B-73 Restoration

• 2 weeks later...

More primer and paint!! Getting a lot of this tedious little stuff done while the weather keeps me inside. Etch primed all the transmission and radiator pieces. Painted the radiator tanks silver, after etch priming. Did all the interior areas silver where you can't reach, to cover the raw aluminum to prevent corrosion, the exterior surfaces will be polished.

IMG_1574.JPG

IMG_1573.JPG

16 minutes ago, Red Horse said:

Very nice Matt- what is your method that keeps the overspray in control?  Your shop looks clean!

It's super high tech- a 20" box fan in the back window, sometimes a second one in the next window. Works OK, unless it's windy. Saturday the wind spun it backwards and the blew it out of the sill. Had to close it all up, so there was a little more mess in the shop. I've been using my smaller gun on these parts, my 1 qt. gun would put out a lot more overspray. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mike said:

I have to spray late at night in order to get a decent look. The winds are calm by 11:00p.m. most of the time. And still wet the floor to keep the dust down.

Always seams when we spray late at night the damn bugs take over. 

• Like 2

On 3/7/2017 at 8:47 PM, Hobert62 said:

Always seams when we spray late at night the damn bugs take over. 

Momma get Real-Kill, or No Bugs Ma Lady. No, on a serious note, What ever i'm painting, it is ready when I get in at night, so lights go on the time i'm painting. Then lights out while the 10 minutes of drying time, go inside and have a beer, then back out in the garage for next coat. Paint and repeat steps for each coat. I have rubbed insects out after it has a day of drying.

I grew up turning lights out after leaving a room. Still do.

Have to work this weekend, so barn time is limited. But got some hours in Friday night on the radiator. I forgot how complex this one is in terms of assembly. I took this apart quite some time ago for inspection and to get a new core for it. Had to send several pieces out for some repairs and welding. I swapped out all the hardware for stainless steel. When I opened the boxes I found a receipt from 2002!! Where the hell did that time go? Seems like a short time ago I ordered it. Any way, it's getting done now.

IMG_1579.JPG

IMG_1578.JPG

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 3:29 PM, Hobert62 said:

Wow!    I thought I was the only one that knew a light switch had an off position too.   

I do it out of reflex, you leave a room, you turn off the lights. The nights I've come home to find every light in the house blazing away only to find one person home!! 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Red Horse said:

Nice and given temps we have up here in MA, don't think its that much warmer down in Berlin-how do you heat that barn?

I now have a "Hot Dawg" heater mounted to the ceiling above my glass bead cabinet. Heats up the shop very quickly and pretty cheap to run. Even when it's frigid out it works well. Runs on propane. Started off with a wood stove that was there when I bought the place years ago. Too much mess and work with it, plus the hazard. Really like this heater, come home turn it on, go inside change go back out and it's warm enough to work.

3 hours ago, Hobert62 said:

That's the type heater I'm thinking of for my garage.   Currently I just use a torpedo heater to warm it up

I used one for a while, very noisy. Had to wear ear plugs or muffs to concentrate. Plus, it's hard to regulate the temp. This setup is great, turn it on set the temp, turn it off and walk away.

• Like 1