Matlack R Model wanted

Mustang22363

Welcome aboard Mustang

Good luck with the search so will you paint it up like Matlack colours ect ???

I wouldnt even know were to begin looking but the forum here would be a good spot Do you have the specs of the truck your trying to find might help people narrow down the search a bit

Paul

Paul, thanks for your reply. The last R model I saw from my father's company was in 1993.

At that time it was a R686ST with a 300 maxidyne, 5 speed combination. The fuel tank were

the silver aluminum as seen in this photo. The wheels were steel and painted yellow. The

interiors had one seat with no passenger seat. I am not sure of the spring ratings but the

trucks were hauling up to 80,000 lbs of liquid or bulk. They were plain Jane's really.

Looking around for a couple of years the aluminum fuel tanks are less common.

you can tell a lot from a photo the easiest way I know of telling the difference is shape of the hub center

in Australia if the hub looks like this

it is what I would call a 34000 pound back end flat in the center of the hub

post-17290-0-15950500-1437337675_thumb.j

now if it looks like this

a raised cone with six studs holding it all together it is what I call 44000 pound back end

post-17290-0-96419200-1437338133.jpg

if it looks the same as the one above but with 8 studs holding the cone on it is a 58000 pound back end

post-17290-0-66469700-1437338169_thumb.j

now the one thing to remember is that the US had a lot more models and configerations than we ever did out here but if you have some photos it should help to narrow down what your looking for

The same can be done for the front axle as well and with that and the years of trucks that you are looking for you can hone right in on trucks for sale in a few seconds of looking at photos

somebody should on here be able to give a good idea of the wheel base

once you get the basics there wouldnt have been that many trucks built that way over that time frame and the list gets narrowed right down

300 maxidyne

5 speed maxitorque

no sleeper

aluminum fuel tanks

what ever the ass end

and what ever the front end is

and a wheel base of ??? long

with these basics I dont feel it would take long to sort the grain from the chaff in most cases only a few minutes or less

good luck with the search Im sure some people on here can with what the way tell the front axle types

I wonder does the Mack museum have any details might be worth a phone call

keep us informed of what you find I like a good story with a happy ending

Paul

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you have anyway to check the serial numbers. we had a 76 R686ST 10834 that we hauled grain for years then sold it to a local farmer. it is short with a stationary fifth wheel and had a newer cab put on it. it could be a Matlack truck don't know. if you want to check the numbers I can see if the guy wants to sell it. he has had it about 10 years. Ron

He could have the number checked at the Museum, I believe they can give him a id on who purchased it originally.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 11 months later...
On 7/17/2015 at 0:11 AM, Mustang22363 said:

My father drove for Matlack Inc. for 35 years. They went out of business in 2001. I was wondering if

anyone knows of an R Model that was part of their company fleet. My plans would be to restore it.

Thanks for any responses to this.

Are you still interested in locating a Matlack r model? I have a lot of the specs of what they were built with if you want them, this is the one my dad drove

image.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Shortcircuit7044. Thanks for your response. Where did your father drive out of ? My dad drove out of a terminal in Oregon, Ohio
 for 30 years. I am interested in the specs. Funny Buzzard. I would be interested of the one that may exist in central Ohio.

Thanks again for both of your responses.

Scott

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Mustang22363 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rkvb0PZlNM

This is an old Matlack truck. If anyone watches the video and knows where it is located please respond.

Here is the filmers e mail address from U tube.

mtrazzera@gmail.com

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...