Volvo Mack commonality

james j neiweem

14 hours ago, james j neiweem said:

Why do we jump all over Mack for being a Volvo with a different cab and hood. Paccar has been doing this for years with Pete and KW. For now anyway you can still get Mack transmissions/rears and springs.:rolleyes:

The former Mack Trucks was a "vertically integrated" truck manufacturer.

Paccar's truck units, Kenworth and Peterbilt, have always produced "assembled trucks", purchasing most components from outside vendors.

There's no comparison.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, kscarbel2 said:
The former Mack Trucks was a "vertically integrated" truck manufacturer.

Paccar's truck units, Kenworth and Peterbilt, have always produced assembled trucks, purchasing components from outside vendors.

There's no comparison.

Interesting how "vertical integration" is the latest selling point for truck makers, mainly predetermined by the complexity of electronics and emissions technology. Mack had it down pat 60 years ago with the Maxidyne/Maxitorque drivetrain.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Swishy said:

Did they look like this n

That's an air-cooled Deutz-powered model C11664DD. The Deutz V-8 engine model is BF8L513, and it is still available from Deutz as a factory Xchange unit.

Today's 15.9-liter Deutz BF8M1015 V-8, rated up to 600 horsepower, is quite a powerhouse.

Not a Deutz-powered unit, but this one is absolutely beautiful..........http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/3885-1997-diamond-reo-truck/

Having never heard of Deutz engines in anything but generators, compressors ,etc I googled them and found a pictorial of one torn down that a guy was rebuilding! For a truck! Very interesting design,supposedly bulletproof if you keep the dirt and debris out of the cooling fan and related components.I noted that Diamond Reo speed them on heavy vocational trucks,a testimony to their reliability!

3 hours ago, BillyT said:

Having never heard of Deutz engines in anything but generators, compressors ,etc I googled them and found a pictorial of one torn down that a guy was rebuilding! For a truck! Very interesting design,supposedly bulletproof if you keep the dirt and debris out of the cooling fan and related components.I noted that Diamond Reo speed them on heavy vocational trucks,a testimony to their reliability!

Deutz produced trucks. With their air-cooled engines in them.

• Like 2

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Thanks Vlad, that's interesting! My best friend and former trucking agent says he has seen a late 80s GMC 7000 with a Dietz engine,also a F350 Ford Chassis with one at the dealer.They apparently offered them in several medium duty American trucks in the 80s.

Couldn't help but notice the resemblance in design to the corvair and VW flat four and six engines and The Continental aircraft engines they use in Florida on airboats!

A second cousin of mine had a Deutz Allis front wheel assist.  It was air cooled of course and could drag a chisel plow around in the hottest summer weather without breaking a sweat.  Our Deeres struggled in the same heat.  My Grandpa on the other side of my family  ran 2 smaller Deutzs as hay tractors.  two to three hundred hour oil changes, vs 100 hr or less for deeres and cases.  That same front wheel assist Deutz is still in the family, different second cousin.:rolleyes:  

Belarus was a Russian or Ukranian tractor.  They were a simple tractor but not the most durable things.  They are not related to Deutz. 

• Like 2