ATCA Macungie newbie questions

Sorry if this has been discussed ad nauseum before but I wasn't finding a lot when I searched.  

After many years of watching from afar, I'm hoping to make a first-time trip to the ATCA national show at Macungie this summer.  Sort of a bucket list trip, you might say.  I've been to several ATHS national conventions over the years (since they rotate locations) but never to Macungie (although back in 1994 I bought an ATCA VHS tape of that years show!).  I've been a old truck fan since I was a teen and Mack has always been a favorite make.  I figured I should probably try to make it to the Macungie show at least once in my life, eh?  I've always wanted to see the Mack museum and plant, too.  I guess I've wanted an old Mack about as long as I can remember and I'm finally semi-actively looking for a Superliner "hobby truck" so I thought the time was right to go check out the Macungie phenomenon.  It would be fun to see some nice old Macks... maybe even some for sale... wink, wink!  But having never been to PA... or even to that part of the country... I was hoping for some pointers.  I know some of you have been through this rodeo before, flying in for the show.  So here are some of my newbie questions.

I presume it's cheapest to fly into Philadelphia, correct?  Or is there an airport I'm overlooking that's in the vicinity but still reasonable to fly into?

How much time should I budget?  Sounds like the big day at the show is Saturday but I suspect I'll want to go Friday, too.  Does anything happen on Sunday?  When do most of the trucks roll in/out?  It would be fun to catch them in action.  

Can I do the museum before the show, like on Wednesday or Thursday?  Or will it be chaos there since it's show week?  How much time should I budget for the museum?  Can you spend time looking through archival materials there?  Or is it mostly just looking at the facility and the few trucks on display?  How about the Allentown plant?  Will it be open for tours in advance of the show on Wed or Thurs?  Or only during the show?  Do I understand correctly that the Allentown plant houses the museum as well?  Is there transportation from Macungie Park to the museum/plant for touring?  

Would any great truck collections like Gary Mahan's happen to be open to visit in the days before the show?  Anything else I should make sure not to miss while I'm out there?

I presume the best way to get around would be a rental car, correct?  Just wondering about the possibility of my wife dropping me at Macungie and then her taking the car back to Philly to play around while I'm at the show.  What do other wives do while you guys are at the show from out of town?  Not sure she could take a whole day of trucks, lol.  Any cool "wife" activities in the area would be most welcome.  Any notable shopping?  I know we both want to see the Mutter Museum!

Thanks for all your input!  Looking forward to it (hopefully)!    

1 hour ago, sodly said:

Sorry if this has been discussed ad nauseum before but I wasn't finding a lot when I searched.  

After many years of watching from afar, I'm hoping to make a first-time trip to the ATCA national show at Macungie this summer.  Sort of a bucket list trip, you might say.  I've been to several ATHS national conventions over the years (since they rotate locations) but never to Macungie (although back in 1994 I bought an ATCA VHS tape of that years show!).  I've been a old truck fan since I was a teen and Mack has always been a favorite make.  I figured I should probably try to make it to the Macungie show at least once in my life, eh?  I've always wanted to see the Mack museum and plant, too.  I guess I've wanted an old Mack about as long as I can remember and I'm finally semi-actively looking for a Superliner "hobby truck" so I thought the time was right to go check out the Macungie phenomenon.  It would be fun to see some nice old Macks... maybe even some for sale... wink, wink!  But having never been to PA... or even to that part of the country... I was hoping for some pointers.  I know some of you have been through this rodeo before, flying in for the show.  So here are some of my newbie questions.

I presume it's cheapest to fly into Philadelphia, correct?  Or is there an airport I'm overlooking that's in the vicinity but still reasonable to fly into?  Check Lehigh Valley Intnl Airport (geographically closest) and Newark, NJ as well. 

How much time should I budget?  Sounds like the big day at the show is Saturday but I suspect I'll want to go Friday, too.  Does anything happen on Sunday?  When do most of the trucks roll in/out?  It would be fun to catch them in action. Friday and especially Saturday are the biggest days of the show. The vast majority of folks pack up and head out starting around 3pm on Saturday, There are very few stragglers on Sunday AM. 

