First Mack with a Cat motor

I wonder if Mack sold them trucks without engines or if Cat gutted them for the repower?

Neat article!

Maybe did war duty as factory hacks for MACK or Cat.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I wondered the same thing Mike. I would think the trucks were purchased as complete trucks and repowered. It would be interesting to see who purchased the trucks initially. Initially I wondered why Mack Trucks were chosen then I figured that Mack was a company that didn't have ties to any of Caterpillars competitors in other markets. International and Ford had tractors of their own and some of the other manufactures had other connections. I would like to look into this deal more. It would be fantastic to have a serial number or two.

Interested in Old Trucks? Check out:

www.antiquetruckclubofamerica.org

I wondered the same thing Mike. I would think the trucks were purchased as complete trucks and repowered. It would be interesting to see who purchased the trucks initially. Initially I wondered why Mack Trucks were chosen then I figured that Mack was a company that didn't have ties to any of Caterpillars competitors in other markets. International and Ford had tractors of their own and some of the other manufactures had other connections. I would like to look into this deal more. It would be fantastic to have a serial number or two.

might be able to run that license plate # on the E and get a serial #

Since I got my last Acmoc issue and read the article I actually have decided to repower My E model with a one of these engines(the D312 which is a 4 cylinder version of the D468) that I've had for a few years. I think it would be a great project because the motor in my E is not original and is full of water. The D468 is the same basic engine(the D4600) as the Cat D6 dozer, No. 12 grader, and DW10 scraper of the time. The D312 was the same basic engine(the D4400) as the Cat D4 dozer and No. 112 grader of the time.

Thanks, Josh

• Like 1

What was the weight on the D468? 1500 / 1800 pounds?

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I figured about a ton.

There are very small photos of the trucks in the Road Builders Expo for 1940 in the Cat archives. here is the blurb on it

1940 National Road Show, sponsored by the American Road Builders’ Association, Cleveland, Ohio, January 29 – February 2, 1940

Caterpillar’s 1940 exhibit included 54 separate displays covering 20,000 square feet of floor space. Caterpillar engines used to power the products of many other manufacturers were displayed in at least 30 other exhibits.

Two Caterpillar products of interest at the show included the new D468 Caterpillar Diesel Truck Engine powering a MACK Truck (the first model in this product family) and an updated D7 Tractor. Several sales resulted from these displays, including an order for three D7s from our dealer in Kansas City.

• Like 2

P.T.CHESHIRE

Since I got my last Acmoc issue and read the article I actually have decided to repower My E model with a one of these engines(the D312 which is a 4 cylinder version of the D468) that I've had for a few years. I think it would be a great project because the motor in my E is not original and is full of water. The D468 is the same basic engine(the D4600) as the Cat D6 dozer, No. 12 grader, and DW10 scraper of the time. The D312 was the same basic engine(the D4400) as the Cat D4 dozer and No. 112 grader of the time.

Thanks, Josh

Another ACMOC person joints lousy with them LOL

would be a interesting conversion

Paul