Bio Fuel approved engine

fjh

Developed in the 1890s by inventor Rudolph Diesel, Early experimenters on vegetable oil fuels included the French government and Dr. Diesel himself, who envisioned that pure vegetable oils could power early diesel engines for agriculture in remote areas of the world, where petroleum was not available at the time. Diesels first prototype ran on peanut oil.

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

19 hours ago, m16ty said:

Just about any diesel engine will run fine on veggy oil biofuel if it's refined good. At least the old ones will, I don't know about the newer ones. 

I know a guy that experimented with refining animal fats in a Dodge Cummins with bad results. 

Just about any of these biofuels aren't viable without heavy government subsidies. They are getting better but they aren't there yet. 

The county where I live in tried running biodiesel in a new Valtra tractor and they ended up losing the engine. One of the guys that works up there told me that the dealership said it was the biodiesel that killed the engine. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

On 8/15/2016 at 10:24 PM, m16ty said:

Just about any diesel engine will run fine on veggy oil biofuel if it's refined good. At least the old ones will, I don't know about the newer ones. 

I know a guy that experimented with refining animal fats in a Dodge Cummins with bad results. 

Just about any of these biofuels aren't viable without heavy government subsidies. They are getting better but they aren't there yet. 

animal fats is what has given everyone  a  bad experiance with bio fuel   its fine in summer but once it gets be low 50f bad things happen.  the fuel that was made from beans, rape , or corn is just as good  or better than ULSD

U1st a few comments then a few questions! Even if they(whoever they are) perfect bio fuel,or biodiesel, which I'm pretty sure they have,statistically it would take every inch of arable land in America to grow enough product to fuel all the vehicles in America.consequently the land used for fuel competes with the land used for food! Part of the answer lies in using the waste products from agriculture to produce biofuel. Corn,soybeans,and sugar cane, are three crops that make good biofuel (the actual crop,not it's byproducts)Perhaps if we eat less refined sugar we could use the excess sugar grown for biofuel lol I'm not a tree hugger or a knee jerk liberal,but you'd have to be a drooling cretin to not see how were f.....g up the earth! Ok now to the military multi fuel trucks.We're they basically a diesel that could run on most petroleum based fuels?,such as kerosene,jet fuel filtered cooking oil etc?I've seen them when I was in the army,but never worked on one.Do they automatically  compensate for the octane of the fuel?.is there an adjustment on the injector pump for each grade of fuel? Maybe one of you worked in the motor pool. There was a teenager who converted an old Mercedes diesel sedan to run on used cooking oil,drove coast to coast on free used cooking oil. One of the problems as someone mentioned is the fat clogs up the system and freezes in winter.Just like the wax that gives #2diesel it's power in winter.Another problem is used cooking oil isn't free anymore.McDonald's claims to be using recycled cooking oil to power part of it's truck fleet.I see this as a big b.s. political move to promote sales,I don't trust corporate America or the bought and sold legislators that run America,but I trust you guys(and gals,sorry teamster grrrrl) gimme some input on this subject!

5 hours ago, bts-4120 said:

animal fats is what has given everyone  a  bad experiance with bio fuel   its fine in summer but once it gets be low 50f bad things happen.  the fuel that was made from beans, rape , or corn is just as good  or better than ULSD

It was biodiesel from a subsidized crop. Can't remember if it canola or camomile, but it's pressed here in he county at he subsidized plant. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

The military multi fuel does have what they call a "fuel density compensator" that adjust for the viscosity of the fuel. It's not needed to still be a multi fuel though, the power will just be different with different fuels without it. The multi fuel capability has mainly to do with the injector and combustion chamber design. I think they run a 22:1 compression.

They will run on almost anything but still run best on straight diesel. I know I've run a diesel fuel/ used engine oil mix in mine and it didn't run very well. It ran but was harder starting, smoked a lot, and just ran rough. The military advises to only use straight gasoline in emergencies.

On 8/20/2016 at 8:22 PM, HeavyGunner said:

It was biodiesel from a subsidized crop. Can't remember if it canola or camomile, but it's pressed here in he county at he subsidized plant. 

thats interesting  I have seen fuel pumps and injectors fail prematurely due to high moisture in  bio that was stored over winter.   It doesn't have a long shelf life at 99%.  It a shame were not running close to a  b50 blend in the summer months  and a 10 to 20 in the winter

On August 21, 2016 at 11:43 PM, kscarbel2 said:

The LDS427, LD465 and LDT465 were intended to run ordinarily on diesel. In an "emergency", they could run on AVGAS, gasoline, heating oil, jet fuel (JP7, JP8) and kerosene.

Those American Bosch rotary fuel pumps never got along with me.

The military uses JP-8 jet fuel in just about all it's diesel vehicles. It's pretty much just a better refined grade of diesel and they use it for everything to keep from having to have two separate fuels on hand. 

• Like 1

On August 20, 2016 at 7:05 PM, Mackpro said:

As working for a dealership , we do good just to keep these new engines running on good diesel fuel without derateing over DEF issues ! Please don't screw up what little sanity I have left!!! 

Amen

59 minutes ago, m16ty said:

Heard from a guy the other day that accidentally put a little diesel into the DEF tank and ran the truck. That little screw up cost $6,000 to get fixed. 

Yup warrenty don't pay for

stupidity  def in the fuel is expensive as well