Can I do the museum before the show, like on Wednesday or Thursday? Regular hours Mon/Weds/Fri 10am-4pm Or will it be chaos there since it's show week?  How much time should I budget for the museum? 2hrs minimum  Can you spend time looking through archival materials there? You could probably sneak a look at the collection but pulling individual files or touching is verboten, Or is it mostly just looking at the facility and the few trucks on display?  How about the Allentown plant? You misspelled "The Macungie Plant" which is shut down for the weekend and open for a self-paced walking tour.  Will it be open for tours in advance of the show on Wed or Thurs? Contact them directly, they do offer tours of the plant to small groups with appointments but they will probably tell you to come Sat.  Or only during the show?  Do I understand correctly that the Allentown plant houses the museum as well?  Is there transportation from Macungie Park to the museum/plant for touring?  The Macungie Assembly Plant and the Customer Service Center (formerly Mack Research/Development/Engineering, where the Museum is located) are two separate facilities. Mack Trucks does sponsor tour bus service from Macungie Memorial Park to the Plant (5 minutes from the show.) 

Would any great truck collections like Gary Mahan's happen to be open to visit in the days before the show?  Anything else I should make sure not to miss while I'm out there? I believe that the Gary Mahan and possibly the John Haines IV collections may be open by invitation, check with those individuals, 

I presume the best way to get around would be a rental car, correct?  Just wondering about the possibility of my wife dropping me at Macungie and then her taking the car back to Philly to play around while I'm at the show.  What do other wives do while you guys are at the show from out of town?  Not sure she could take a whole day of trucks, lol.  Any cool "wife" activities in the area would be most welcome.  Any notable shopping?  I know we both want to see the Mutter Museum! Center City Philly is roughly 60 miles from Macungie, and an hour plus, depending on traffic. There are many women-friendly things to do in the close-by Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton Pa area. and suggest you research those places. But to go to Philly and back......In my mind thats a long way but to each his own. 

Thanks for all your input!  Looking forward to it (hopefully)!    

Edited by 1958 F.W.D.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Sodley

FWD answered most of your questions, But a lot of your planning will depend on the amount of time you have available to spend. This can be a fantastic family vacation. Depending on where you are flying from, you will have to see what direct flights come into ABE (Leigh Intl) or whether you will have to use Philly or Newark to make good connections without plane changes. 

In addition the Mack museum there is also the America on Wheels (1/2 day) museum, I think partly supported or started by the Mario Andretti family, which has everything from a horse and buggy to recent top dollar super sports cars. Including many Macks: UPS F model and pup trlr w/ seats and video player, R model simulator (that it took my daughter a 1/2 hour to get the grand kids out of), Mack's 1910 Brockway, Cut aways of engine, tranny, and rears, one room as a restoration shop, and other stuff.

As well as the Philly Historic area, for the wife 30-45 minutes to Reading PA is one of the first and largest outlet malls in the old Vanity Fair clothing plant. An hour to the north in Scranton is the Steamtown Railroad museum. An hour to the west is the Lancaster county Pennsylvania Dutch Amish area where they still farm and travel with horses, steam railroad, ETC, plan on a whole day to see and do. Another hour to the west is the Gettysburg National Battlefield Park and Eisenhower home and farm, again plan on a minimum of 1/2 day. If you stop and read all the monuments make it 3 days!!! 

My best Advice is to pull up the PA tourist info site and request their info package, and play on Google!!

Brocky

I assume you belong to ATCA? If so the latest Double Clutch has a list of hotels for the show. Make sure you sign up for the Friday night cook out as well.

Philly is a wonderful city to visit and if I were coming from a long distance I'd try to plan a couple of days before or after  the show to do the tourist type stuff in the city. As for keeping the ladies amused during the show she may enjoy visiting Lancaster County and the Amish community that is there. It is about an hours drive south of Macungie.

