Jump to content

5 speed to 10 speed


keg1
 Share

Recommended Posts

i have an 85 r model with a 5 speed and i bought an 84 mh with a 10 speed and was wondering if the back section of the 10 speed would just bolt to the 5 speed and if so is there much to it or would it be easier to change trans. I thought maybe it would be easier than pulling trans. out of both trucks. Never had a trans apart so not sure whats involved.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, keg1 said:

i have an 85 r model with a 5 speed and i bought an 84 mh with a 10 speed and was wondering if the back section of the 10 speed would just bolt to the 5 speed and if so is there much to it or would it be easier to change trans. I thought maybe it would be easier than pulling trans. out of both trucks. Never had a trans apart so not sure whats involved.

don`t think either trans is a 2 box setup

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, fjh said:

Can't be done find a fuller rto for it you'll thank your self

Do you mean i can't put the back of the 10 on the 5 or that i can't put the 10 in it. I just bought a MH with the 10 hoping i could use it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A Maxidyne doesn't need 10, 13 or more gears- The engine has a power band from 1200 to 2100 RPM or 1000 to 1800 RPM. Within that powerband the engine will put out over 90% of rated power, even lugged down or revved up against the governor. So swapping in a gearbox with more gears is just wasting your time and money>

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, keg1 said:

Do you mean i can't put the back of the 10 on the 5 or that i can't put the 10 in it. I just bought a MH with the 10 hoping i could use it.

you can use the 10 or the five you can`t make 1out of the two -  2 totaly different transmissions

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 1965 said:

I thought from reading posts that if you changed from a 5spd to a multi shift trans you needed to change injection pump to get right performance out of engine 

That is true but when I posted I was thinking he had a bad trans and did not give him sound advice as Teamstergrrrl did.Like she said why change it anyway.run it for awhile if it good and you will get use to it.On a 200 mile trip flat or hills the 5 speed will save you some time saying you don't recalubrate the governor on the pump.But If your 5 spped is bad a 10 speed will work but you will be geared same on top end.

glenn akers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, TeamsterGrrrl said:

A Maxidyne doesn't need 10, 13 or more gears- The engine has a power band from 1200 to 2100 RPM or 1000 to 1800 RPM. Within that powerband the engine will put out over 90% of rated power, even lugged down or revved up against the governor. So swapping in a gearbox with more gears is just wasting your time and money>

Its a 250 Econodyne if that matters. I had 237 with a 5 speed before but on this one you have to let it die way down to shift and then its dead trying to pick it back up and that was bobtailing so i don't know what its going to be like loaded. It only runs up to around 1700 rpm. I had an Econodyne 350 in my 89 and it ran 2100.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, keg1 said:

Pretty rough. Just bought it for parts mainly

parts and pieces is what I was thinking of. if you want to part with any of it let me know . I don`t know at the minute what all i`m looking for but like to know  where some are

Edited by carlotpilot
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, carlotpilot said:

parts and pieces is what I was thinking of. if you want to part with any of it let me know . I don`t know at the minute what all i`m looking for but like to know  where some are

Will do. Bought it mainly for spare motor, trans, rears and anything else that might work on my r or superliner.

IMG_0114.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Will Keg's Mack 250hp / Mack 5 speed retro fit into a B Model? If so, someone on the BMT Forum may be able to make a deal. Then I would put an E-6 350 / Fuller RR 9 speed combo into the R Model.  Pending the budget of course. I drove that set up running local NJ/PA in the early 2000's and it worked well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, tg144 said:

Will Keg's Mack 250hp / Mack 5 speed retro fit into a B Model? If so, someone on the BMT Forum may be able to make a deal. Then I would put an E-6 350 / Fuller RR 9 speed combo into the R Model.  Pending the budget of course. I drove that set up running local NJ/PA in the early 2000's and it worked well.

with a cutting torch a welder and two big hammers you can make anything fit:D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TeamsterGrrrl said:

OK, sounds like a previous owner already screwed it up by swapping in a 250 Econodyne which needs at least a 9 speed transmission... Sounds like a parts truck!

Why would it be a parts truck? I have a 350 if I need it and I have a 10 speed so what's the problem in swapping them. Maybe where your from a good solid r model is easy to come by but around here they're not. I guess I didn't mention the 250 is an 87. I was told it was a 300 when I bought it but it didn't seem right on the way home. My bad for not looking at engine tag before I bought it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, carlotpilot said:

does`nt look all that bad

It looks better I the picture than in person. Frame is spread pretty bad under fifth wheel. The cab would need a lot of work. Everything under cab is rusty.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You have the entire running gear so I'd say swap it in, truck is well worth the time and effort in my eyes.   Paul

  • Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

 “Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...