? FOR THE EXPERTS

wilbur

I have a 2000 CH with Eaton rears. I am looking to shave some weight to help with payload. My idea is to remove the front carrier with the power divider and replace it with the rear carrier. This will make the rear axle a floater. I will make some adapters to mount a trailer lube cap on the axle flange studs an cover the front of the carrier housing with a piece of thin aluminum. I will also add a valve to just drop the air in the floater axle to put all the weight on the front drive axle. This I think will help on unlevel ground. I dont go off road I just haul from the Quarry to an Asphalt plant. Im thinking this will lose around 800# Carrier with power divider and 2 axle shafts.

Your thoughts and opinions are Appreciated. Thanks

Forget the alummin ideal for a cover on the rear housing because the carrier bolted in there is the housings strength.I have seen many carriers loosen the mounting bolts from the movement of the housing flexing and grease leaking.Also you will now be put full torque thru one ring and pinion where two was designed to carry the power.But I have seen a lot of guys do this with out problems but for 800 lbs I would not take the chance.And I am no expert but have read a lot of books on trucks.

glenn akers

Hey wilbur, where you located? I have a rear rear spicer in my truck that's in good shape, front rear needs new yoke bearing, but for your idea, you could buy a used trailer axle and bolt that in place of the rear rear, and use my rear rear in the forward position. I'm thinking of trying to find some mack rears for my truck. My ratio is 3:54

Roadway Express used that concept for years Hendrickson Walking Beam Suspension with front driven only last axle was a tag not a empty pumpkin like you want to do. Even with the Hendrickson Walking Beam they would get stuck on level ground with a bit of snow with a little imperfection of the ground. Forget about going p snow covered hills without jewelry.Joe D.

• Like 1

Don't you have uneven, loose and possibly muddy ground to get around at the quarry? From the couple of tandems I've seen on farms around here with a dead axle there's no way I would give up power to both.

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

I did some more checking,an for it to work I will need a different heavy duty front carrier. Thats why spicer says only a 400# weight savings. Its just too expensive for me to only gain $9.00 a day. Thats why I shy away from super singles. I would like to thank everyone for the help. If you have any ideas that are cheap to save weight let me know. Thanks Wilbur. If anyone ever comes to the Thornton Quarry give me a hollar Im there 16 times a day. I have a white ch with silver flames pulling a trail king aluminum.