There is a really good farmer's market at the Allentown Fair grounds that carries all sorts of fresh baked goods and has several small restaurants that are quite good. That will keep her busy for a couple of hours and is open on Saturday. 

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Thanks for the help, guys.  Ok, still trying to wrap my head around the various Mack facilities.  Am i understanding correctly that the plant where they build trucks is in Macungie?  And also the museum?  Then what is in Allentown?  Anything to see there?  Kinda hate to waste any of Friday or Saturday (prime show time) for a multi-hour tour of the museum/plant.  Wish I could do that on Thursday instead.  Hmmm.  

I presume there is plenty of car parking at the show, right?    

Lets try this

The Mack Plant is in Macungie about a mile from the show with a shuttle bus running continuously all day. The Mack Museum and Customer center is in Allentown only about 10 miles from the show, the America on Wheels museum is about another 3 miles toward downtown.

As I said before all your plans will depend on how much time you can allot to the whole vacation trip.

Car parking can get tight.. The volunteer Fire Police and the Boy Scouts each have a lot and a few private ones. 

Edited by Brocky

Brocky

Thanks for the clarification, Brocky.  My schedule is flexible but I need to start making reservations and firm up my plans.  I was hoping to fly into Philly on Wed around noon and leave Sunday morning.  That leaves me half a day on Wed and all of Thurs, Fri and Sat to partake.  I hope that's enough time to take it all in.  Or maybe it's too much time.  I don't know.  At any rate, I was really hoping to hit the museum and factory on Thursday but it sounds like that's a no-go.  Maybe I'll have to rush and do it Wed afternoon as soon as I get there.  

How would you guys compare the size of the Macungie show to an ATHS national convention?  I know it's hard to take in an ATHS national show in one day.  Two days is nice.  Is there an admission charge for ATCA members?  I'm sure I'll think of more questions.  Thanks!  

Arrived Thursday afternoon last year.We did the museum on our own last year,on Fri.before the Sat. rush for the plant/museum tours. Did the show on Fri., and the show /plant tour on Sat.I think our crew was satisfied,they had seen it all. Being your first time out there,it wouldn't hurt to hit the museum on that Wed. or Thurs. And there is no charge,except for the parking just outside the park (@ the show). Bring rain gear (as it has been known to rain a time or two)! Just sayin'.   Al

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

You can take in the Macungie show in one day. I wouldn't say the same is true for past ATHS national meets, especially the York, PA show.

Last year was my first year doing the self guided factory tour. I thought it was great but the bus transportation left much to be desired especially leaving the factory. There was a line of people from the gift shop to the parking lot (85+) waiting to return to the park. Bus after empty bus drove by us, burning in the hot June sun, because they were a shuttle from the employee parking lot to the main door. Meanwhile, the park bus was nowhere to be seen. After 45 minutes of this routine people were getting pissed. As it turns out the park shuttle broke down. I don't know why the employee parking lot shuttle needed two buses when it's a stone throws from the front door but the park shuttle had one. 

That's my rant for the day. ;)

• Like 1

I do not know how long it will take to do the Philly historical / tourist sights, but would plan on doing them Wed PM / Thurs AM while you are down there. Like Al said I would plan on doing the Mack Museum like Fri AM, (would have to check to see if they are open on Thurs??), (2 hours)between the motel and the show, this is what I did. I have not done the factory tour and always have moved around in my own wheels not the tour buses. Check out the hours of the America on Wheels to fit it in (another 2 hr min), I did it with family on the Fri after Thanksgiving. If you plan on doing any of the Amish country / Gettysburg Park just push your outbound flight back a couple of days and do them after the show.

