Mack engines verses Volvo/MP

I am looking to get a truck for my farm and I am really leaning towards getting a Mack. The truck would pull a 40 foot hopper bottom grain trailer mostly in summer during harvest and fall to haul wheat once sold. Would I be better to get one with a Mack engine, as in 427 or 460 or get a littler newer one that has the Volvo based MP engine?

I would like to be above 400 HP. Today the longest commute would be 100 miles one way, mostly flat with a few hills.

A lot of the tucks I see with the Mack engines are getting up towards 1 million miles, and I know no one has a crystal ball but would I be foolish for getting one with this many miles? In my application I would put no more than a few thousand miles a year. I also have no problem working on stuff so I don't mind having to fix stuff.

I just want to know based on your experience which would be the better route to go. Currently we have a Kenworth T600 with 3406C Cat at 350 horse with 9 speed and 342 rear end that has a mounted 20 foot grain box. What transmission would be the best? What rear ends, any helpful info to help choose a truck would be great. Thanks!

Jeff

Edited by bigblockford_390

Go with an e7 vs the mp engine . The e7 is a almost bullet proof engine and very dependable and will do just as well at pulling as larger competitor engines . As far as trans go in my oppion a 9 or 10 speed is all that is needed for your application . Eaton transmissions are a little easier to shift than Mack trans and easier to pull out when a clutch is needed . You would not be disappointed with an e7 powered of what ever Mack model strikes your fancy

• Like 1

Go with the older, simpler E7, IMHO. If I may relate my experience this evening, it may help you decide...

First time in the 3 years I have worked for Brothers Auto Transport, I decided to go to work on a Sunday evening, just to get a head start on the short week, and help out, since we are so busy. Leave the house, 20 minutes to the yard, pop the hood,check the fluids, fire up the VOLVO, got a check engine light for "COOLANT CRITICALLY LOW". OK, pop the hood AGAIN, coolant right to level in the tank, mess with the sensor plug & wire in the rain & muddy yard, can't figure it out, not really my job. Long story short, no mechanic until 4am, so I am back home until they figure it out in the morning. I can't go to work, and lose 1 load this week because of an electronic faulty sensor. Not happy.

With issues like this, plus the new logbook mandate, I am more confident than ever moving forward with my 30 year old MH E7. Technology sucks lol.

Gregg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So far hands down the group recommends that the E7 is the better choice. The Mack trucks seems like a good bang for the buck, I see them for sale for less than similarly equipped truck of other makes which is a big plus for me. From searching around on here they seem like a good tough truck and I really like the looks of them, not that makes a difference in performance but its nice icing on the cake so to speak.

I wonder how that electronic log book applies to farming? I have a CDL from past employer and keep it each year to prevent having to get it again if I ever need it again, technically as long as I haul my own grain I do not need a CDL. How does that apply to older trucks that are mechanically controlled verses electronic? Do you have to add sensors and other crap so the wiz bang gadget the government says is needed will work? I know it is off topic but just couriois?

Go with the older, simpler E7, IMHO. If I may relate my experience this evening, it may help you decide...

First time in the 3 years I have worked for Brothers Auto Transport, I decided to go to work on a Sunday evening, just to get a head start on the short week, and help out, since we are so busy. Leave the house, 20 minutes to the yard, pop the hood,check the fluids, fire up the VOLVO, got a check engine light for "COOLANT CRITICALLY LOW". OK, pop the hood AGAIN, coolant right to level in the tank, mess with the sensor plug & wire in the rain & muddy yard, can't figure it out, not really my job. Long story short, no mechanic until 4am, so I am back home until they figure it out in the morning. I can't go to work, and lose 1 load this week because of an electronic faulty sensor. Not happy.

With issues like this, plus the new logbook mandate, I am more confident than ever moving forward with my 30 year old MH E7. Technology sucks lol.

Gregg

Tap the coolant jug with a rubber mallet, that usually does the trick.

On that note. The newer MP engines are smoother and more powerful than before. A non dpf MP7 is night and day compared to an AC/AI. The downfall of the MP is the cups/injectors, EATS component issues, and little issues like Underdog's story. I personally prefer a pre-2004 all Mack granite. The 460's I've driven have some crack and pull nice. I'd take a Mack trans over an eaton anyday although a 8LL is a decent trans. I think the Mack shifts better. If your off-road more than highway you can't go wrong with Mack rears on camelback, they are simplistic and have been proven forever. That being said if the bugs ever get worked out of the MPs they will be no joke.

I wonder how that electronic log book applies to farming? I have a CDL from past employer and keep it each year to prevent having to get it again if I ever need it again, technically as long as I haul my own grain I do not need a CDL. How does that apply to older trucks that are mechanically controlled verses electronic? Do you have to add sensors and other crap so the wiz bang gadget the government says is needed will work? I know it is off topic but just couriois?

There is a 100 mile radius for exemption, so where here recently is a thread on the new Electronic logs and things.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

So when the time comes for an overhaul on an E7, does Mack still use pressed in dry liners? I am not setup to deal with that if so. I have rebuilt both Cat engines and Cummins with wet liners.

Does anyone know an approximate take rate on Mack trucks between all Mack power-train verses Eaton? It seems online I am finding more with the Eaton. Maybe it is the models I am looking at, I like the looks of the Vision trucks as I need one with a sleeper.

Jeff

Tap the coolant jug with a rubber mallet, that usually does the trick.

On that note. The newer MP engines are smoother and more powerful than before. A non dpf MP7 is night and day compared to an AC/AI. The downfall of the MP is the cups/injectors, EATS component issues, and little issues like Underdog's story. I personally prefer a pre-2004 all Mack granite. The 460's I've driven have some crack and pull nice. I'd take a Mack trans over an eaton anyday although a 8LL is a decent trans. I think the Mack shifts better. If your off-road more than highway you can't go wrong with Mack rears on camelback, they are simplistic and have been proven forever. That being said if the bugs ever get worked out of the MPs they will be no joke.

Why tap with a mallet? Is that a float type sensor? I thought it odd that the sensor is in the bottom of the tank. Usually on the side halfway up... I am not near the truck, back home waiting for the shop to call.