Gas treatment

Kansas farmer

Ok guys here's the question. What is the best gass additive you have found to keep old tractors going. I'm having some problem with the carburetors gumming up and the floats sticking. I am using e10 because that's what we have delivered to the farm. I use sea foam but it just doesn't seem to do the trick.

Bell Performance makes Ethanol Defense a specific additive for older vehicles. I use it in most all my vehicles new or old.

http://www.bellperformance.com/fuel-treatment/ethanol-defense

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

there is a product called stabil for lawn mowers and weed eaters works pretty good in them should work for a tractor

You have to use the Stabil Marine, the red actually contains more Ethanol so it is worst than none at all.

The Bell has additives to protect the older rubber, plastic and zinc cast carb an fuel pump parts. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

You have to use the Stabil Marine, the red actually contains more Ethanol so it is worst than none at all.

The Bell has additives to protect the older rubber, plastic and zinc cast carb an fuel pump parts. Paul

Yep, Stabil Marine (green).

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

My favorite for years now...

http://www.starbrite.com/en/startron

Can't get Starbrite in NY only Bell but both do the same job and same additives. Both are good

P.T.CHESHIRE

If it were mine I would do my best to locate no ethanol gasoline to use it in and then add a treatment. Here in VA, Pure stations sell non ethanol gasoline and that is all I use in my lawn and garden equipment. After I rebuild the carb on my 1940 John Deere, that is what I will use in it.

www.pure-gas.com

Ethanol-formulated gasolines are murderously corrosive to plastic and neoprene parts in modern fuel systems. I run the Ethanol-formulated Sta-Bil (the orange shit) in all of my small engines no matter what time of year it is. At the end of the summer, the lawn mower gets an extra capful of Sta Bil in the tank, and then it gets run dry as a bone. Same with the snow blower at the end of the winter.

The neoprene diaphragm on the FWD's mechanical fuel pump fell victim to ethanol-formulated gasoline a while back. It is a rare delco-remy pump, and I could not find a replacement diaphragm or pump, and was forced to install an electric pump as a result. The gas in the FWD gets treated as well, again no matter the time of year.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

What's the reason you can't get it there, some crazy NY law?

I guess no distributors or warehouses carry it to supply the store on the Island .

P.T.CHESHIRE

Thanks guys. Been using stabil but only for storage I think I'll get some of the other and try it.

Even treated gasoline (containing ethanol) should not be stored for more than a month or two. I keep track of all my mower gas- and if it is in the can for a month, I dump it into the FWD or the pickup truck.

My gen set- that I light off and run for an hour every 2-3 weeks only gets "Tool Fuel" in the tank....... which has an indefinite shelf life. If I have to use the gen set for an extended period of time I'll put regular (treated) gasoline in it but you can bet when I am done I empty it, run it dry and then flush it out by running for an hour with tool fuel.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

No mom and pop Auto supply stores any more all Auto Zone's, Pep Boys and such.

P.T.CHESHIRE