum horse shoe on the front of it.  It is hard to miss.   Look me up.  Mike.  

• Like 1

• 5 years later...