Ford Flathead Tractors

1 hour ago, h67st said:

Nice! Any idea what the horsepower difference is between stock motor and the V8s? I assume Ford didn't make these tractors stock with the V8.

Depending on what tractor you are starting with, HP would probably be in the 25-45 range.  The 17 stud flathead is 60 HP, 21 stud is 85-125 HP and the Lincoln/truck V8 is 125-150.  So, going with a V8 may double your HP.

Ford didn't make the stock tractors with V8's but they did some engineering with the V8's and there were also independent kits out there to do a tractor engine conversion.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Cool! I see the Doodle Bug was the original Rat Rod.  :)

I bought at Hersey many years ago a conversion kit made in Ohio, to put a Ford or Merc flathead in my Ferguson, just couldn't modify it too much family history.

newkit8a.jpg.015005795230e2d0780452c6dde64d6e.jpg

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Cool! I see the Doodle Bug was the original Rat Rod.

I'll try to find the picture of the Model A my Dad and Grandfather built to pull their home made orchard sprayer. Steel wheels, two transmissions placed back to back for very deep gear reduction, and of course very little original sheet metal. I spent many an hour "driving" the old girl as a kid when it was abandoned by the side of the garden.

The sprayer was pretty neat as well. Built on a 32 Packard chassis carrying a John Bean high pressure pump powered by a 28 Chevy engine supplied by a five hundred gallon wooden tank. They used it right up to when he closed the orchard in the early 60's. I'm sure it made any Packard fan cringe when they spotted those distinctive steel dished wheels on the sprayer.

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

There is no end to the innovation of farmers and truckers! When my dad owned the salvage yard a nearby farmer hired him to convert an ancient crank start tractor to electric start! He drilled out an old car flywheel to mount on the front pulley and built a bracket to hold the starter! I was a little kid but when I became a teenager and learned to work on cars I wondered if that flywheel unbalanced the crankshaft! I'm sure he never had the thing balanced! I guess the thing ran such low rpm it didn't matter!😁

7 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

how cool is that V 12, I cant think of what they are Lincoln or some such thing , there's one a dragster at our local radiator place 1 1/2 hours from the farm and a whole heap of other cool stuff 

Paul 

Lincoln  V-12. An almost bolt in for a flathead Ford or Mercury.  somewhat prone to overheating or at least running very hot.

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE