Jeep Finally Builds Wrangler-Based Pickup

kscarbel2

My J-30 is probably the toughest pick up I've owned but the tin worms love it.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Jeep Wrangler to stay in Toledo, Cherokee leaving, Wrangler-based pickup coming

Automotive News / September 1, 2015

Fiat Chrysler has decided to keep making the Jeep Wrangler in Toledo, Ohio, move production of the Jeep Cherokee to a nearby state and build a Jeep pickup.

The news comes after 11 months of uncertainty about the fate of Wrangler production in its historic home.

Details about the Wrangler and Cherokee were shared with Toledo plant management this morning in response to inquiries from Automotive News, based on an exclusive interview with CEO Sergio Marchionne on Aug. 21.

Automotive News has learned independently that Jeep will make a Wrangler-based pickup in Toledo, a move that will soften the blow of a transferred Cherokee -- Jeep’s best-selling vehicle.

Marchionne said that the automaker has “found a solution” to how best expand production of the Wrangler -- in Toledo.

Details of the plan will be announced after FCA’s contract talks with the UAW conclude; the contract expires Sept. 14. Separately, Automotive News has confirmed that the plan includes building a long-sought Wrangler-based pickup, likely in 2017 or 2018. That vehicle is under development.

In the interview, Marchionne provided some details of the emerging plan:

“We found a solution that accommodates a variety of other interests to us because of the way in which we can move some product around,” the CEO said. “It doesn’t take a rocket scientist [to know] that the only way I can move around the Wrangler is to move it into the other Toledo plant.”

An FCA spokeswoman said the company would not comment and that the CEO’s quotes stood for themselves.

Marchionne has said since January that he preferred to keep Wrangler production in Toledo.

FCA’s Toledo Assembly Complex is composed of two plants: one smaller body-on-frame plant that builds the Wrangler and another nearly new unibody plant that builds the Cherokee. The two lines share some common parts staging, but otherwise operate independently.

The plan would require the unibody plant, locally known as Toledo North, to be converted to body-on-frame assembly. The redesigned Wrangler would launch there.

Loss of the Cherokee is a blow to Toledo, which had sought to keep the vehicle and expand Wrangler production. Through August, the Cherokee is Jeep’s top-selling vehicle in the U.S., averaging 17,611 sales per month. However, that wound may be salved if new vehicles to be added prove as popular.

FCA’s plan would ensure that Wrangler production would continue while the plant is retooled for the redesigned 2018 Wrangler. The off-roader is one of the automaker’s most popular and profitable vehicles. Production of the redesigned Wrangler and pickup is planned to reach 350,000 per year, according to suppliers briefed on the plan.

The Cherokee would move, likely to Sterling Heights Assembly in Michigan, or possibly Belvidere Assembly in Illinois. Both plants are capable of building the Cherokee with little or no retooling, as the Cherokee shares a platform with the Chrysler 200 built in Sterling Heights and the Dodge Dart built in Belvidere.

Converting Toledo Assembly to all body-on-frame construction would solve another problem for FCA, Marchionne hinted.

It would allow FCA to retool Warren Assembly in Michigan, where it makes the hot-selling Ram 1500 pickup. Marchionne said that, like the Wrangler, he can’t afford to lose production of the Ram 1500 in order to retool.

“We still have Warren that’s not fixed from a manufacturing standpoint,” the CEO said. Marchionne said his two constraints are “that I can’t take down a day of Wranglers, and I can’t take down a day of trucks. So I need to move them around.”

A Wrangler-based pickup has been on Jeep enthusiasts’ wish list since the brand showed the Jeep Gladiator concept in 2005. The Gladiator was built on a Ram 1500 frame and shared Wrangler styling.

It is unknown whether the Wrangler-based pickup would be Gladiator-sized or smaller, to compete with the redesigned Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon, as well as a potential Ford Ranger pickup. Either way, the Jeep badge and underpinnings should allow it to sell at a premium above those offerings.

Unknown for now is what will happen to land the city of Toledo assembled for a possible Jeep expansion.

Toledo economic development officials have sought ways to close the cost gap and keep Wrangler in its historic home. For years, Toledo had been quietly buying industrial land adjacent to FCA’s sprawling Toledo Assembly Complex in case expansion was needed. To date, more than 100 acres are available nearby. That land could be made available for suppliers, or it could be saved for future expansion of the current Wrangler line.

post-16320-0-79971500-1441157190_thumb.j

Photo 3.jpg

Photo 4.jpg

Photo 5.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

New Jeep Wrangler pickup coming in late 2019

The Detroit News  /  March 2, 2017

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV plans to begin producing a Jeep Wrangler-based pickup truck in late 2019, the head of the Jeep brand said.

That truck does not have a name yet, but Jeep head Mike Manley and Fiat Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne are considering some historical Jeep names.

The last pickup sold by Jeep was the Comanche. It was produced from the 1985 through the 1992 model years, when the company discontinued it to focus on a Dodge Dakota pickup (the Dakota was discontinued in 2011).

Before that, the Willys Jeep Truck was built from 1947 through 1965, followed by the Jeep Gladiator full-size pickup from 1962 to 1971 and the J-Series from 1971 to 1988.

All of the Jeep trucks were built in Toledo, which is where the Wrangler-based pickup will be built.

Jeep for years has teased the idea of a pickup. It has shown pickup concepts before, such as the Jeep J-12 produced for the annual Moab Easter Jeep Safari off-roading event in 2012, and a Jeep Gladiator based on the Jeep Wrangler platform that was shown at the 2005 Detroit auto show.

Cox Automotive executive analyst Rebecca Lindland said automakers need to evaluate bringing back nameplates on a case-by-case basis. The Comanche name could be especially problematic.

“The issue they’re going to find with Comanche is, quite frankly, political correctness: Is it going to be seen as offensive,” she said. “The trick with bringing a nameplate back is understanding the current culture when you’re reintroducing this.”

Using Willys could also be difficult, as the name is seen “as the holy grail of Jeep,” said Lindland. She said Jeep might consider offering Willys as a trim line.

Many analysts had expected to see the Jeep Wrangler pickup begin production next year, which Jeep confirmed in January 2016 was coming. Analysts predict the likely midsize lifestyle-oriented pickup could sell about 40,000 to 45,000 annually.

LMC Automotive estimates a Wrangler pickup could have peak U.S. volume of up to 45,000 a year and likely will be priced higher than some competitors. Sales volume could be challenged by Ford Motor Co.’s midsize Ranger pickup that is expected to be reintroduced around the same time, the research firm said.

Manley said last week he expects the bulk of sales for the Wrangler pickup to be in North America and the Middle East. His comments came at an event in Texas to introduce the automotive press to the next-generation 2017 Jeep Compass.

Jeep will launch a new Wrangler SUV in the fourth quarter this year, Manley said. Fiat Chrysler is spending $700 million at its Toledo Assembly Complex to retool the north plant to produce the new Wrangler.

Manley said the Italian-American automaker is planning to maintain Wrangler production during the changeover to the next-generation SUV. The Wrangler is now produced in the Supplier Park part of the Toledo complex. Wrangler will shift to the north plant to give it more capacity, and Jeep will use the Supplier Park plant for the Wrangler truck, Manley said.

“The key thing for me is to make sure the new Wrangler is fully up and running,” Manley said of the timing for introducing a pickup.

Also in the works: Jeep plans to debut a new high-performance Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk at the New York International Auto Show in April. A facelift for the Cherokee is planned for next year.

Jeep production is being shifted at several facilities: Fiat Chrysler has stopped building the Jeep Cherokee in Toledo in order to move that SUV to Belvidere Assembly in Illinois. Production of the last-generation Compass and the discontinued Patriot ended in December in Belvidere. Manley said Cherokee production is expected to begin in the second quarter at Belvidere, where FCA is spending $350 million to retool.

In January, Fiat Chrysler said it would invest $1 billion to retool its Warren Truck Assembly Plant to build the all-new Jeep Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer and to retool in Toledo for the new Jeep pickup. The company said work for those projects was slated to be done by 2020 and would create more than 2,000 jobs.

Manley would not give a date on when work for the Wagoneers would start in Warren. He said it would be after the Ram 1500 pickup is shifted to the Sterling Heights Assembly Plant, where Fiat Chrysler is spending $1.48 billion for retooling on a new Ram due out in first quarter 2018.

“That pushes Grand Wagoneer probably until late ’19, or early ’20, which from a timing perspective I’m very very comfortable with, given all that we’ve got to achieve in the next two to three years,” Manley said.

The Grand Wagoneer had been planned to debut in 2018, per Fiat Chrysler’s five-year plan released in 2014.

Manley said the Grand Wagoneer could be sold in certain global regions such as the Middle East, China, Latin America and some Asian markets. Analysts expect the luxury Grand Wagoneer will compete with SUVs from brands such as Range Rover.

“They have customers, they have owners, that play in that space and that have the kind of income” for more expensive SUVs, Lindland said.

Manley said he expects Jeep this year to exceed its 2016 global sales of 1.4 million vehicles. U.S. sales, which rose 6.1 percent to 926,376 in 2016 will have a harder time topping 2016 figures because of plant changeovers, completing the launch of the new 2017 Jeep Compass, because it has stopped production of the old Compass and Patriot and as it has reduced fleet and rental sales, Manley said.

Jeep U.S. sales fell 6.9 percent in January compared to the same period a year ago; in February, they were down 14.7 percent for a drop of 11.1 percent through the first two months of 2017.

“All of those things combined will mean we’ll be down to flat this year in the U.S.,” he said.

Gladiator fulfills Jeep's long-delayed dreams of a pickup

Larry Vellequette, Automotive News  /  November 27, 2018

LOS ANGELES -- After a nearly 14-year tease of just-over-the-horizon promises and someday-soon product plans, Jeep showed the first production pickup to carry the brand's name in a generation: the 2020 Jeep Gladiator.

And Wednesday at the Los Angeles Auto Show, the brand put an end date on the horizon and identified someday-soon, promising that the Gladiator -- a descendant of an ultrapopular concept pickup of the same name Jeep first showed in 2005 -- would be in showrooms in the second quarter of 2019.

