Trucker runs off Chesapeake bay bridge

1958 F.W.D.

I've had to park and wait several hours before I could cross before because of the wind. Then they let flatbeds go across, but not vans or high profile vehicles. It's a wonder they were letting trucks cross it yesterday the way the wind was blowing.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Just saw on the news a tractor trailer ran off the Chesapeake bay bridge! Apparently the driver survived the crash and climbed up on the tractor, but drowned when it went under,before help could arrive! Very sad situation! Possibly wind or icy roadway were a factor!

Police say driver error was the cause of an accident that sent a semi over the side of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel Thursday. The truck's driver, Joseph Chen, was rescued from the water by a Navy helicopter but died on the way to the hospital.

Wind had been widely speculated to be the cause of the accident. A storm that moved into the area Thursday morning brought powerful gusts out of the northeast. Chief Edward Spencer, head of the CBBT's police force, said wind can't be ruled out as a factor, but after interviewing witnesses and reconstructing the accident – the bridge has no video cameras along its spans – the preliminary investigation concluded that Chen went off the bridge while trying to pass another semi.

According to police, he was traveling in the right lane of the southbound span, around the 15-mile marker, which is closest to the Eastern Shore side. A car was in the left lane. Another truck was ahead of Chen, in his lane.

“He went to pass the tractor-trailer,” Spencer said. “He cut over in front of passenger car, and once he got over in the left lane, he ran up on curb and through the guard rail.”

http://pilotonline.com/news/local/miles-of-scary-cbbt-is-notorious-among-truckers-but-police/article_01ef06a7-6465-51da-8aa6-770e90535aee.html

The one above was driven by Jerry Chitwood grandson of Joie Chitwood owner of the Chitwood  Auto trill Show...seen below during his drivers test. 

fb55da236ff38c57c3fd4e60f0af5b6e.thumb.jpg.f8d9788cf95e9be3a2774ff40c55c1fd.jpg

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I pulled bullracks for years across Wyoming, the dakotas, Nebraska and Montana and I've seen some horrible winds. Between sweetgrass and Shelby on I15blows multiple trucks over every year. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.