B81SX is now in its new home

Today I finished painting the removable steel floor pieces (floor board, thin sheet metal holders for rubber gaskets around shifters, etc, steel box that covers the series parallel switch, and PTO/dump levers). While the floor board is out, we replaced the transmission mounts on both sides. The rubber, bolts, washers, and nuts are all new. The old mounts were absolutely trash.

Tomorrow I hope to back the truck outside, wire brush the rest of the cab floor, paint it, and then change the oil, oil filter, and clean the air filter.

post-18831-0-30476000-1455845264_thumb.j

post-18831-0-25814200-1455845337_thumb.j

post-18831-0-97144900-1455845421_thumb.j

Busy day today.

1. Removed the plow frame. This B-81 will most likely never plow again now.

2. Removed push plate and support arms.

3. Changed the oil and oil filter.

4. Changed the fuel filter.

5. Started cleaning the air cleaner. Started. The bottom pan was nearly chock full of silt and oily dirt. Last two pics show some of it.

6. Wire brushed the cab floor.

post-18831-0-31016200-1455921151_thumb.j

post-18831-0-81860800-1455921260_thumb.j

post-18831-0-20901700-1455921400_thumb.j

post-18831-0-32359500-1455927221_thumb.j

I'm not sure how efficient the old oil bath air cleaners were for fine particulates and such, but they did collect some crud for sure. The one I bought on here was loaded with crap. The truck is looking good...I sure do wish I had tome and funds for mine...maybe later in the year...I hope. Looking good.

Was the lower plow frame on yours welded on? Is that normal? My B42 has obviously plowed at some point. The upper frame is gone, but the lower frame is still on, and it's welded on so thoroughly, that I'm wondering if torching/cutting it off is going to make more of a mess than it's worth.... Especially since I'm not sure I can match whatever color the restorers used on the undercarriage.....

Stripped the paint off the bumper today. Looks like I'll be doing some surgery on it soon. 

Also, the middle floorboard is done and installed, along with the rubber seals around all the levers through the floor.

I also ran an air line to the shutterstat for the radiator shutters.

PS- not liking the new format. Can't upload more than one pic. That blows.

IMG_0749.JPG

IMG_0750.JPG

Today's progress:

1. Removed the seats. Cleaned them. Put screen over the air holes to keep rodents out.

2. Cleaned, primed, painted the seat frames.

3. Removed left front wheel. Stripped, cleaned, primed, and painted the wheel (silver) and  spokes (black).

4. Stripped diamond plate upper flat piece of bumper. Straightened out some dents and stuff, too.

I'd post pics, but my phone is giving me fits.

9 hours ago, thomastractorsvc said:

What is left on your punch list?

Everything. Heheheh.

I'm kind of just going through the truck and addressing things as I see them. For instance, today I noticed the front cab mounts (under the fenders) were loose. Now I'm digging into the truck to remedy them. Also, while I have the front wheel off, I noticed the pin holding the clevis to the slack adjuster was frozen. It took a while (with plenty of lube and heat) to get it free.

As far as the stuff I intend to look at and address, my best guess is the following:

1. Body work and paint on the exterior.

2. Paint the interior.

3. Paint all the wheels/spokes.

4. Take dump body off, fix issues with it, sandblast it, and paint it.

5. Install maxibrakes on it like I just did with the B61SX.

6. Re-wire lights as needed.

While I am doing those things, I am sure to bump into issues that will arise and have to be dealt with.

IMG_0751.JPG

IMG_0752.JPG

• Like 1

Today's progress:

1. Mounted the left front tire on the truck.

2. Stripped the paint off the left angle fender and welded a few tears up to repair it.

3. Removed right front wheel. Adjusted the brake. Freed up the pin on the clevis that attaches to the slack adjuster and slobbered it with never-seize.

4. Greased the king-pins on the right side while the axle is jacked up and wheel is off.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ekennedy21 said:

maybe not a good idea to use never seize on a moving part. It is very abrasive and will work like grinding compound in there. It is intended for parts that are stationary such as threads....

I did not know this very interesting to know 

on any pivots that are likely to seize I always cover in grease that way I figure moisture cant get in thru the grease dunno if it really works that well either but it cant hurt 

Paul