Clutch Brake

Can you use a torch on a 8 speed to cut the clutch brake out or is there a seal that will get damaged on the input shaft to the tranny?

I bought another truck and just about had to shut it off at alight to get it to go into gear.  Pictures to come still cleaning it up.  

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

I messed with it today and adjusted it seems to be okay for now.  I set it for 10 thousands at full pedal and it is just about a hair or less more than 1/2" when released.  On the clutch adjustment bolt it was way out and there was another threaded portion on the other side that he jammed an undersized both into.  I am not sure if there is anything that goes in the threaded portion on the top side so I called Mack to see and if so I will order the bolt.  I think I will need to adjust the linkage as there is not a lot of free play and it got dark. 

Robert

I had to redo the AUX trans linkage and while I was under there I checked the measurements again, then drove it around a little and the clutch brake is working fine.  I have not adjusted the clutch it self as it seems to be working fine but does not release until the pedal is almost all the way up.  There is no free play would that be a cable adjustment or the actual clutch itself?  My service manual only goes to 1980 and the it looks like a different setup than what it shows in the manual. 

Robert

1--linkage adjustment

2--Clutch adjustment at/on the clutch- Normally if its an easy pedal it has the 5/8 bolt head.  Hold the clutch pedal down, push the 5/8 bolt head in and turn right  "tighten" the bolt.  This will add freeplay.  Turning the bolt left or "loosen" will take freeplay away.   Make sure the bolt springs back out or it will turn while the engine runs.   This is what you need to do to add freeplay.  

If its a Solo clutch, its self adjusting.  This style has the wear indicator.  Basically its says new and replace,  the indicator moves as it wears.  

I normally go from the inside clutch adjustment, then outside linkage adjustment.  Some people do the opposite.