In styling and off-road performance, the 2020 Gladiator is a derivative of the Jeep Wrangler and shares a number of components and key attributes with the latest-generation JL Wrangler that went on sale this year, including removable doors, a removable roof and a folding front windscreen.

But while it is Wrangler-based, the Gladiator is distinct from the iconic off-roader, with a frame that is 31 inches longer and a wheelbase that is 19.4 inches longer to carry its 5-foot cargo bed.

Engine power

Under its hood clips, the Gladiator will be powered by either the standard 285-hp 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 gas engine or -- beginning in 2020 -- an optional 260-hp 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V-6 diesel engine mated to either a six-speed manual transmission or optional eight-speed automatic. Both engines will come with electronic stop-start systems standard to improve fuel efficiency.

In exterior styling, the Gladiator freely apes the popular JL Wrangler, incorporating much of the SUV's exterior lighting and design cues while departing in some small ways to improve capability. One example: The seven slots in the Jeep grille are larger on the Gladiator than they are on the Wrangler to enhance airflow for towing, allowing the Gladiator to boast up to 7,650 pounds of towing capacity and up to 1,600 pounds of payload capacity with an optional Max Towing package.

Roof options

The Jeep pickup also will come with three available options for removing its roof, depending on trim level:

• A standard black hard top, available across all models.

• A premium Sunrider soft-top system with retainers that slide into tracks to make the top easier to remove and reinstall.

• Body-colored removable hard-top options on the Overland and Rubicon trims.

The Gladiator's 5-foot bed comes equipped with underrail lighting to illuminate the cargo area, integrated cargo tie-downs and an available covered, external 115-volt plug.

Interior, storage

Inside, the Gladiator picks up a number of the Wrangler's styling cues and features, especially in first-row seating and instrumentation, including its optional 8.4-inch touch-screen Uconnect infotainment system. But the second-row seats are exclusive to the pickup, with seat bottoms that fold up to expose a storage compartment with an optional lock, and a seat back that can lock in place for additional secure storage. A front-looking camera is standard on Rubicon trim levels to allow the driver a clear view of obstacles ahead during off-road use.

The Gladiator is equipped to hang with the Wrangler in terms of off-road capability, with third-generation Dana 44 front and rear axles, Jeep's Command-Trac 4x4 system on the Sport and Overland trims and its Rock-Trac heavy-duty off-road system standard on the Rubicon trim. Despite its extended frame, the pickup boasts an approach angle of 43.6 degrees, a break-over angle of 20.3 degrees and a departure angle of 26 degrees, with 11.1 inches of ground clearance, Jeep says.

The brand also says the Gladiator is capable of safely fording up to 30 inches of water.

Pricing was not announced. The pickup is being assembled in the southern half of FCA's Toledo Assembly Complex, which also assembles the Wrangler. Workers on the Gladiator line are building pilots daily, with production slated to ramp up significantly after the first of the year.

Photo gallery - http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Site=CA&Date=20181128&Category=LA_AUTO_SHOW&ArtNo=112809999&Ref=PH&Profile=1252

Photo 5.jpg

Photo 4.jpg

I would like to see the return of the full-size J-series pickups, based on the 2019 Ram 1500 and 2020 Ram HD product. If the Chevrolet/GMC spin works for GM, it certainly could work for FCA. The Jeep brand is their cash cow, and a full-size pickup would increase the cash inflow.

• Like 2

Kaiser  M715 is what you are thinking about.  We had a few in Vietnam, had a OHC six in it and it leaked oil like hell

4651794930_5f3e937d42_b.thumb.jpg.06025cb6e7251cd6a59e1bf9e8f72f0f.jpg

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

So I’d like to know why one members snarky comments get left on every thread but if anyone disagrees with them they get their post deleted. This is bullshit. 

• Like 1

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

21 minutes ago, HeavyGunner said:

So I’d like to know why one members snarky comments get left on every thread but if anyone disagrees with them they get their post deleted. This is bullshit. 

I can't answer your question.

However, I'd like to know how I start out attempting to post a interesting thread on Jeep pickups......and end up with one BMT member focused on bashing another member?  Where'd that come from? That was never my intent in posting about Jeep pickups. I have a personal interest in Jeep's pickup heritage, then and now, and thought some other BMT members might share my interest.

C'mon man, we're all better than that......you're better than that. We're all a little different.....the world would be an awful dull place if we were all the same. And if we can't get along, the BMT family, in this otherwise dysfunctional world, then what's left???

59 minutes ago, Maxidyne said:

My apologies if I was a bit snarky. I'm no fan of FCA, but I have to admit some of their products are good value and work well for some folks.

Unfamiliar with the word, I googled and saw "snarky" means sharply critical or snide...........https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=vzIAXMuLEIK45gK67I-oCg&q=snarky&btnK=Google+Search&oq=snarky&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0i131j0j0i131j0l7.2402.5868..6671...2.0..0.78.517.8......0....1..gws-wiz.....0..0i10.lCm0qm33rzg

Personally speaking, your comments here did not come across to me this way. I welcome your comments, which clearly are based on in-depth industry knowledge and experience.