Truck wise the show is about 2/3 to 3/4 the size of the recent ATHS shows, land walking about 1/2 the size (no golf cart rental). The majority of the trucks arrive on Thurs, but some continue to arrive thru Sat AM and about 3-4 PM Sat the outbound procession starts. How long it will take you to see the trucks will all depend on how close you inspect them and most importantly how much you BS with the owners. Being new and not knowing people by sight it might not hurt to wear a name tag from your chapter or old ATHS show. How much time you spend in the flea market area is up to you, sorta hard to carry parts home on the plane!! Remember the BMT group photo is usually at Noon Sat at the Watts tent. There are a lot of shaded picnic tables near the food court area to sit and rest and BS!! There is also the Thurs night get together at the Tilted Kilt.

There is no spectator admission charge but the parking is about $5/day. Keep asking questions and we will keep trying to answer them..

Brocky

Sodley, another thing to consider, Is this going to be a "once in a lifetime" vacation trip for you and your WIFE??? If so Google "Pennsylvania Tourist Info" and have the PA State Tourist people send you an info package, which usually includes a good state road map. I did this for all the Northern Plains and Pacific Northwest states before we drove from South Carolina to the Yakima Wash show in 2012. Then let her pick out some things she wants to see and do. Then wrap the Macungie show into the middle of them.

I know this can become expensive.. I had said Pacific Northwest and back home, BUT my wife said we were going to make a detour on the way home by way of Fairbanks Alaska!!!

Brocky

2 hours ago, 66dc75 said:

Last year on the shuttle bus to the plant, the Mack rep told us that they were not going to have plant tours for the next 3 years due to refitting for the new cabs.

Anybody know if there is any truth to this?

I have not heard this, I will double check with Doug Maney this weekend at the Museum Work Day.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Tell me more about the "self-guided" factory tour.  Is the factory operational during the tour?  I presume it is.  About how long does that take?  Wondering if I could do the museum and factory tour Friday morning and then the show Friday afternoon and Saturday.  

Factory is shut down that day. they have the assembly line roped off and you walk along the line on one side, then up the other side. It has become more abbreviated over the years, you used to come in at the loading docks where the parts come in and could go all the way to the other end of the plant. Now the tour is just the center section of the factory. The Mack museum used to be located in a fenced off area inside the plant next to the gift shop which was convenient. A couple of years they had new cl's that you could take for a test drive in the parking lot if you had a CDL.

It seems management must have hired Disney execs as now you have to exjt thru the gift shop to get to the shuttle buses.

Ok, so the Mack plant is where they build trucks is in Macungie.  This is the one I'd like to tour (I think).  Does anyone know the days/hours the factory tour is open?  I'd much rather see the factory in motion than shut down... if that's even possible.

Then what exactly is the "Customer Center" in Allentown, where the museum is?  What goes on there?  Sorry, still trying to figure this all out.

35 minutes ago, sodly said:

Ok, so the Mack plant is where they build trucks is in Macungie.  This is the one I'd like to tour (I think).  Does anyone know the days/hours the factory tour is open?  I'd much rather see the factory in motion than shut down... if that's even possible.

Then what exactly is the "Customer Center" in Allentown, where the museum is?  What goes on there?  Sorry, still trying to figure this all out.

Yes, the Customer Center is the location of the Mack Museum. It also home to the old test grounds of Mack Trucks and at one point was a customization center of some sort. Some of that activity may still go one there. Awesome place to check out. Totally worth the visit.

The customer service center serves as the "finishing" area for any customers who want to add special features to their purchase that are not done on the assembly line at Macungie. The last time I went to the open house they were working in this area and you could walk through to check it out. I don't know if that is still the case.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

• 4 months later...

You are welcome to come see my trucks.  We have about 50 trucks of various makes and conditions near Boyertown.  That is 18 miles south of Macungie. PM me if you want to come.  I will give you my address and number.  The invitation is open to anyone else too.  I will be at the show all day Friday and Saturday and shuttling trucks Thursday and Sunday.  The Boyertown Museum of Historic Vehicles is also nice to tour. It takes about 2 hours to see everything.   http://boyertownmuseum.org/.        Mike. 

Edited by yarnall
  • Like 1