16 hours ago, james j neiweem said:

How could they have come out with the original cherry picker when they had this in their stable.:(

The Cherry Picker was produced from 1952 thru 1957.  The W was actually produced at the same time from 1953-1958.  The Picker was primarily used for east coast trucking and the W was a compliment to the conventional Mack LTL series truck and primarily used for the west coast.

The H model had a tilt cab for service.  Interestingly, the more modern looking W did NOT have a tilting cab.  The W had a hinged engine hood panel and removable floor panels and seats to take care of maintenance.

I think the W is a great looking dog and am surprised that only 215 were produced.

• Like 2

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 9:11 AM, j hancock said:

The Cherry Picker was produced from 1952 thru 1957.  The W was actually produced at the same time from 1953-1958.  The Picker was primarily used for east coast trucking and the W was a compliment to the conventional Mack LTL series truck and primarily used for the west coast.

The H model had a tilt cab for service.  Interestingly, the more modern looking W did NOT have a tilting cab.  The W had a hinged engine hood panel and removable floor panels and seats to take care of maintenance.

I think the W is a great looking dog and am surprised that only 215 were produced.

The W followed all of the other western COE manufacturers and the did not have tilt cabs. And a common practice was to add a box sleeper to them. The G model was it's replacement and of course it came with a lot of baggage that ended the model way too soon as well. The western F model was the Mack answer I guess to it all. My Dad had both an H model that he ran up until about 66 and then bought a used G model that he ran until 70. An H model in the mid 60's was an outdated rig and a lot of improvements had been made in trucks by then.

• Like 1

I worked on a few trucks that you had to get inside the cab to do motor work--I sure am glad I don't have to do that any more! The tilt cab was great for maintenance that didn't involve radiators or aftercoolers.

I was leased to Washington California Express in the 1980's owned by the late George Appel from Dallas,Penna. One of his original trucks he ran to the coast was a W-71 Mack. He kept a picture of it on his deask and would ask drivers if they knew what it was. I happily acknowledged I knew what it was. Good guy to work for bring in clean delivery receipts and he paid you on the spot.Calex from Hunlock Creek,Penna. was the same. This is when Calex had only 5 or 6 trucks of his own. Now he has hundreds.Times change.