B-75/ end711 questions

jimtruck

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and new to Mack trucks. A 1964 B-75 recently found home in my barn, and I'm in the process of getting it running. My plan is to fix the truck up and use it to haul around the miscellaneous equipment that I come across. Its not going to see everyday use by any means, but I would like to be able to get it out and use it like it was intended to.

The truck is equipped with a ENDL 711 with the added turbo and the transmission is a triplex. This engine has the heads with the large bolt (I think its 3/4) on the drivers side front and rear corner of the head.

It seems that everywhere I look, there is talk about headgasket issues with this engine. I havent got it running yet ( injection pump problems) but if it runs good, I'd like to keep it in the truck. My question is, is there anything I can do to prolong the life of my headgaskets? With the triplex, I'm guessing that I wont have any trouble keeping my rpms up to avoid lugging. Are these gaskets failing due to excessive heat? Do the head/block deck have warping issues? Am I going to need to keep a spare set of gaskets in the passenger's seat?

As I said, I'm new to Macks so forgive me for any dumb questions. This forum is a wealth of information and I'm very happy to have found it.

Thanks for the help,

Jim

I'll try and post pictures later today.

What if I were to drill a few holes in the thermostat or just remove it all together to keep a constant flow of coolant through the heads? Ive done that on a few old tractors, but this is a bit different than a Farmall H!!

Thanks for your replies,

Jim

2 minutes ago, jimtruck said:

I'll try and post pictures later today.

What if I were to drill a few holes in the thermostat or just remove it all together to keep a constant flow of coolant through the heads? Ive done that on a few old tractors, but this is a bit different than a Farmall H!!

Thanks for your replies,

Jim

If your thermostat is working why bypass it? A diesel runs better the warmer you can run it.   Also I ran a 711 with a turbo fot ten years, think I might have put head gaskets on it twice, and that was a truck that was working every day in that ten years.   terry

Thanks for the quick replies!

I just didn't know if the head gaskets could possably be failing due to lack of coolant flow. I'll just have to run it and see what happens- I doubt that I'll work it hard enough to cause it any problems. I just like to know a machine's strengths and weaknesses before I go about using/working on it.

Thanks,

Jim

Nice find.  When you get it running, I would just run it and enjoy it.  Granted mine is a 673, but I lost two head bolts in 15 yrs or running it all summer pulling my race trailer around 3 states.  It always got me home, even it was "leaking" a bit.  They are pretty sturdy engines, even if they have a few weak points.   They likely will always get you back home.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"