1997 Diamond Reo Truck

Cheito1983

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
There was a guy around here that was running a Diamond Reo dump truck with that cab & hood style and believe it or not, the truck had an air cooled Deutz diesel engine.

there is a combination I would like to have Duetz Air Cooled inline six or v8 in a on road application

Munzo Jr. :

Very nice Diamond Reo. You have really taken good care of it. Good to see it still working.

A truck with a Deutz is a very rare find. Would ove to see one up close but I believe only Diamond Reo and Marmon used those engines. And finding one of those trucks is almost impossible to begin with.

Here is a picture of one:

post-314-1220217173_thumb.jpg

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

• 1 month later...

This reo looks to me like one of those canadian-built trucks like pacific that if just a fusion of a bunch of other parts......the cab is definately an early nineties western star cab and the hood looks like a modified T-800 hood. I have see pictures of thes late model duamond reo's before...not sure who was making them, but they certainly aren't around a lot, and definately not their own manufacturing entity like any of the big truck brands.....

wes

• 1 month later...

If it is was built in 1996 it was built by Superior Coach. If it was made in 1997, it's a T-Line...a bunch of guys who worked for DR Giant (Osterlund) who have 3 stock model T-lines and custom build T-Lines to owner specs. They also own all the old DR records and will research your truck for a fee. They also rebuild any DR made since 1950. website is:www.t-linetrucks.com

PS they call 'em T-Lines because of prior lawsuits over the name Diamond T & Diamond Reo, as they have been built by 3-5 different companies since White.

Jules

This reo looks to me like one of those canadian-built trucks like pacific that if just a fusion of a bunch of other parts......the cab is definately an early nineties western star cab and the hood looks like a modified T-800 hood. I have see pictures of thes late model duamond reo's before...not sure who was making them, but they certainly aren't around a lot, and definately not their own manufacturing entity like any of the big truck brands.....

wes

• 2 months later...

Thats a great looking truck. I own a '79 C16664DB concrete mixer. The later sloped hood isn't the same as the ones on the Deutz trucks - that hood was much more aggressively sloped.

If you wanted to see a really strange-looking truck, find the "2WMX" - it was a mixer, with the Deutz engine, and a set of truck controls in back, so that it could be driven on site like a front-discharge truck. I can't remember who they developed the mixer with. I think there is info in the Herman Sass book.

• Like 1

The last of the Diamond Reos were being built at the Harrisburg location along rt 322 in 1997. The New Diamond T or Superior or what is now called the T-line was seperate from Diamond Reo at that time. These were the last of the Diamond Reo Trucks built. The hood and everything was their own design, the truck was not pieced together with other manufacturers parts.

Interested in Old Trucks? Check out:

www.antiquetruckclubofamerica.org

There was a guy around here that was running a Diamond Reo dump truck with that cab & hood style and believe it or not, the truck had an air cooled Deutz diesel engine.

Do you know if it is still around??? Man, I would love to have a photo sent to me for a mate who is into the old Magirus Deutz brand in the UK!

If you can find it, get me a couple of clear 3/4 front shots and a shot with the hood tilted and I will forward them to Roland for his website!

Joe

There was a one-page article in the January 2009 Construction Equipment magazine about the 'new' T-Line trucks. These appear to be the same trucks that were marketed as Diamond-T's in the late '90s, with updated engines. Article says they are also handling Diamond Reo parts - must have all of the old records from the Harrisburg plant, which they are operating in. The new trucks have the S-line Navistar cab, rather than the Autocar cab.

There was a one-page article in the January 2009 Construction Equipment magazine about the 'new' T-Line trucks. These appear to be the same trucks that were marketed as Diamond-T's in the late '90s, with updated engines. Article says they are also handling Diamond Reo parts - must have all of the old records from the Harrisburg plant, which they are operating in. The new trucks have the S-line Navistar cab, rather than the Autocar cab.

Can you find me a link to that please. I would really like to read that.

100_0406.jpg100_0301.jpg

My Facebook.

Feel free to add me as a friend. Just tell me your from BMT.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

nice looking reo, though i thought diamond reo giants made by osterland ended in 1992? here's my 1987 reo giant with deutz engine i still haul logs with.no big powerhouse but gets the job done. on you truck a man in duncannon,pa. has the molds to make your style of hood.

post-6650-054561300 1281746042_thumb.jpg

post-6650-033626400 1281746081_thumb.jpg

My 1997 Diamond Reo Truck have a N14 525+ engine, RTLO 18718B transmission and 46,000 pound hendrickson suspension with 4:89 ratio...

i can remember seeing a picture of this truck years ago at a show. it was parked next to a very nicely restored 361 brockway with lots of chrome. both are very nice trucks.

gg2

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.