old gmc

carlotpilot

Sweet truck . One piece windshield makes it 1954 or up.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

1955 was a major redesign year for GM, the 1955 Chevrolet cars and 1955 Chevy/GMC trucks featured the wrap around windshield (including other GM products).

1953 truck was the two piece windshield, 1954 was a one piece windshield (one year only) and then the wrap around in 1955.

Nice looking food truck!

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

An ex-fire truck no doubt based on the chrome bumper and the spot lights. These chassis's were very popular for fire apparatus and you still see quite a few of them around.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

6 hours ago, Brocky said:

54 or 55.. by 56 I think(??) GMC had gone over to the wrap around windshield cab like Chevy???

3 hours ago, j hancock said:

1955 was a major redesign year for GM, the 1955 Chevrolet cars and 1955 Chevy/GMC trucks featured the wrap around windshield (including other GM products).

1953 truck was the two piece windshield, 1954 was a one piece windshield (one year only) and then the wrap around in 1955.

Nice looking food truck!

The 1954 design was used as a 1955 model until March as when the wrap around cab was introduced. The early 1955 trucks are easiest to I.D. because GM went to an open drive shaft  in stead of the Torque Tube. Jumper and Son have one I wanted to buy but never got a  price from them.   Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

7 minutes ago, Mike said:

Probably a screaming demon 2 cycle. Most I remember of them were Detroits.

Most of that style Jimmy potato trucks on the North Fork of L.I. where our farm was were all 6-53 Detroits course ours was 302 gassers. Grandma hated diesels, the sound hurt her ears..

• Like 2

P.T.CHESHIRE

We had a guy from my home town that pulled for a local cardboard box company with a GMC equipped with a 3-53. Talk about a unique sound.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

On 4/26/2017 at 0:43 PM, 41chevy said:

The 1954 design was used as a 1955 model until March as when the wrap around cab was introduced. The early 1955 trucks are easiest to I.D. because GM went to an open drive shaft  in stead of the Torque Tube. Jumper and Son have one I wanted to buy but never got a  price from them.   Paul

Paul is correct for the pick up line, but I think for the bigger trucks GM waited until the 56 model year to introduce the new cab.

Brocky

18 hours ago, 41chevy said:

Most of that style Jimmy potato trucks on the North Fork of L.I. where our farm was were all 6-53 Detroits course ours was 302 gassers. Grandma hated diesels, the sound hurt her ears..

I can relate to that about grandma's or aunt's. LOL They had some darn sensitive ears no doubt. My parents hated the smell of diesel. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brocky said:

Paul is correct for the pick up line, but I think for the bigger trucks GM waited until the 56 model year to introduce the new cab.

Correct. 

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 2 weeks later...